Are people inherently Good or Evil?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Are people inherently Good or Evil?

• Good

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Evil

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

Super Feen

probably not a skrull
Jun 23, 2001
Erection Cove
This has probably been done before just like everything else on these f0's, but hey, what do I care? :p

Well, I think that people are inherently Good but society caters to evil people and evil actions.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
People are inherently human, and the concepts of good and evil are human inventions. We're inherently both.

MxFxSunrise

Jul 21, 2000
Looking in from the outside
I think people are inherintley good as it has more social benifits and humans are a social species. If there were no society we couldn't control ourselves and chaos would ensue. Just try and think of life if society didn't exist!

Tarantella

Dances with spiders.
Apr 1, 2001
Visit site
People are neither inherently good or bad but they are inherently incapable of thinking through the ramifications of what they do whether singularly or en masse.

MxFxSunrise

Jul 21, 2000
Looking in from the outside
I disagree. What you are saying is people aren't capable of looking at their actions based on the outcome? The choice is really based on the ramifications, that's how we make choices, and generally we choose everything we do. On a basic level weight the outcome; would this yield more positive then negative result, if so then it must be good, if not then is it worth it (does the one or two positives outweigh the many negatives). Now you could argue that just because it is a good outcome for you does not make the act just or good. To that I would say: In most cases (normal non-drain bramaged people) we know that causing others harm/discomfort ect. is wrong. Why you ask? Well by hurting someone or stealing or doing whatever random bad act you want we are openley showing others that this act is acceptable in our eyes. We are saying It's OK to murder or whatever. We are also telling ourselves it's ok. When we constantly tell outselves its ok we will become habitual (the act becomes a habit). We also look at the act from our own point of view. It's not OK to murder because I would not like someone to murder me (but that is a very self serving argument).
SUNRISE's CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK: Come up with an argument that tells us why "bad" acts are wrong.
Note This argument can't contain anything to do with society at large ie. laws, punishment ect. Base your anwser on a personal descicion only considering the person(s) you are acting upon. This could also get into defining vices and virtues but I don't want to get into that nast stuff unless I have to.

PS-It is worthy to mention that in doing good or bad acts we again become habitually good or bad.

Tarantella

Dances with spiders.
Apr 1, 2001
Visit site
By my previous statement I meant that although people can see through to the short term outcome of their action, they rarely do the long term.Im trying to distinguish here between small acts of kindness and opportune moments of misconduct with say the way in which mankind treats the envirinment.

(departs for work 07.07 GMT)

XinderbocK

Sep 27, 2001
Los, California
Visit site
Dreaming will get you nowhere

I have always thought it is easy to find good ppl. But lately I am wondering if everyone even me are EVIL central. The are good ppl but there either dead or in church.

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Originally posted by Entropy|BuF
Neither, because you just get into the argurment of what is good and evil. Both are supported on every individuals specific belief in faith and morals.
What I think is evil you may believe is good and vice versa.
So my answer is, neither.

Well, then you head into a quandary that they is no good or evil and hence no right or wrong (universal right or wrong mind you). Then you get the problem of people doing whatever they want and then you have no basis for saying what they did was right or wrong. And thusly you really can't punish them, you can only force your right/wrong on them if you happen to be stronger.

Soon after all morals disintegrate and the only thing left is to look out for number one. This leads to a society which only looks after itself and there is no reason to contribute to the greater good of the whole.

Originally posted by SUNRISE
I think people are inherintley good as it has more social benifits and humans are a social species. If there were no society we couldn't control ourselves and chaos would ensue. Just try and think of life if society didn't exist!

You just contradicted yourself. If we are basically good, why would we degenerate to chaos if there were no society?

Allison

I need more cowbell!
Sep 8, 2000
Visit site
I think you're going a little overboard there, Thrakhath. You seem to be forgetting that you currently live in a society that is not based on what you call a universal right and wrong. Instead it has been, and continues to be, a society created from a consensus of people with different views and beliefs. And so far, we haven't fallen into a state of moral chaos, as you describe.

XinderbocK

Sep 27, 2001
Los, California
Visit site
Allison is right not all ppl go by the Yes this is right & no this is wrong, they do it coz they either need money or they need drugs or there just crazy. Whatever the case ppl do what they do coz there know it is wrong or coz the have too to feed there kids and family. There will never be a society that will be perfect, together, think on the same plain or think alike. That is what makes us "us".

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
When humans are free to do what they want without social pressure or laws they are selfish and cruel. They steal, they rape, they kill, they even torture just for fun.

It's only education, ethnics and social pressure that turns (some of) us into 'civilized' beings. Take that away and we're still animals.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
It may sound funny, but one thing that reassured me that humans are evil is the internet and online gaming. In the anonymity of internet forums (w/o moderation) or online gaming server people are free to develop their private little Mr. Hide: Where nobody can punish them, they troll, they cheat, they give their best to piss everybody off and ruin the place, they code aimbots and viruses, they visit and post the most disgusting webpages you can think off. Really sick stuff.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
Humans are inherently neutral, and the world that we live in shapes wether we become good or bad. Someone's balance is judged by the path their life takes, it's not pre-determined

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Evil, most definitely. If we're naturally good, why on earth do our parents and teachers have to spend years hammering it into us? If we're naturally good, why do we have to be threatened with the bears eating us up, or Mr. Scissorhands cutting off our thumbs, or God sending us to Hell for eternity?