PDA

View Full Version : laser sight

elffum
19th Nov 2001, 09:53 AM
heres a cool little mutator i made, it adds a funky laser sight. i know, its an old idea, but i haven't seen any that look this good before :) please post feedback here, or mail it to me.

UPDATE: new version with team support

Raden
20th Nov 2001, 10:55 PM
You know what's screwy?

Laser Sight is 25K. the beam rifle is 18K.

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT ABOUT :p

elffum
21st Nov 2001, 06:41 AM
thats because the laser sight is a umod. they're actually both about 30k when installed :)

btw, what do you think? any improvements to be made?

Raden
21st Nov 2001, 07:06 PM
88 downloads?! nice :D

Personally I'm not a laser sight fan, they are not as accurate as a crosshair in my finding, but I do like the shoulder-mounted idea.

Beam Rifle didn't work. no replacement of the Shock Rifle or anything.

elffum
22nd Nov 2001, 03:56 AM
did the mutators not show up then?

oh, and the laser sight is exacly accurate, more so than the crosshair because it uses the trace code from the weaponss to place the dot. try getting the sniper rifle or enforcer and shooting the ground, you'll get a decal exacly under the sight. The crosshair is easier to aim with though i agree.

Raden
23rd Nov 2001, 03:07 PM
Oh, the mutators showed up fine. The weapon did not. I still had the Shock Rifle.

DesertJorm
24th Nov 2001, 12:50 PM
Pretty good... I have some ideas for it:
A key for you to toggle between your crosshair and the laser sight.
The laser sight should come out of the gun.

But overall, it's FAR better than the sight in DMT. :D

elffum
24th Nov 2001, 10:36 PM
yay, 200 dowloads of the last version :) only 2 people posted feedback though :( anywayz, its a bit cooler now, so check the original post for the updated version.

Wormbo
25th Nov 2001, 06:09 AM
Nice, but I agree to DesertJorm. The laser sight should be gun-mounted.
Try using the CalcDrawOffset() function of the current weapon and add its FireOffset to the result like most weapons do. That should give a good effect.

elffum
25th Nov 2001, 08:46 AM
yeah, thats what i did with the latest version, but some weapons don't look right, and the bots arn't using the sight either at the mo, but hopefully i'll get it working again :)

elffum
25th Nov 2001, 09:53 AM
bots use the sight again now! download from the link in the first post.

DesertJorm
25th Nov 2001, 06:46 PM
Excellent... now it only needs one thing for it to be nearly perfect: an option for team-specific colors.

Raden
25th Nov 2001, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by DesertJorm
Excellent... now it only needs one thing for it to be nearly perfect: an option for team-specific colors.

yeah that would set it apart, and break it away from being "just another laser sight mod" :D

elffum
26th Nov 2001, 01:34 PM
i'll see what i can do :)

phatcat
26th Nov 2001, 03:05 PM
want to know whats really cool?? ;)

it will track you gun movements in INFILTRATION :D

INFILTRATION uses a system where the gun is not cenered @ the middle of the screen, simular to Golden Eye.

fun things to do with this mod :D

play it in EVEAY DARKMATCH with flashlights.

or ALIENS mutator for INFILTRATION :)

elffum
26th Nov 2001, 03:38 PM
thats damn cool, im gonna have to reinstall infitration now :) just uploaded the new version, now it has team colours as suggested. keep the ideas coming. next thing im going to try is a mod menu so change length and weather you can switch it off.

phatcat
26th Nov 2001, 05:26 PM
can you stick on setting to dim the lights?
I saw it in HOB's corpse mod (awsome mod BTW)

I think it would be cool if you could walk around in VERY dim (not pitch black like EVEAY DARKMATCH) and see laser sites :)

DesertJorm
26th Nov 2001, 06:26 PM
Better... but it could use green and gold lasers. And an option for colors in standard DM. And a menu for all these options. And it has a small bug; often, the crosshair doesn't disappear when the laser is active.

phatcat
26th Nov 2001, 06:52 PM
also on the end of a round the laser will be visable around who the camera observes, but the laser is like coming in at a odd angle :hmm:

elffum
26th Nov 2001, 07:10 PM
Better... but it could use green and gold lasers. And an option for colors in standard DM. And a menu for all these options. And it has a small bug; often, the crosshair doesn't disappear when the laser is active.

there are green and gold lasers... but only for green and gold team members. im still struggling with the menu stuff so im not sure if i can impliment that stuff, i'll keep trying though :) the crosshair doesn't dissapear for the redeemer and sniper rifle, cos they basically turn the crosshair on every frame because of their custom crosshair code, so not much i can do there...

phatcat: thats ur laser u can see, if you rotate around the player it will follow ur view. not much i can do about this i think, but i'll look into it.

phatcat
26th Nov 2001, 08:01 PM
bahh...
its a minor thing :)

don't worry about it :D

DesertJorm
26th Nov 2001, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by elffum
there are green and gold lasers... but only for green and gold team members.
I wouldn't be complaining about its abcence if it was there. ;) It just shows up red for me...

the crosshair doesn't dissapear for the redeemer and sniper rifle, cos they basically turn the crosshair on every frame because of their custom crosshair code, so not much i can do there...
I mean the normal crosshair.

elffum
26th Nov 2001, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't be complaining about its abcence if it was there. ;) It just shows up red for me...

they only show up in a team game, ie team deathmatch, ctf etc.. so not in normal deathmatch... if they don't work in those there is something definatly up with it.

