PDA

View Full Version : You guys are gonna get sued!

El Diablo
23rd Nov 2001, 12:36 AM
Did you guys know there's a full budget game called Infiltration?? I just found the 4 level demo of the game on CNet.com! It's made by a nobody game producer. But don't worry, judging from these screenshots, your MOD is better than their whole GAME!

heres the d/l site for the demo,
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10034-100-4347697.html?tag=st.dl.10034-106-2.lst-9-5.4347697

and heres the screenshots,
http://www.skyline1.freeserve.co.uk/Page_20x.html

lol, check it out!

Keganator
23rd Nov 2001, 12:48 AM
not bloody likely...the INF team has been around way longer than any other 'nobody' project...all the way since unreal. If anything, the INF team could sue them :p

El Diablo
23rd Nov 2001, 01:00 AM
yeah man! lol. Those poor suckers, they made a full budget game that isn't HALF as good as INF!

rgreene
23rd Nov 2001, 01:28 AM
It is possible actually... I've seen people obtain copywrites with the express purpose of suing other people... It's more likely that it'd end in a cease and dissist order though. Got to love the way Americans think...

DooMfreak
23rd Nov 2001, 02:01 AM
INFILTRATION is the PC version of a game I originally made on the Amiga , when I first got...
The game sure speaks for itself.
http://www.skyline1.freeserve.co.uk/Infiltrationx.html

TheSmisker
23rd Nov 2001, 03:56 AM
Interesting from a legal point of view....
In USA, is it the guy registering the product 1st or is it the guy who actually make the game first with the name that gets the rights for it?

In Europe, if INF has been around for longer (if the case, there should be ample proof of that) they would be able to fend off anyone attempting to sue. The persons originating with the name/product/art wouldn't have to do anything from a legal standpoint, he has the right. Now, in the real world though, there would be a situation who can prove that they were actually 1st.

But does anyone know how intellectual property is handled in US?

Map-O-Matic
23rd Nov 2001, 05:20 AM
I saw this imposter game a long time ago on some game site and was really surprised I thought is wasare Infiltration..........oh and it looked like a Piece-O-Sh*t:)

TheChronoTrigger
23rd Nov 2001, 08:45 AM
well if neither have registered it's on a who made it first basis, if it was Registered before the issue came up then whoever registered first has the upper hand,

(I'm not a Lawyer. so don't yell at me if i'm wrong)

P.S. I believe that's how MircroSoft screws people over half the time, bunch of crooks in my opinion

Map-O-Matic
23rd Nov 2001, 08:50 AM
did you notice it doesnt have a cross hair.......hmmm *cough*ripoff*cough*

DooMfreak
23rd Nov 2001, 11:15 AM
did you notice it doesnt have a cross hair
I think crosshairs are too high-tech for the game's engine.

El Diablo
23rd Nov 2001, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by DooMfreak

I think crosshairs are too high-tech for the game's engine.

lol

C.Chan
23rd Nov 2001, 12:01 PM
oh man i feel sorry for that dolt! I really don't think they pose a threat. Their damn website is on a free service! LOL! I know our INF's is but, they have senturystudios.com!

the vrrc
24th Nov 2001, 01:58 AM
I don't think we have to worry about that. Infiltration is much more known than that, and has probably been around longer also.

asmodeus
24th Nov 2001, 02:45 AM
poor guy:(

McMuffin
24th Nov 2001, 05:49 AM
Saw this a long time ago in a different thread...

On fileplanet there's also a HL mod called Infiltration (http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=0&file=7467) :lol:

And this (http://www.infiltration.org/), a site about Urban Exploration (aka Tresspassing :) ), which the mappers out there might be interested in.

DeRailer
24th Nov 2001, 06:01 AM
although that "other" infiltration game isn't as well recieved as this mod, there's no reason to bash those guys who work their ass off to get a game going. It's like insulting game developers everywhere. :rolleyes:

NTKB
24th Nov 2001, 12:45 PM
He said crosshairs.... :o

El Diablo
24th Nov 2001, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by DeRailer
work their ass off to get a game going.

Well then if they worked there asses off, they must really suck cuz the game looks like crap!

The_Countess
24th Nov 2001, 02:03 PM
if it has no crosshair whats that orange thingy doing in the middle of every screenshot?

the game give me flashbacks to wolvenstien and quake 1

asmodeus
24th Nov 2001, 02:05 PM
I think the guy is working alone on this, for a game he did alone from scratch it looks pretty good

DamienW
24th Nov 2001, 04:38 PM
"Criticizing is the only easy art" ....
He probably didn't even know about "our" infiltration. He's a guy making a game, and i don't see what gives anyone here the right to say his game is ****.... That's a lack of respect.
And the fact that it has a crossairs doesn't make it bad :
1- Not every game's purpose is to be ultra-realisitc
2- Iron sight are not yet (and close to be) widely accepted

Saying "Blah, this game sucks" when it's froma modest team like this is immature. Point.

WeeD.Falcon
24th Nov 2001, 04:56 PM
inf unreal is tha best!!!

it rules!!

El Diablo
24th Nov 2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by FALCON[MERLIN]
inf unreal is tha best!!!

it rules!!

That it does.

Map-O-Matic
24th Nov 2001, 08:28 PM
if it has no crosshair whats that orange thingy doing in the middle of every screenshot? hmmmmm well I cant see them......explain...........oops I see it now damn thats hard to see:con:

FiringAimlessly
24th Nov 2001, 09:57 PM
You can't exactly say "Infiltration" is an extremely original name that couldn't possibly appear anywhere else...

I agree with Max, Asmo et al about dissing the guy's work... I mean, it's hardly Gooseman/CS by a long shot, but it's pretty good for one guy working in his spare time... [/niceguy][constructive criticism] he doesn't exactly have a knack for visual design though, and the interface needs a LOT of work... (mouselook but no ability to bind "fire" to the left mouse button!? :con: )

However, Other INF has far better footstep sounds than UT INF... indoors, anyway...

edit: starting game with jumping puzzle BAD. :mad:

DeRailer
25th Nov 2001, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by El Diablo
Well then if they worked there asses off, they must really suck cuz the game looks like crap!
The beef of game physics are in the engine. Infiltration(UT) using the modified Unreal engine while the other inf, if it's really started from scratch, the workforce required from an 1 man army will be massive. What the designer done can be consider pretty impressive.