PDA

View Full Version : Ortican

Hourences
23rd Nov 2001, 03:08 PM
My Ortican is done :D took way to long

Its an UT SP (Singleplay) map, only 1 map, but a very big one, it could play a bit choppy at times if you have only 128 ram or less and a slow pc in general, polys arent too high though

check http://www.planetunreal.com/phalanx/hourences/ortican.htm for screens and the story and the link itself (ph33r fileplanet :P )

check the read me for more info over how to play SP (in UT)

k :)

[/PIMPAGE]

Astyanax
23rd Nov 2001, 05:32 PM
pics look very promissing. will download & play it soon!

DavidM
23rd Nov 2001, 06:48 PM
it was ok outside
but it became worse than legacy when i got into the fan system

not infnite power for my flashlight -> sux
i dunno where to go -> sux
LOTS of pupaes -> sux
suddenly I felt down 100m and died -> i had enough and quit unreal

Hellscrag
23rd Nov 2001, 07:17 PM
I've downloaded it but after playing and reviewing Shamuquest already tonight I don't feel like embarking on anything else major just yet :)

Hourences
23rd Nov 2001, 07:34 PM
davidm you ever heard of searchlights ? those seem to last for a very long time, maybe learn to use it :rolleyes:

and if you fall in to a hole then thats your fault, not the map its prob, and you could take the other route, without going trough the fansystem if you looked good enough ............

DavidM
23rd Nov 2001, 07:39 PM
there was no searchlight

d00d
a good sp map shows the player where to go
do you really think a player likes it to run thru a dark fan (where everything looks the same) and look for the exit?
no, definetely not

Hourences
23rd Nov 2001, 07:42 PM
well the system is part of the map, i wanted a little maze, and some people may not like that yes, there is an other way, the small door with 2 kralls defending it, go trough that one then

and where you spawn, on 1 of those crates is an searchlight, right next to the translator and stuff

DavidM
23rd Nov 2001, 08:02 PM
"there is an other way, the small door with 2 kralls defending it, go trough that one then"
another problem

singleplayer mapping is the most ****ing hardest thing at all
I do not know that there is another way
its not that easy

Hourences
23rd Nov 2001, 08:19 PM
its absolutely the hardest form of mapping, and its my first sp i ever made, i wanted to learn how it worked
but the other way is a bit logic though, only the nali can open the door > so what happends if the nali gets killed or gets stuck > right then you need a second solution to the prob > so new way....
and 1 way is too straight forward, isnt realistic, there are always more ways, and its better for replaybilty, its a bit seachling like everything, and its only 1 map, so a bit thinking isnt bad, stretches the time of the map too...

DavidM
23rd Nov 2001, 08:24 PM
"and 1 way is too straight forward, isnt realistic, there are always more ways, and its better for replaybilty, its a bit seachling like everything, and its only 1 map, so a bit thinking isnt bad, stretches the time of the map too..."

1 way is better as long as you have fun on that way
but that fan is definetely not fun

you better have 3 linear maps instead of one map where you dunno where to go

Hourences
23rd Nov 2001, 08:32 PM
i want more freedom, its true that 1 way can be intersting yes, but it limits your freedom too hard, so straight forward

anyway, it was my first sp map, had to try everything,and i do like some parts, and others suck yes, so be it, going to bed now, night :)

DavidM
23rd Nov 2001, 08:35 PM
i like maps with a high exploration
but there should be only one way to continue, and I MUST know which way that is
so I go to all the other places first and explore everything, because I dont wanna miss anything
thats another problem of multiple ways.....I miss something and I know that I missed something

Hourences
23rd Nov 2001, 08:46 PM
last post before i go to bed :)

yes thats true, you always wonder what your missing
but i keep by the point that 1 way is boring, some parts need to split up a bit
play the rest, the rest is more standard, ''button running event run back, go trough door'' stuff, and you will prolly hate the lighting and the texturing....

