About laser sights, bots, and perf.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
Finally I have gotten DSL and will begin to go online. However, after a long break from INF. and then coming back, I remember a couple primary issues I have had (maybe someone can calm me on this).
Basically, the laser sights seem to go all over the place completely out of control while running, sprinting, or even walking and crawling. This seems like a bug because no matter how fast you are going the sight just zips and zaps all over the place. Will this be fixed on the next release?? It will be so much more polished if so...

Also does anyone know if the bots will stop shooting me in the back in the next release? Or if they will stop walking in circles? (I hate to compare, but in TacOps the bots seem to go where they are supposed to, and in StrikeForce the bots obey orders, although I despise SF's order system... very shiitty). I know all this is coming sooner or later, but just wondering if it will be for the next release.

One last question, what do people or the team themselves think is the major factor in why INF hits my FPS so hard compared to other mods and even UT? Is it the levels? (I only use the official maps mostly) the first person gun models, the player models, etc?? Whatever. I am just extremely curious about why INF runs kind of crappy. It is obviously the most realistic and complicated mod out there and I'm sure that has to do with it, but is there a MAJOR factor as to why its sorta choppy? Is it a little of everything maybe?

Thanks
and hopefully I will see some of yu online. :)
I love this mod!!

Last edited:

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
The bots moving in circles looks more like a pathing issue rather than AI... if you play with very small bot teams and have all the bots on your team follow you as one squad, you probably won't notice much of a difference...

What skill level do you set for your bots? At Trainee I get shot from behind regularly, while in General they're a lot better about it (although their tendency to run-and-gun on the latter skill level gets a big annoying; when Yurch "officially" releases RA Version 2, keep the original as well for offline play) The skill levels between Sergeant and Major give a pretty good balance.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
Yeah, I usually set them to General, and yes the run 'n gunnin' gets way out of hand. I will try the skills you have suggested, sounds good. I also use the largest suggested team size, usually. I have found this to be a mistake now. B4 I jsut wanted to have as much action as possible, but now I realize it takes away from the tactics. However, bots are too stupid to appreciate tactics in INF, so "a pinging we will go". I need people.

Does anyone besides me have the wacky laser sights when moving?

Is everyone's INF Lite working since the last release of INF? I tried reinstalling but that stupid mut. won't load up! Its in the mutator menu, but that's all I get from it now.

I know, lottsa questions. So flood me with answers; I deserve it!

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
stand 500meters away from a really tall dark colored wall, get a laser pointer and point it at the wall where you can see it and run at it full tilt (while trying to keep the dot centered) and you'll get the answer to your question about the laser sights.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
I really don't see what you are talking about. I was playing in Manor Farm (and every other map for that matter) with the Sig and a laser scope attatchment and when I walk or run, or crouch and move, 500 meters away, 10 meters away, or even point blank to a wall, the laser dot goes whacko. Shaking like it has had waaayy too much caffiene.
This bothers me beause in the previous release the laser dot would sway back and forth with the characters running movement, Now THAT is realistic, not a spastic jittering motion.
Trust me, I got up face to face with a wall and it still does it.

Anyway, I asked you if anyone else had this problem, I don't see how starting up INF on my end would tell me this. What was my answer supposed to be, btw, mister mysterious....cube thingy...

I want to know from the team more specifically if it is a bug in INF. or maybe my copy of INF got corrupted over the last many months and I should try to re-download the thing.
Remember: the laser dot is not swaying to and fro when I move but shaking and jittering.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
Does anyone think it could be a symptom of not using Glide?

I usually use D3D.

Here's my specs:
P4 1.7
256 RDRAM
GeForce2 GTS (32mb)
Santa Cruz
Some Intel MB

Also using INF 2.86 and UT's latest patch.
1024x768 32 or 16 (either one gives same laser prob.)
All details on high except for detail textures which are off.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
Really??

Do you think they will fix the way it looks for the next release?? I sure hope so.

But its good to hear a response about it for once :) (thanks, btw)

The OpenGL renderer in INF does give me slightly better performance, but whats really great is how good it runs in 32 bit color with detail textures on. I don't know why I didn't notice this before because I have used the new renderer in the past. I must have been drinking that day.

Now if only the bots on my team will stop shooting me and each other and if someone will path the maps better(and fix the laser sights) then the mod will have come far enough for me. The rest is extra IMO.

Thanks again everyone. I am relieved to see other view points on the subjects i posted.

Last edited: