PDA

View Full Version : Modulated

StoneViper
26th Nov 2001, 12:24 AM
I still can't figure out what that "modulated" is under the texture surface properties. Can someone tell me it exactly what it is and what is it's uses are?

Luv_Studd
26th Nov 2001, 04:45 AM
I believe one use for modulated is to use it with that wet floor texture with ripples in it (see DM-Scythe, my last map). create a sheet brush about 128x128 and find the texture (in one of the FX pack, i believe). you must also set the brush above the floor about 1 unit high or so. the properties of translucent must also be set.

Balton
26th Nov 2001, 07:55 AM
I cant explain it well in english but did you ever try to use this on a texture? It is liek a filter in photoshop. you can use it good for water, sky and such textures... always feel free to experimentate!!!!

Hourences
26th Nov 2001, 08:35 AM
no, its like translucent, but it does the reversed

with translucent, ued makes everything thats black, much lighter, uintill you can see trough it, with modulated he does the same but with white, thats the basic thing that happends

Balton
26th Nov 2001, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Hourences
no, its like translucent, but it does the reversed

with translucent, ued makes everything thats black, much lighter, uintill you can see trough it, with modulated he does the same but with white, thats the basic thing that happends

...so its kinda like a filter in photoshop...

Chrysaor
26th Nov 2001, 04:30 PM
haha@balton :D

the water rings are in HubEffects btw

Balton
26th Nov 2001, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Chrysaor
haha@balton :D

well hourences explained it very accurate. I didnt knew wghat to say. since the propertie reminds me of the "sumi-e" filter in photoshop i tried to explain it this way and well... it kinda works... for me ofcourse...

Lord Dill
26th Nov 2001, 05:19 PM
Hourences did explain it well, however im not sure if the texture needs a white backround. Ive used Grey Modulated textures before. The blood textures in texture pack "Indus1" can used to bloody up any part of your map. You just use sheets and add blood marks where ever you what them. Set it to modulated and unlit and bingo you got blood stains :)

Hourences
26th Nov 2001, 05:22 PM
yess offcourse, but its works on the lighter pixels and stuff, mainly white but everything that has light coloured stuff in it will be gone, hard to explain, but thats it kinda

Chrysaor
26th Nov 2001, 06:03 PM
If u want to see it in action, try adjusting the display properties of a light box from Translucent to Modulated. It's plain in the editor :D

StoneViper
26th Nov 2001, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys!
I think im now one level smarter in the arts of mapping.

Chrysaor
26th Nov 2001, 10:18 PM
I've come to realize that there are too many levels to mapping :)

StoneViper
26th Nov 2001, 10:47 PM
indeed, way too many

Chrysaor
26th Nov 2001, 11:45 PM
hehe :)