DavidM
23rd Nov 2001, 08:48 PM
if the rest is ''button running event run back, go trough door'' there is no need to play it :/

Hourences
23rd Nov 2001, 08:56 PM
just try, i tried to implent lots of action too keep it intersting while you run back

DavidM
23rd Nov 2001, 08:57 PM
if I have to

GMotha
24th Nov 2001, 09:45 AM
Well, mista Hourences...
My review is...

-I didn't had trouble with finding the way through the complex (maybe I was just lucky:p ) <-- good point
-The fight with the warlords is way too easy, maybe put them into a smaller room
-The nali who's supposed to show me the way got stuck in the doorway

That's all, GMotha signing out (for now)

[DecoY]
26th Nov 2001, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by GMotha
-The nali who's supposed to show me the way got stuck in the doorway

He's prolly way to fat....
like you...

GMotha
26th Nov 2001, 01:00 PM
Ban it, plz ban it...

Waffnuffly
26th Nov 2001, 05:34 PM
Great job hourences:)

For a first time SP mapper that wasn't bad at all. DavidM didn't like the "fan system" (I think it's called a ventallation shaft) because he probably just doesn't like that aspect of looking around in tight spaces, and he didn't know how to use teh searchlight:rolleyes::lol:

One thing I didn't like about the map was the playability though.... then again my machine is absolutely worthless. I'm sure when I get my new machine in Febuary this map will play much better.

I liked those partical effects with the torches and the crystal... cool scripting:) Keep SP mapping dude, it seems like you have a very good understanding of teh Editor, so getting the hang of SP shouldn't be a problem for you:tup:

@kuma
27th Nov 2001, 02:42 AM

No shame in that, after all few maps can live up to the incredibly high standards Legacy has set for SP

mmm sp, gotta download this I guess :p

Hellscrag
27th Nov 2001, 08:28 AM
I don't follow David's objection to non-linearity.

Bluff Eversmoking was non-linear yet possibly the finest map in Unreal...

Good map Hourences, I hope you make more :)

DavidM
27th Nov 2001, 01:44 PM
yeah, bluff is completely different
it has lots of exploration, thats great
but nobody wants to explore the fan shafts...
know what I mean?

TheRealFluffy
27th Nov 2001, 02:15 PM
... half :-)

hm... I didn't like Wolfenstein 3D: I didn't know where to go, :-)

so, If you do more ways: place signposts lol :-) (HERE IS THE DOOR TO GO FURTHER!" :-)) "Please turn left!" :D

GMotha
28th Nov 2001, 07:41 AM
It's not about getting lost or stuff, but airvents aren't the most appealing places to crawl around in, certainly not if you get lost in there (wich makes you travel a longer time in a nasty and boring surraounding)...
If it were interesting, I'd like to get lost in there:p

Waffnuffly
28th Nov 2001, 04:57 PM
I had fun looking around for pupae to kill:D

I also explore to look for easter eggs and extra items/weapons/health

Hourences
28th Nov 2001, 05:35 PM
anyone found my little msg setup and my hidden big health ? :D

Mister_Prophet
28th Nov 2001, 11:34 PM
for a first time sp map, this is extremly awesome ,more than i can say for some pp replying to this thread:)

Since I beta tested this map since early stages, I've grown quite familiar with it. Its a blast if set on Unreal difficulty, challenging. but i usually play on hard. I dont know what the Big fu<kin deal is with the vent, I crawled through in 5 minutes ( pupae are everywhere) and got to the otherside. From then on in, the map is pretty straightforward, even if getting inside the base is too hard for sum people ( he mentioned your mission in the freaking begining).

I like Hour's SP style, its a fun map if u wanna bust into a Skaarj stronghold and kill ****. Plus, it's got some cool architecture and design in some areas. Great job d00d.

