Dualboot question: Win98 / WinXP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which OS?

• Win XP

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Win 2000

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Currently I'm running Win 98. But I'm thinking of adding either XP or 2000 and run it in dual boot.
So how does one do that.

This are my drives:

Harddisk 1:
Drive C: Windows98 + Programms
Drive D: Games + Mp3s

Harddisk 2:
Drive E: Various stuff

I could empty HD 2 and install the second OS there. My question is if I can still access C and D then. D should be no problem. But what about C? Do I have to install all stuff there on E too?

Then I'm not sure if I should go for Win2000 or XP. I took a look at XP and wasn't that impressed. The interface looks very childish, but it seems can be customized to have a more professional look.
I heard it has problem with Creative soundcards. I got an old Soundblaster Live!1024. Will it run?

Last edited:

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
If you already have win98 there is no point in taking XP as a second OS. The only thing XP is better in then W2K is running old software, but you can do that with win98. W2K on the other hand is more stable and faster then XP.
So if I were you I'd go for W2K, you can use most of the programs you installed under win98 as long as they don't use regkeys. For example, if you instal office 97 under win98 you can still use Word, but not excel under W2K. Most games/programs however work fine, good software will create it's own regkeys if they are missing.
And if a game/program which you installed under win98 doesn't run under W2K because of missing regkeys. Then just install it under W2K, but in the same directory as you installed it in under win98.
Also, don't forget to make a backup with norton ghost(or other backup software) of your win98 partition before you install W2K. If you decide you don't like the dualboot config you can always go back to win98 only in 5 minutes :)

I'm running win98SE and W2K in dualboot myself. W2K for normal use and it's stability, and win98 to run old software like Warcraft II<--that game 0wnz :D

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I used XP for a bit, and my Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 worked fine.

Oh, and I much rather have XP over win2K. They have all the same features from what I could see, except XP got much much more. A very nice and updated interface, support for Win98 programs and games, everything you could want!

TwoHardCore

Feb 1, 2000
Calgary, Canada
Yes win2k can read your c: drive no problem. I've installed all my games on ME (c: drive) and they boot up fine in 2k-Pro. Win2k is faster than XP, and ATM is better for running apps such as Photoshop, Illustrator, 3dsMax etc.

There's been a few benchmarks on the web between 2k and XP and it shows that 2k is slightly faster. I personally hate the interface of XP (even after tweaking it) and much prefer 2k. I figure after MS releases an update for XP it will outpace 2k, but for now, I'd suggest 2k.

I'd suggest you check your hardware for compatibility before buying XP. Many people swear that XP is the best OS Microsoft has ever made, but I'll stick with 2k until I need to upgrade. IMO, 2k is an outstanding OS (6 mos+ and NO CRASHES + NO BSOD's). I've only had problems with IE 5.5 (when visiting certain sites it will shut down and restart IE).

/me humps 2k-Pro :)

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
Originally posted by Twisted Metal
Oh, and I much rather have XP over win2K. They have all the same features from what I could see, except XP got much much more. A very nice and updated interface, support for Win98 programs and games, everything you could want!

XP's compatibility with old software isn't as good as MS want us to believe. You still can't run Warcraft II(old dos game) with sound enabled and Pirch98(irc client) won't connect, just to name a few.
And all those extra features XP has aren't really that good. Sure you can burn CD's now, but if you really want to get into burning CD's you'll take third party software like Nero/Easy CD Creator anytime. Editing video's with XP sux btw, Adobe Premiere does it way better. MSN messenger(it's called windows messenger in XP right?) is also availeble for all the other windows versions.
And what other features are there worth mentioning?

XP has a bloated interface which hogs your system resources, if you like it is just a matter of taste. I for one really hate it ;)