Killzone

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mr.Pac Stealy

Getting better...
Dec 4, 2000
A lost place in Holland.
Hey,

Almost finished my level. To give you an idea of the question I have, let's take Face. When you fall of the ground, you squish against the ground. But in my level you can shoot the teleporter down in space, and then you're walking in space under the ground and forts. Can I fix this with killzones?
I tried, put a sheet under the ground and under that an zoneinfo with damage 1000. Why doesn't this work?

Oh yeah, another question. About the texture of a mover. It's a pilar with starts in the ground and moves above. Only the texture isn't lighted. Only the part which is lighted in the begin stance. So when it moves up, you see a dark pillar. How do you fix this problem?

Thanks for the help.

mr.Pac Stealy

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
1.Have you put bKillzone to true? and check if the zone is correctly partitioned (using the 'zone view' of Ued).You can also edit the variable damagePerseconds set it to 1000 so it will deal 1000 damage/sec to everything inside of it.

2-don't understand the problem

mr.Pac Stealy

Getting better...
Dec 4, 2000
A lost place in Holland.
I tried the first solution, but it didn't work. So there will be a hole somewhere, I think.

But the second problem. I'll try to explain it again.

It is about a mover, which is a pillar that starts in the ground and go up, when you stand on it. Only the part which you can see when it is in the begin stance is affected by the lighting. The part which is in the ground in the begin stance isn't affected by the lighting. Even when the mover goed up, it keeps the lighting from the beginning stance, so the pillar is dark when you see it going up. That's the problem, see ya?

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
The engine chooses a particular frame of the mover & calculates the lighting on the textures for that position. Which frame is used is set in one of the mover properties (not sure which, but a mover tute should say. it's something faily self-explanatory :) )

Otherwise, you can set your mover to use dynamic lighting -- again under the mover properties -- and its lighting will change as it moves. bear in mind that this uses extra engine resources, so to use this your mover should be in a relatively low-poly area. Doesn't need to be in a plain box. I've found that a poly count of 150-200 around a dynamic light mover isnt a problem when the mover isn't visible from other areas of the map.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
sure, you can set the polys of the mover brush to 'unlit' but it'll look kinda weird.
Try setting the RayTraceKey (I think that's what its called) to 1, so the mover's polys are lit in the open position.

mr.Pac Stealy

Getting better...
Dec 4, 2000
A lost place in Holland.
The killzone works now, thanks for that. Only the textures of the movers won't work right.
I'm thinking now to set them to unlit, only I don't know where I can do that. I searched through all the mover properties, but can't find it.
Dynamic lighting doesn't look good also. The lighting jumps over from dark to light, so that isn't the way I want it also.
Any suggestions?

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
unlit is a property of the polys, not the brush.
right-click > mover > show polys

select the polys, & change 'unlit' in the poly flags box.
you'll then need to rebuild to make the mover polys go away again.

If your mover touches world polys, you may need to move it into an open area before showing the polys.

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Killzones doesn't work, use a PainZone.

If it's a CTF the DamageInstigator isn't enough, you need a PainZone to return the flag (like in Face).

Epic uses a DamegeInstigator above a Painzone in their CTF maps, the DI kills the player and the PZ returns the flag (with a slight delay).

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
to fix the dark mover:
set the mover to be in it's raised position while creating the map, but make it lower when no one's stood on it, if you can do that, when the engine renders it, it will be properly lit, but should start in the ground still