RedFox
29th Nov 2001, 02:47 AM
Wow, I didn't see it yet, but if my un133t, unk00l modem will be able to DL Ortican, then I'll see it. ;) BTW, Did anybody see the Terrain in RTCW (Return to castle Wolfenstein) in Airbase? It's very similar to Unreal ][ terrain, is it so? What do you think?

MrFawn
29th Nov 2001, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by DavidM

i dunno where to go -> sux
LOTS of pupaes -> sux
suddenly I felt down 100m and died -> i had enough and quit unreal

I have to agree
the same **** happened to me.

I will give it a second try later today

Ulukai
29th Nov 2001, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Hourences
anyone found my little msg setup and my hidden big health ? :D

Smells like a Sun-Tzu Chocobo and I haven't even played it yet ;)

Hourences
29th Nov 2001, 09:42 AM
totaly not inspired on Sun-Tzu but yes it looks a bit like it, but purely coincidence :)

but ffs, if you dont like the airvent take the second route, and now for all people a little walktrough to the second route to avoid the frigging airvent

-you dont go to the village or the access to the airvent but you walk on, you go around the corner of the base and there you have this little building in the rockwall, with 1 or 2 kralls (depends on difficult) in front of it, sleeping, shoot these bitches, now the stuff is clear, shoot at the middle of the door if you havent allready done that, the door will now fall and you can access the little building, now you are in an unleet little room with in the middle a pipe in to the ground, the pipe is sealed of by wood, you destroy the wood by chrushing it with the crate you see in the room, there is a big crate and on top of that you have this small crate, you shoot at the backside of the small crate with something, the crate will fall, chrusing the wood and you jump into the water, and from there on its ****ing straightforward

and yes its dark in the water but thats why you have a searchlight, hence

k?

Mxtrmntr
29th Nov 2001, 09:56 AM
Hmm haven't seen the hidden msg setup yet :)

Of course, airvents aren't too attractive (see Half-Life...), but the rest of the map is really cool (architecture, atmosphere etc.)

DavidM
29th Nov 2001, 10:05 AM
I dont like halflife, but in HL they are straight and you know where to go
but then again there are thousands of them and in each of them I get 'surprised' by some facehuggers

Mxtrmntr
29th Nov 2001, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by DavidM
I dont like halflife, but in HL they are straight and you know where to go
but then again there are thousands of them and in each of them I get 'surprised' by some facehuggers

Hmm that just reminded me that Facehuggers and Pupae are kinda the same... nasty little beasts, jumping around... tho Facehuggers can jump wider than Pupae, while Pupae can take more damage...

MrFawn
29th Nov 2001, 04:50 PM
This time I completed it

but there was some things I really disliked!

Not enough health. Ive not played this map before and dont know where all of the monsters are hidden.

Texturing....starship texture set suck!

When I entered the mine I got something in my head and died....how come u didnt give me some kind of a warning?

weak monster placement......sometimes I just knew that behind that corner is monster.

Some of the monsters had too much health

MrFawn
29th Nov 2001, 04:53 PM
oh I forgot giving u a score.....now compared to all the SP games/maps Ive played

4/10

compared to other unreal SP maps

7/10

DavidM
29th Nov 2001, 04:54 PM
yeah, there MUST be a very fair chance to survive traps (unlike half life)

MrFawn
29th Nov 2001, 06:16 PM
yeah u should make a sign that sez "dont walk here because u will die"

Hourences
29th Nov 2001, 06:31 PM
you prolly had that airvent thing on your head, and yes maybe i should have made it fall earlyer so you couldnt get it on you but didnt noticed that

and i didnt had other textures and yes they are blury at times and stuff, but there was no other pack that suppored the theme well enough

and yes its a hard map, play it on a low difficult setting

MrFawn
30th Nov 2001, 07:19 AM
starship doesnt suck because they're blurry but because of its nasty blue panels...they're a pain to use. I think u have done a good job using them..but it still looks terrible :|

Hellscrag
30th Nov 2001, 09:58 AM
Maybe the vents are a bit annoying. I was talking about exploration in general.

re Starship.utx, considering that the ISV-Kran has always looked dodgy to me but Ortican didn't, I think Hourences made very good use of the set.

