PDA

View Full Version : Another snowy kind of map...

Luggage
17th Nov 2001, 10:38 PM
Well, what do you think of this?

http://www.unrealism.com/luggage/gfx/f0/snowflake1.jpg

http://www.unrealism.com/luggage/gfx/f0/snowflake2.jpg

I thought it up after looking at Lord Dill's thread about CTF-Frostburn...

Cheers, Lugg

And here's a version of the level to walk around in:

Luggage
17th Nov 2001, 10:43 PM
Ooops, forgot the textures. Here they are. The link should work in about... 10 minutes (just started to upload.)

http://www.unrealism.com/luggage/temp_storage/LuggSnow.zip

Shin
18th Nov 2001, 03:21 AM
Huh????? WTF Where are the flags rofl :p .
Walked from one side to the other side and they where both closed lol. Anyways its very nicely done luggage, but I can't play that map it LAGGGGS couldnt even aim straight :(
It cant be the snow, that laggs, maybe its the canyon i dunno, but it lookes amazing :D

Luggage
18th Nov 2001, 05:57 AM
I know about the lag problem, and I think it's because the snow-sheets are transparent, and calcing 20 transparent layers is too much for the engine! Maybe I can get/make a custom texture which needs no transparency, just masking...
If I reduce the number of sheets tho, it doesn't look realistic.

Hmmm, I think its possible if I make a palette with all black except the last entry, and then make a fire texture...

I'll try!

Luggage
18th Nov 2001, 05:27 PM
Ok, I'm creating the snow with Slick_Willy's Precipitation Generator - It doesn't look as good, but after all it's much more playable;

And I'll make players start outside of their base, on a snowy ledge with a beautiful view at the Environmental Skybox :D They'll then be able to get into the base, but not into the flag room directly. And there'll be some sort of underground path between the bases.

So well, here's a shot of the new snow:

Hourences
18th Nov 2001, 05:55 PM
looks nice dude, i think that you had to put the sheets in the first shots to unlit if you hadnt done that, looks better, but to late now :) you deleted it allready:)
i like the rocks and the rocktexture, the texture looks nice, maybe align it a bit more

Luggage
18th Nov 2001, 06:10 PM
I'll align everything when I've finished the whole map, or at least the biggest part of it... Maybe I'll have to change that brush again, so it would be wasted work / time...

Lord Dill
20th Nov 2001, 07:53 PM
i checked out the start of you level... i like the terrian brush... looks nice :)

and i don't think your getting lag from using alot of transparent sheets, your getting lag because the polys peak over 400 looking from one side to the other.

I've noticed this problem with EXTRA polys on my map too. I deleted all the sheets on your level, the max polys were 150-160 looking across. BTW It looks nice and sharp with out the snow. It seems that you would only have an extra 14 polys because you have 14 sheets of snow right???? WRONG, for some reason the polys jump to 400+ instead of the 180+ I have no idea why Ued does this??? im thinking that every sheet that intersects with another sheet makes polys? so your grid of sheets multiplies your poly #.... thats just my guess.

unlit or non-unlit is the question...
With unlit snow you get alot more snow and its really thick, howerver it looks like **** at the sheet edges :(
Non-unlit makes it hard to see sheet edges but the snow is really thin

Oh yeah, you only need the snow to be translucent. NOT masked and modulated

tell me how that snow generator works :)

Lord Dill
20th Nov 2001, 10:47 PM
ok, i tried the snow generator thingy... i don't like it one bit, first of all... IT LAGS.

With my snow sheets i have about 100-200 polys outside
With no sheets about 60 - 100 polys but the generator lags it more it seems :( might have errors but didn't feel like checking

I don't like how the snow flakes work either... i might be doing something wrong? i set the z-axis Velocity to -128... the snow falls a little too fast, but if i set the velocity any lower say -64 the snow never reaches the ground... wtf, its like the velocity deturmines how far the snow will fall. plus its not as thick... of course you could raise the intensity if you were on a 1.8 gig machine ;)

If only the sheets didn't multiply the poly #

here is a pic of my level with the tweaked out sheets, lights and textures.

Luggage
21st Nov 2001, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I think it's for some nice idyllic scenery rather :-) But you can have the snow fall slower *and* reach the ground if you put in multiple generators closer to the ground and with a smaller instensity each, I think... But nevermind, your map looks really good now, as far as I can rate it from the shots, so you can stick with the sheets... But in my map it just lags hard. So I just make it a little more "nice" hehe the scenery only of course :-)

Luggage
21st Nov 2001, 08:15 AM
Oh, and I'll try that thing with less sheets... Just fiddling around with the base design - I'll never get it duh. Can you imagine that? I can't make up a Base design! I always want to put in the flag right behind the entrance (see CTF-Thunder (http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=152877)...)
Can anyone give me suggestions?

Lugg

TheRealFluffy
21st Nov 2001, 03:56 PM
aaaaaah... I wish I could do what you guys can do...

Luggage
22nd Nov 2001, 02:07 AM
*lol* Well, I'd not consider myself a good mapper, just look at the two maps I've released... One has pretty crappy architecture. and the other mainly consists of one room...
But seriously, we're always learning, aren't we? So actually we're at the same level... I can't do everything that's possible in UnrealEd, but I can try, and I know where to look when I search for something... So I can stop concentrating on learning UEd and start *trying* to map. Which implies that I have no idea on how to map. Maybe I know UEd, but that doesn't really help much.

Stilgar
25th Nov 2001, 12:12 PM
did you create the textures for the lev Luggage ? or is it a custom utx package ? I'm after some nice snow/rock tectures for a ctf map of my own :)

Luggage
25th Nov 2001, 02:50 PM
I took them from Infiltration. It's impossible to use the utx packs directly, so I exported and reimported them into a custom package. I think I'll put them in the MyLevel storage system when the map is done (should the map ever be done). Get Infiltration, it has some really cool textures! (Not just snow)

Lugg

Luggage
26th Nov 2001, 03:29 PM
And now look what I just did:

http://www.unrealism.com/luggage/gfx/shot_snowflake2_01.jpg

The terrain was created in 3DSMax and ported to UT via the new ASE2T3D converter by Spooge...
I think I'm also slowly getting the hang of base design... (Not shown in pic :p )
Well, expect to see more detailed and better lit pictures in the future!

Yours sincerely, burp.

Luggage
26th Nov 2001, 04:00 PM
BTW those flags are just temporary ;) so I could frag some bot butt :D

Freakish
5th Feb 2002, 07:04 PM
This map dead?

Luggage
6th Feb 2002, 07:33 AM
Yes.