I mean the normal crosshair.

so do i :) the weapon code turns the normal crosshair on every tick if the custom one isn't being used.

phatcat
26th Nov 2001, 11:18 PM
I can't wait till the next version :)

Raden
27th Nov 2001, 12:29 AM
This is definitely on the fast track to breaking away from the "just another laser sight" mod I played at first.

/me is very impressed at what has been done with something as simple of an idea as a laser sight

If you could possibly implement something like the UT crosshair colour-sliders, only make that for the laser, BAM! one hell of a laser sight mod. I see configurable length of the laser has already been discussed too :)

This is excellent man, excellent.

elffum
27th Nov 2001, 02:44 PM
i think the colour slider thing is totally imposible in UT, its specific to the hud, so no luck there im afraid. i'll figure out the mod menu stuff eventually, probably next week cos i've got a lot on this week.

This is excellent man, excellent.

only cos u keep the cool sugestions coming :) don't stop though, i still want your ideas :)

phatcat
27th Nov 2001, 05:01 PM
I never understood why games never implment color slidebars. have a set palete that can be varied :mad:

Raden
27th Nov 2001, 07:53 PM
Well then in that case, maybe take the colours from the UT HUD, and implement them to the laser so you can choose the colour of your laser in DM play. Team games would force you to use team colours. Blue team, blue laser.

I mean, if that can be done :)

phatcat
27th Nov 2001, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Nemephosis
Well then in that case, maybe take the colours from the UT HUD, and implement them to the laser so you can choose the colour of your laser in DM play. Team games would force you to use team colours. Blue team, blue laser.

I mean, if that can be done :)

*thinks*

hey I wonder if you can use those color schemes???

the HUD colors should be just as usable as any other color tint :hmm:

DesertJorm
29th Nov 2001, 12:11 AM
Heh, i noticed that when you're targeted from the front, the red dot of doom appears in your view... quite nice, but it might be interesting if it blinded you. ;)

phatcat
29th Nov 2001, 09:49 AM
it damn near dose ;)

but that would be a cool effect :D

phatcat
27th Dec 2001, 06:34 PM
when are we going to get a new version of this??? :(

GRIND
28th Dec 2001, 12:54 PM
Looks good.. it would be cool if you could shut the thing off with a keystroke because it gives away your position.

Also if it could shut off with indirect firing weapons or something like the impact hammer or translocator. Definitely those two, and probably the snot gun too.

Pat
2nd Jan 2002, 09:22 PM
yay! ive been looking for a laser sight/crosshair mod because somehow i nuked my crosshair textures so i have none and that makes it a bitch when you play realistick mods like TO thanx man!

someguy_99
2nd Jan 2002, 10:33 PM
Could someone please send me the newest version? Forum downloads don't work for me. My email is that_neil_man@hotmail.com

Twrecks
2nd Jan 2002, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a cool mod.
Probably end up being as popular as DarkMatch /jk

Be nice if it had some ambient sound to warn those who had a "spot" on them, even thou I know light doesn't make sound, you can't really see the "dot" on yourself in the game, so some compensation to alert a player they're targeted would be a nice addition (bWarnPlayer type stuff)

someguy_99
3rd Jan 2002, 07:40 PM
Anyone?

Pat
3rd Jan 2002, 09:50 PM
i mailed it to you man check ya mailbox

elffum
4th Jan 2002, 11:43 AM
i've got some pretty important exams soon, so i not doing any coding at the moment, but after that i may do a bit more, like get the mod menu working etc...

GRIND: you can, in the preferences => controls you can assign a button to turn it on/off.

someguy_99
4th Jan 2002, 12:39 PM
Uh, no you didn't. It's not there at least

elffum
12th Jan 2002, 09:20 PM
here we are at last, i got the mod menu working, so heres a link to the latest version:

Laser Sight.zip (http://www.bigcow-graphics.freeserve.co.uk/Laser%20Sight.zip)

so, what do we think? time to release it?

phatcat
13th Jan 2002, 05:24 PM
LUCKY!!!
http://phatcat.animedominion.com/boardpics/lina_eyetry.gif

Mr.Mitchell
15th Jan 2002, 12:59 PM
One thing you might want to add is that melee weapons like the impacthammer don't show the laserbeam. I have never seen a knife with a lasersight. You can use the bMelee variable in the weaponclass for this.

someguy_99
15th Jan 2002, 05:37 PM
Could you please make it so you can make the beam length infinite? And I mean infinite. You know how the sniper rifle is supposed to have infinite range? Try sniping bots on the other end of CTF-HallOfGiants. Please do this.

Raden
15th Jan 2002, 07:56 PM
lasers may have infinite range but I wouldn't use one to target anything past 500 metres. Personally I think its fine as it is.

Or the last version was. I haven't tried this one yet. Downloaded, but not tried.