Hellscrag
30th Nov 2001, 10:01 AM
Oh yeah... I got the thing on the head in the mines... but fortunately I had recently saved.

That was VERY annoying though.

But all in all, good job.

DavidM
30th Nov 2001, 11:01 AM
(sez the one who rated legacy 9.5)

Hellscrag
30th Nov 2001, 11:30 AM
Confirm your sources before you quote them. Zynthetic gave Legacy 9.5, my second opinion gave it 7.5.

DavidM
30th Nov 2001, 12:33 PM
(sez the one who rated legacy 7.5)

MrFawn
30th Nov 2001, 01:12 PM
I never completed legacy.........and dont remember why

DavidM
30th Nov 2001, 01:15 PM
I also got scared away after the first map

Hellscrag
30th Nov 2001, 05:41 PM
I tried my hardest to complete Legacy but it just didn't happen
I got most of the way though.

It didn't do it for me. But many people do enjoy it (?!?) so I was just trying to be balanced and consider all areas of the design.

DavidM
30th Nov 2001, 05:43 PM
1.5 /me sez

Hellscrag
30th Nov 2001, 05:57 PM
That's just silly.

DavidM
30th Nov 2001, 06:02 PM
heh
but fair

Waffnuffly
30th Nov 2001, 06:24 PM
From what I've been hearing peopel say, it isn't worth the huge download on my poor 56K. I hate my 56K:mad:

RedFox
30th Nov 2001, 08:30 PM
I hate my 56K Yeah, I too :mad:

lucifix
2nd Dec 2001, 02:56 AM
DavidM, do you like your mommy holding your hand and guiding you through games? sounds that way.................more paths/exits=more fun, nuff said!

TheRealFluffy
7th Dec 2001, 12:53 PM
I hate Single Player with monsters, I HATE MONSTERS, hm, If I hated them I should kill them... But the problem is, THEY SCARE THE CRAP OUTA ME!! :-( I have serious braindamage...

DavidM
7th Dec 2001, 01:36 PM
i know that feeling from the early fps days

you get used to it

Hourences
7th Dec 2001, 02:08 PM
play avp 2, that will scare the crap out of yah

TheRealFluffy
7th Dec 2001, 02:26 PM
Everything that pops on my screen without notification gets me jumping a hole in the air, I'm weak at heart... :-(

DavidM
7th Dec 2001, 02:28 PM
that just happens when there are only very few enemies

less enemies = more scary

play quake instead
10000 enemies per map = not scary, the enemyplacement is even predictable....they are just everywhere :P

TheRealFluffy
7th Dec 2001, 02:28 PM
esspessially the monsters like in Half life, those who jump in your face, I gues face huggers?? and in Unreal they are Pupeas? hm whell, when I see one the button I push is esc...

DavidM
7th Dec 2001, 02:32 PM
pupeas are indeed scary
they have too many legs, they jump into your face and they make scary sounds

but why are the facehuggers in HL scary? they have only 2 legs, they make no sounds, and the placement is sooooooo goddamn predicatable

TheRealFluffy
7th Dec 2001, 04:08 PM
Hey, If you think I was scary playing Quake 2 ... :) Those monsters that got a stinger, DAMN, I was 13 when I played it, the first time, opened that door in the demo, walked forward: WHAM,there was the friggin' monster, aaaaargh!!

didn't play it again for a few months... Other scary monsters where those that gave you an uppercut..... man I remember I wanted to complete the demo without cheating, I turned around the corner, WHAM that monster covering my whole screeen, I lost my control a few seconds... DAMN...
But I am scared of everything... :)

If I watched a horror movie, I can't sleep, really!! You can call me an *******, but I don't care...

