CenterView Issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which aiming device do you use ?

• I use a Joystick with CenterView

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I use a Joystick but dont need CenterView

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • I use a Keyboard and need CenterView

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I use a Mouse or Trackball

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • I use another aiming device that requires CenterView

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I use another aiming device but dont need CenterView

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

DarkByte

LLama Killer
Nov 19, 2000
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Visit site
Okay guys,

Some of you have mentioned that CenterView is cheap, and i'd be more than willing to try and put some kind of regulation in the code for UTPure but i need to know how many of you play the game with a joystick to aim.

If i disable CenterView, its Joystick users that would pay the prices (unless i have a flash and find a way to avoid that)

So, here is what my poll is about.

I need to know how many of you aim with a joystick (or whatever is not a mouse except keyboard).

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
first, i don't think centerviewing is really an issue. but hey, i could be wrong. i generally just hold the mouse at headlevel when i'm snipering. it isn't hard. :D ;)

second: who the hell plays with the joystick???

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
I don't see why centerview is needed for normal movement even for a joystick. What's the difference between the joystick and the mouse in this aspect?

Since a lot of people don't know what is meant by centerview in the 'cheap' sense i'll try and explain it quickly. It's that movement that brings your crosshair level so that your are looking straight ahead. It can be bound to any key. Nowadays it's mostly used to increase the probability of getting a head shot with the sniper rifle. You see, if you keep the centerview key depressed, your y-axis movement is locked. This way, if you're on the same level as your opponent, all you have to do is aim along the x-axis and you get a headshot (150 health). There is no chance of aiming over his head (miss) or below (body shot = 67 health).

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
If you could create something to get rid of centerview and the clan ladders supported it, I would be a happy man. I am sick of losers who use the centerview "cheat" to pretend they are actually skilled players. It seems to be the trend lately for people to use cv binds in matches and it is a real pain. OGL has recently started discussion about this problem and I am hoping that it results in some sort of rule against using it, but a rule like that would be really difficult to enforce without a mod like what you are thinking about.

Great job dude, this is a step in the right direction for the UT community.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
can't you check if the use joystick box is enabled? or check for recent movement from the joystick or keyboard aiming?

Tarantella

Dances with spiders.
Apr 1, 2001
Visit site
I use joystick and mouse succesfully, using a joystick for movement forwards and backwards and turning means I can set my mouse sensitivity for aiming really low (typically 2) so my aiming is plenty accurate without needing centre view.

Playing insta a lot recently though Ive noticed one or two players not seeming to have any vertical movement at all in their aiming and they couple this with never actually jumping but continually dodging.

Each to his own config I suppose but the latter strikes me as a bit of gamesmanship.

What I would really like to see in the game is the removal of the option to have multiple commands activated by the same key press and the removal of the option to have other commands on the onrelease function.

Online FPS' should always be a test of dexterity not of the ability to write scripts and aliases.

Last edited:

mobace

rimmerlike :(
i would like to see centerview eliminated as well. i know specific players i have played against who switched to this method and the difference is ridiculous. for those who don't believe it is a cheat try to think of the interface being an extension of your body...

Angus

Jan 24, 2000
Edmonton,AB,Canada
www.damclan.com
I use a Panther XL, it is both a joystick (move) and a trackball (aim) plus 19 buttons.

I have never used centerview and can't see why anyone would, unless they were using a standard joystick with no mouse or trackball in which case they would get owned badly center view or not!

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Angus:
The thing with center view is this:

If you press the CV key your aim gets fixed vertically and you get always headshots if you hit him horizontally.
Play CTF-Hydro and you will see

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
CV was meant to help keyboard only, or joystick/keyboard users who find themselves staring at the floor. Tap CV and you straighten up. Unfortunately its set for perfect headshot level. I tried it on practice mode and was making shots that I have never made in 2 years of playing UT. I got a 75 headshots in under 5 minutes. I got a monsterkill with headshots. It was absurd. I'm not saying that I could do that kind of stuff with real people, but I certainly could make shots that I otherwise could never make.

Darkbyte, the problem is that its headshot level. If it aimed a foot above headshot level it wouldn't be a problem. Can you do something to just alter the CV code so that it locked on a foot above headshot level? That way it would still serve its intended purpose to help noobies who are stuck staring at their feet, but it couldn't be abused the way its currently being abused to get easy headshots.

Right now CV is half of an aimbot. An aimbot locks the verticle and the horizontal on the enemy's head. CV locks the verticle on the enemy's head and all you have to do is aim the horizontal.

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
i dunno, i guess i just thought it was easy to center the mouse without using a centerview thingie manually while playing...

i also didn't think it would help much, given slopes, and such. but, if you wanna change it, and some people use it innapropriately, go ahead. i'd aim the [CV] view low, though, so it still hits, for n00bs.

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Originally posted by Boom
I tried it on practice mode and was making shots that I have never made in 2 years of playing UT. I got a 75 headshots in under 5 minutes. I got a monsterkill with headshots.

Boom is a cheatAr :D

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
i simply knew there was something 'legal' out there that would enable a guy to do a domination spree with sniper rifle
i definatly support to get rid of it, or to move it out of headshot area