Raden
15th Jan 2002, 11:02 PM
someguy you can already set the beam to a length of 20. That should be enough.

What I'd like to see is to be able to pick your colour of beam, possibly using a menu the style of the UT menu where youselect crosshair colour, etc. In DM it defaults red. arg...... I want multicolour lasers :)

it would be great too if bots had a random colour laser. It can be done too: if you need some help on this I know a guy who did a random-bot-colour laser weapon already.

someguy_99
16th Jan 2002, 02:27 PM
No, no it's not.

elffum
21st Jan 2002, 12:07 PM
thanks for the ideas, i'll get to work on them straight away.

i pretty sure selecting the exact colour (ie rgb value like the crosshair) is only for hud graphics. if anyone knows different please let me know.

someguy: with an infinite beam length, expect even the fastest computers to grind to a halt on open maps like ctf face. anyway, although the beam doesn't reach the target, the laserdot is still there, and imo thats better for aiming with. if the dot isn't there then theres a bug that need squashing :)

elffum
21st Jan 2002, 05:46 PM
heres the latest version:
Laser Sight.zip (http://www.bigcow-graphics.freeserve.co.uk/Laser Sight.zip)

new additions are an option for random bot laser colours and selectable laser colour.

the sight turning off for melee weapons turned out to be a bit harder than i though, so im still working on that, if i can't figure it out i may give up trying.

more suggestions please! i've got tomorrow off so i need plenty to do... :)

phatcat
21st Jan 2002, 08:55 PM
http://phatcat.animedominion.com/dhalf-02.gif
w00t!

Pxtl
4th Feb 2002, 06:44 PM
Try and work in some good behind view controls (the default UT chasecam mode is good for screenshots and nothing else) - a laser sight would be excellent for chasecam mode. The big thing is that the chasecam would have to be modified so the player doesn't stand right in the middle of the view, right where you would like to be looking.

Get that going, and people might actually want to play chasecam UT.

Heres my take - Chasecam is controlled by server vars, ditto laser sight, stuck at on/off/optional. Many mods have custom hand to hand weapons, so allowing the player to simply toggle the laser sight would be easier then trying to find every hth weapon ever made for UT (The U4e katana does not need a laser sight, for ex.).

Now, a player with a normal aimer and 1st person has obvious advantages over a 3rd person laser sight player - it just works that way - so the server has the option of forcing lasers or chasecam. Personally, I'd force chasecam but not laser - its damn tough to aim in chasecam games without a laser sight or something similar. That means that all players get the coolness/hinderance of chasecam mode, but the aiming aid of lasersight, which really is an aid in chasecam, is optional. And of course, if forcing this is server controll, guys that just want to try it out if they want can too.

Raden
4th Feb 2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by elffum

the sight turning off for melee weapons turned out to be a bit harder than i though, so im still working on that, if i can't figure it out i may give up trying.

well you can always turn the laser sight off yourself for melee weapons, so you really don't need to waste time doing this ;)

Pxtl
4th Feb 2002, 08:00 PM
Continuing the use in chasecam, could just have an option so only the player can see their own laser - this would be the needed component for a fair chasecam/3rd person player. That, and non-****ty camera angles.

elffum
13th Feb 2002, 06:48 PM
a chasecam sounds a bit like too much work for my liking :)
not sure theres a nice way of implimenting a chase cam mutator, i may be wrong though. if i did do it it would probably be as a seperate mutator.

Entity
16th Feb 2002, 08:41 AM
hey looks sweet...would you be willing to lend some of the codage to NE? or better yet, help out yourself at some point?

elffum
26th Feb 2002, 04:44 PM
yeah, sure, im a big fan of the NE mod :) i'd love to donate code if its needed. i could do some code, but im still learning, so im not really up to coding anything really complex. i mainly code special effects and stuff cos i think it looks pretty :)

Raden
28th Feb 2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by MĘST
stop humping the lazer!

......... What? :con:

elffum
1st Mar 2002, 07:21 AM

......... What? :con:

good question :)

MĘST
1st Mar 2002, 01:35 PM
I didn't write that...

Raden
1st Mar 2002, 07:16 PM
We have it in writing ;)

someone using your computer or something? :p

probably a pesky younger brother, they tend to do that :D

MĘST
1st Mar 2002, 08:02 PM
have what in writing?

Raden
1st Mar 2002, 11:09 PM
I think you should go check the second page where I quoted you :p

Nice try though :D

MĘST
2nd Mar 2002, 01:07 AM
I love men:D

just cus you quoted me doesnt mean anything. Look, I quoted you :)

Raden
2nd Mar 2002, 12:08 PM
*resists editing that post to hell and back* ;)

you win this time you bastard.... but you WILL get yours... :)

MĘST
2nd Mar 2002, 04:42 PM
lmao

/me waits patiently

Raden
2nd Mar 2002, 07:58 PM
Hey I know what IRC channel you hang out in ;)

/me dusts off the garbage script :D

Jehuty
6th Mar 2002, 04:39 PM
Ya know what would be cool? being able to choose what side the laser beam will come from. (Left, Center, or right.)