PDA

View Full Version : How do you like to do it?

Bot_40
24th Nov 2001, 02:44 PM
Terrian of course!

Chrysaor
24th Nov 2001, 04:51 PM
I bet Hourences voted for terra-edit, i can say i ****ing hate the terrain brush. Well that's too strong, but it's a pain in the ass.

lucifix
24th Nov 2001, 05:45 PM
still have no clue on how to make terrain........

Hourences
24th Nov 2001, 05:52 PM
i voted for terra edit yah, cause its very quick and simple for large terrains like in my ortican, for small stuff i do prefer the terrain brush offcourse

Bot_40
24th Nov 2001, 06:57 PM
Bwahaha, Terrain brush all the way :)
Own up, who voted for Tess. cubes :)

Hellscrag
24th Nov 2001, 07:37 PM
Me

I add a terrain brush and carve my valleys out of it with tesselated cubes

Or at least, I do now

StoneViper
25th Nov 2001, 01:21 AM
I vote Terrain Brush. I only use tess cubes when i want to severly misshape the cube into something wack so i don't get the creapy looking endless hallway effect (usually only seen the very largest of cubes) or other bsp issues.

Hellscrag
25th Nov 2001, 07:30 AM
In this UT Single Player pack, all terrain was constructed by carving tesselated cubes out of a terrain brush.

It's a project that I was working on, which I dropped and released as an unfinished pack about a month ago. Check it out if you want to see what I did.

http://www.unrealsp.org/files/thelandingunfinished-utsp.zip

And yes I am p1mping it, because so far it's been downloaded all of 3 times (gah).

@kuma
25th Nov 2001, 10:39 AM
bleh

Pikachu, I choose you!

http://www.btinternet.com/~rickaaay/mx.jpg

150 poly/frame terrain rocks the party

Stilgar
25th Nov 2001, 12:34 PM
that wasn't an option you l33t ass :D

Chrysaor
25th Nov 2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by @kuma
bleh

Pikachu, I choose you!

http://www.btinternet.com/~rickaaay/mx.jpg

150 poly/frame terrain rocks the party

I believe Steve Martin said it best, "What the hell is that?"

I see it's Studio Max, now....lucky bawstawd. Oh well, At least u know how to use it :D

@kuma
25th Nov 2001, 01:56 PM
with spoogers plugin getting frontpage exposure on PU I predict a ****load of n00bs rushing out to warez Max, opening it, panicking at the sight of all those buttons and promptly deleting it :p

p.s. the nannylock is getting old real fast.. I know it's necessary to keep the pre-schoolers & shoulder biters who inhabit the BUF forums in order but do we really need it @ the NCBBS?

Bot_40
25th Nov 2001, 03:37 PM
At temporary solution:

F][/b]uck=****
S][/b]hit=****

Annoying, but it works

Luggage
25th Nov 2001, 04:23 PM
I voted for "Other", cause I use TerraEdit as well as 3DSMax. Both have their benefits, and yeo, 3DSMax is pretty confusing first... but you can't really make complex terrain with the terrain brush.

RedFox
26th Nov 2001, 04:45 AM
-+<Terra-Edit>+-

Balton
26th Nov 2001, 09:02 AM
well, I warezed max got shocked and did not delet it. I did it to extrude a shape out of an cube. i created cubes, spheres, teapot and manipulated the meshes(yes, I even found out how)...
but now I am lsot no clue how to go further.... : /
maybe if anybody knows a VERY VERY GOOD and easy STEP-BY step tutorial than feel free to post it in here...

btw, i messed with terrain-ed and crashed my pc. that was about the timne i stoped using it. so if i do terrain I would use the terain cube... might try terrain ed again....

Balton
26th Nov 2001, 09:03 AM
with spoogers plugin getting frontpage exposure on PU I predict a ****load of n00bs rushing out to warez Max, opening it, panicking at the sight of all those buttons and promptly deleting it :p

p.s. the nannylock is getting old real fast.. I know it's necessary to keep the pre-schoolers & shoulder biters who inhabit the BUF forums in order but do we really need it @ the NCBBS?

btw. akuma is that already an mpa you are working on for ANY unrela related newcoming game??? ;)

Luggage
26th Nov 2001, 06:09 PM
So look at what I did with 3DSMax today...

http://www.unrealism.com/luggage/gfx/shot_snowflake2_01.jpg

http://www.unrealism.com/luggage/gfx/bm_canyon.jpg

And yes, I've been confused. But I didn't buy books or stuff or even read online tuts. *proud* Whaddaya call it? Autodidactic? Hm, dunno.

@kuma
27th Nov 2001, 02:47 AM
that looks very messy

also you need to be very careful about how your edges will light in the game

btw. akuma is that already an mpa you are working on for ANY unrela related newcoming game???

balton it's 120 polys/frame

not exactly next gen :)

RedFox
27th Nov 2001, 03:04 AM
I suppose I shouldn't say this, but @kuma are leet! :D Can anyone post here a link to some tutors about how to create it. (I mean how to make a good terrain in 3D-Max)

Luggage
27th Nov 2001, 08:52 AM
also you need to be very careful about how your edges will light in the game
Thanks, will keep that in mind... Anyways I was just pimping! (not successfully, apparently...)

TheRealFluffy
27th Nov 2001, 01:07 PM
Hehe, 40-30-20-10% ... :-) cool

Laff
27th Nov 2001, 02:24 PM
tess-cubes ;)

anyone else think lucifix's avatar looks like a sex-ed diagram? maybe i got the lucifix-cervix connection. but it's hilarious.

Ulukai
28th Nov 2001, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by RealRedFox
I suppose I shouldn't say this, but @kuma are leet! :D Can anyone post here a link to some tutors about how to create it. (I mean how to make a good terrain in 3D-Max)

One of the easiest (but not neccesarily the best) ways to get started is to displace a monochrome bitmap into a cube, (which you can generate in Photshop. PSP or even Bryce can export one I think)

You have to watch the polys very carefully though, 'cause if you use the poly threshing function afterwards it's a bugger for screwing things up. You can then edit the vertices manually once the displacement is complete to get the kind of terrain you were looking for.

Chrysaor
28th Nov 2001, 12:54 PM
ug, u maxxies can have ur fun, i'll stick to the terrainbrush :D

*sarcasm

Bah_Mee
28th Nov 2001, 02:39 PM
3Dstudio max,

I started using Bryce 4.0 to get some terrain feel but it pumps out way to many polygons here is an example of bryce terrain looks good but high polygon for sure!

Bah_Mee
28th Nov 2001, 02:41 PM
nother one

Chrysaor
28th Nov 2001, 03:37 PM
Bah you, I think the terrain brush is the best :)

@kuma
28th Nov 2001, 06:15 PM
it doesnt really matter as it all looks ass-ugly when it's imported into the editor

the only workaround is high ambientish (not zone) light and clever uvw mapping on the terrain textures

Undying had some nice mountains.

bah-me - that looks... horrible.

Bah_Mee
28th Nov 2001, 06:52 PM
no matter I was just showing how imported bryce 3D shapes look:p

Mister_Prophet
28th Nov 2001, 11:37 PM
Tess cubes is the way to go, u can do anything with it man!

Chrysaor
28th Nov 2001, 11:45 PM
aye, that you can, laddie!