Oh, btw: I hated playing Duke Nukem 3D: Hated the dark corridors, with the monsters, (those underwater: aarhg) I get the shiverings again... Knowing these are sprites... Why am I such a weak FLUFFY???? :)

TheRealFluffy
7th Dec 2001, 04:10 PM
I got no problem with playing Soldier of Fortune, hm, only I hated the dogs... :-)

BTW: I am 15 years, is that the explanation??? I think not, considering that I know a girl who loves horror...

DavidM
7th Dec 2001, 04:12 PM
I think age is an explaination
I felt like that too 4-5 years ago (19 now)

when I was a kid I couldn't sleep without the lights turned on :P
but that fear slowly goes away methinks

TheRealFluffy
7th Dec 2001, 04:23 PM
In movies I can't see blood, but in games, the more blood the better, (I love Sof!) or the blood effects in Quake 3 (that splatter)

DavidM
7th Dec 2001, 04:25 PM
I like blood in games, its a cool effect :D
I dont care in moviews

but I cannot see it in reallife
bwah

TheRealFluffy
7th Dec 2001, 04:50 PM
I also can't see it in real life... Bwa

BangOut
7th Dec 2001, 05:08 PM
:rolleyes: ?

DavidM
7th Dec 2001, 05:14 PM
bangout doesnt know the word 'ph34r'

TheRealFluffy
7th Dec 2001, 05:19 PM
How do you know he doesn't know?

BangOut
7th Dec 2001, 05:21 PM
Yes I do, I "ph43r" Thorns because it "0wnZ" me.

Astyanax
7th Dec 2001, 05:42 PM
Hey RealFluffy, if you're so easily scared, then I strongly advise you NOT to play Aliens Versus Predator!

I'm not easily scared, but that game.... oh man!....

Mister_Prophet
7th Dec 2001, 06:08 PM
Alien vs Predator gave me some of the biggest jumps of my gaming life, aliens appearing out of nowhere and all you hear is the loud screech as they attack from above and behind, or the little facehuggers, who you can't see cus it's dark, and then everything is silent...then you look on the floor...what is that? is that a ....oh ****! And then it's on your face and stuff. Spooky.

The biggest scare i got in Unreal 1 was actually kinda dumb now that i realize it, it was a one and a bazillion shot. I was in Chizra water temple, i had heard a slith sound and procedded to launch 8 ball rockets at it till it went away. When everything went quiet, i walked over to some health and some items. I began to collect, and then I turned around and the Slith i thought i had just killed (or it could have been his buddy, I didnt have time to ask) was standing right infront of me! Like and inch away, all i saw on the screen was the green bastard as it screamed at me just as I saw it. Man oh man, I remember jumping from my chair as I killed the thing, not before it got a good swipe at me. I dun remember, but my brother who was watching was laughing uncontrollably because, according to him, I had yelled out "Fu<k!" like a frightened school girl. Give me pupae and Skaarj, I'll pass on the slith thank you very much.

Waffnuffly
7th Dec 2001, 06:49 PM
LoL:lol:

My first scare in Unreal was in the first level (I was 12 and it was like 11PM and I'm sitting in the dark home alone), right after I got out of my cell, I had been hearing these awful screams of terror and pain coming from the ship and then I also hear this growling sound. and I have no gun. I'm like "Where the hell did that come from?!", and then I see the elevator and go up. Then theres an earthquake and that piece of the floor falls down, and I'm just like "woah good thing I wasn't down there when that happened"... so then I find that vent and go in.. and when I turn the corner I see this green fog and the Skaarj sitting there and a dead body and more screaming.. and by then I'm alittle nervous about going on. So I move forward and BAM!!! those short explosions in teh vent make me yell!! Lol, I know.. kinda dumb when you think about it.. but for teh first time playing it.. it was scary!:D

RedFox
8th Dec 2001, 01:58 AM
It was scary like in a good scary movie (not "scary movie")! ;)

TheRealFluffy
8th Dec 2001, 04:56 AM
I never played Unreal, but I did play the Peril On Mars Pack, Man, never got further than the first map... It was when I saw the pupeas... :)

My pc is too slow to play AvP... Infact, even too slow for UT, it runs at 10 frames/... So, if I would play Unreal in Single player, I wouldn't see the fuC|<ing monsters comming, but they would be right standing before me, because the computer is too lame to render the other frames...

