rpg style mod? :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Retsnom

Nov 23, 2001
Visit site
Would it be possible to write a mod, that saves data on the server for later use, so you could make an rpg style mod, that allows for xp per frag, leveling, upgrading things

And most importantly disconnecting coming back and playing your char again :))

Now that would be nifty :)

Psycho_Leech

Hug meh
Sep 17, 2001
In the darkness
www.geocities.com
Ah but...

Wouldn't it have to be stored on the server? otherwise you could edit your stats with notepad, you could try encripting it somehow, but the deciper would probably have to be in Uscript, and you could then easily uncode the stats with enought uscript knowledge, and also write a mod to modify your stats, perhaps that's why Quake files aren't supposed to be modified once encoded for playing, well not quite that reason but probably something like that, to prevent stealing code.
Of course, if you can store files on a remote server, that would, in theroy, if access is only avalible to certain people. But I am worried about security on such a mod.
Of course, it's entirely possible that the whole of what I just said was complete crap. In which case, forget what I said.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Check Modsquad for something called RPUT214 or RPUT228. It should be in the Mods section.

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
I've been thinking this idea over for the past few months. To make this cost effective, in other words FREE, you'd have to find a server thats up 24/7 and willing to have the space filled will useless numbers. The player could only have one character per server, unless you had the character on the owner's comp, then you would have to put it in an ini, which leaves it open for tampering. If you could make an encrypted file with mostly useless number and letters, and strategically placed REAL information, you could reduce tampering, or you could wait for WoW (World of Warcraft). yes i realize part of this is just reiterating what Psycho said.

Last edited:

Retsnom

Nov 23, 2001
Visit site
update on rpg idea and some thks :)

I'm just making a quick reply post, since i'm actually quite new to uscript (but not to coding :p) i;m completely addicted to it now :))

I know these things about it now :)

1)
Read somewhere that with ipdrv and upddrv its possible to write code that saves data about player stats names frags etc, so proy also for the new declared variabes

2)
I know it works in Quake 2, since there's a playable version there
connected to a mysql database, with prolly thousends of chars and up all the time

3)
I'm on a lan only thing from preventing me from running a server
is my relatively slow computer and no proxy of my own (i have stationed with a friend who could serve as a mysql database
to disallow numerous cheats)

4)
I'm not realy afraid of cheating if i even pull it off, since exp from vortex q2 learns me ppl dont really even want to try and cheat
since losing months of playing cuz you were spotted is not fun :p
(granted there's prolly enough ppl who just come to the server for the pure enjoyment to see what they can mess up :))

5)
I'm now as far as almost understanding replication, the changing of stats, and on my way to decyphering the network protocols
even though i understand a whole lot more now, i'm still lacking in remembering function names calls, location of them etc in short
i'm almost there with the underlying basics but implemention is an whole different story :)))

I actually just have only one question as of now, if anyone could pleeease point me out to something that describes an easy ingame menu, it seems there's not even an tutorial that describes anything near it except some mods in extense, which are confusing to me, since they seem so large :)))

And thks alot for all the help :)), it was quite useful, the idea of a webbrowser could also work quite well i think :), although i'd rather have ingame char creation instead of in a ubrowser window

Psycho_Leech

Hug meh
Sep 17, 2001
In the darkness
www.geocities.com
Hmmm...

Of course, a version for use with bots would in theory, be easy, since there is already a RPG mod for UT, one for bots could easily be tampered with, but if that's what you want, then thats ok. As long as you don't ruin net games with modified stats, making sure about that would probably be difficult, so I think this would be confined to botmatches :(
(Still, that's halfway there and would be still be pretty cool)

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
heres an idea.

i used this for my BASIC games on the TI, when all values were in a easy-to-edit matrix.

store a few dozen checksum values, which might be HP/38735^5+.0363 or something insane. this adds protection level 3.