PDA

View Full Version : 3rd person weapon one- or twohanded

The_Pixie
25th Nov 2001, 08:57 AM
A 3rd person weapon model can be handled as a one-handed or two-handed weapon by the player model. What decides this? I cannot find anything in the code for it. Is it part of the model?

Thanks for any help.

Captain Kewl
25th Nov 2001, 09:16 AM
Weapons are attached to a weapon bone/poly on the player model. As UT only supports a single weapon bone/poly per model, 3rd person weapon models are effectively one handed only. It's an engine limitation.

The_Pixie
25th Nov 2001, 09:31 AM
I found out what it was, it's depending on the Mass property.

I set the mass to 15.0000, then the weapon is held with one hand only (good for pistols and knifes). Default Mass is set to 100 in the Actor-class, and held with two hands.

Wormbo
25th Nov 2001, 10:20 AM
Every weapon with mass > 15.0 is considered as big. This is coded somewhere in Pawn or PlayerPawn.

Captain Kewl
25th Nov 2001, 11:17 AM
Oh, whoops.... Thought you meant two-handed as in akimbo. Sorry!

The_Pixie
25th Nov 2001, 12:29 PM
Cool Cap, thanks for replying anyway :)

Eater1
25th Nov 2001, 12:33 PM
Actual, you can make akimbo weapons visible in third person if you make your own player models, it will just require some "ugly" techniques. Just make the player hold up two hands when the weapon is bAkimbo or something like that (or maybe you could use the same mass variable, when it's, say, over 40 or something). The weapon triangle will be on one hand, but the third person weapon model will be 2 guns, one of them shifted rather far to one side. You would just have to make sure the player hands always move together so the non-weapon-triangle-hand gun doesn't come out of the hand.

Eater.