That's why I suck in UT also,... can't aim that way...

DavidM
8th Dec 2001, 05:06 AM
I got not really scared in the first 3 unreal maps
in a magazin they already said that there are no enemies in the first map just a skaarj running away.......pfff
and they had a movie that shows the trap in map 3.... :/
so i always knew what happens next

Mxtrmntr
8th Dec 2001, 07:55 AM
"The Darkening" was the level in U1 that scared me the most...it seemed so damn difficult to me (tho it didn't take me too long to finish it) and it was the most satisfying moment so far in my gaming life when I found the exit :D

Also I remember, one of the first times I played Thief , I really feared getting out of my room at night... everyone had went to bed, it was dark and I went to the bathroom. Suddenly, I heard a door, and I got a huge shock... maybe I thought some guards were coming for me, dunno :rolleyes:

Btw, the "Return to the cathedral" level in Thief is one of the best and scariest levels ever imo... try it :)

Mister_Prophet
8th Dec 2001, 07:47 PM
Well when i got Unreal, I had previously heard nothing about it, so when I played it for the first time, the first level was quite unnerving.

Hourences
8th Dec 2001, 07:58 PM
yes same, it was my first real game on my brand new first pc back then, it was a blast :) very cool

Evil_Cope
9th Dec 2001, 11:17 AM
Aliens versus predator, and more so avp2, are the only games that really creeped me out. shear excellence.

Call me Erdrik
9th Dec 2001, 04:59 PM
I played Octican, but I didn't have OldSkool so I couldn't find the change item button and thus never saw the translator..... I got thru the airvents fine, nor problems there(don't know what the big fuss on that is all about :rolleyes: ) But I couldn't get past the second door after you fall from the vents.... so I 'ghosted' to the next part.(I can't beta the map if i can't get to the different parts :p )
I found BSP error in the mine ... I couldn't blow up the wall to escape(becuase I couldn't switch ti the explsives....) so I ghosted through.... when through swiched to back to walking, but wilst I was fighting the monster, I strafed left behind a bunch of crates and.. WHOOSH! suddenly Im falling OUTSIDE the map..... had to switch to ghost fly back up and continue on... I agree that the warloads were to easy, and personaly I thought the queen was to easy. I just stayed a distance away, and whenever she started to charge, I jumped and she lost target and stopped charging....Im pretty sure this is in the queens coding, ....

other than that I loved it great job :D

Hourences
10th Dec 2001, 11:18 AM
the queen is allready much deadlyer then the default queen, and yes i know of the bsp hole :\ it was something that people told me after the release, cant fix it anymore..

btw you can get everywhere you need to be perfectly without ghost mode :), and for the exploding part you dont need to switcht to explosives normally, just run against the wall there, it will explode on their own

TheRealFluffy
11th Dec 2001, 09:57 AM
So, the player explodes along???? :p

Hourences
11th Dec 2001, 10:13 AM
if you are to close yes :P

Sarevok
21st Jun 2003, 07:07 PM
did you fix that damn BSP hole yet Hourences?!

Hourences
21st Jun 2003, 07:08 PM
no, and never will and rofllol at this thread :)

Sarevok
21st Jun 2003, 07:12 PM
heh..that has to be the quickest reply I've ever witnessed :)

Hourences
21st Jun 2003, 09:05 PM
pure coincidence :)

Bot_40
22nd Jun 2003, 07:56 AM
lol