A new site idea?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Well, i was going to start this site up a few weeks ago but decided to put it on hold. I have a nice ammount of idea stuff done on it, and a basic layout (i suck at site design but have help :D), but i wasnt sure if it was to early to start or not...... well i think its the perfect time, but a few peeps disagreed so i have waited!

Heres the idea......

I want to start a mod concepts page, basically Unreal2 only but all unreal engine games also.

The site design and content will be light, as i want most of everything to happen on the forum boards (favorably here but i also have access to 2 other vBulletin boards, me like vB!! ;)) that will be determined after the site is up, and then gets hosted!

On the boards ideas for mods (and whatever else is posted) will be talked over and will grow! After they have been up there for a while, and plenty like/love the idea then a section will be added for it (not sure exactly how would be best)! Having the boards the backbone of the site (not much) there wont be a real need for news updates...... and that will leave less site work! Most anything that a news page can do a forums can do! I like forum boards better than news pages :D :D!!!

Also other things i would like for the site to do is start a MOD DOs and DONTs containing a huge list of things that people think a mod should have or not have!

Personnaly i see starting a site like this now a good thing, as it goves ideas a good chance to grow before U2 comes out and let other moders see what the public wants!!

On the other hand, a site like this might not generate the ammount of response that i have in mind, and be a waste of space! One of the reasons getting the boards for it hosted here would be a bit better but that will have to come afterwards!

Anyway this is still just a idea i have had bothering me for a few weeks! May never happen but i would like to see a good spot for mod ideas to grow before hand!!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
One of the things that Unreal mods are notorious for is

1) Mods in development are numerous.
2) Mods completed are few.
3) Mods actually played widely online are rare.

At first when I read through what you were saying, my reaction was that there really was no need at all for a site... just a Forum. But then I realized that having some "do's and don'ts" might be helpful.

Definitely listing basic ideas in the works would be good, because all too often there are a half dozen teams working on basically the same mod (which never get finished). If those teams were more aware of each other, maybe a collaborative effort would yield a finished product.

I'd be interested in sub-hosting something like this of high-quality, with a Forum here at BU for mod development.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Actually the original site was going to be a splash svreen that lead to the forums LOL!!

You can have news pics and everything else with forums, why nit just use them???

But i wanted to get Planet unreal to host them! And need a site there i guess!

Ill see if i can work up a good arangement for them!!

I can get them on some vBulletin boards (3 now ;)) but i would rather try to get them here so peeps dont have to resign up on another board just for them!! (nothing else there really.....)

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
if you ask real nicely i wouldnt be surprised if BU will host your forums and maybe even your site. I don't know for sure but it can't hurt to ask :tup:

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
I plan on asking, but im more concerned about how people will react?

Will there be a nice ammount of people contributing ideas on mods?

I myself usually like the main game itself but get more out of modified games! TCs mostly! U2 looks as if it may be a very fullfilling game though, i dont like the ut models and guns much, i bought it for the mods, u2 looks like it will have a badass sp and mp in the box!! And the enhancements on the engine will make mods kick ass too!

So do you guys like mods? And would you go and post opinions on others ideas etc or would they be a dead board... :(

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
I love mods. The only reason why I am playing Ut right now is because of its mods. No matter how good a game is it can't keep everyones interest forever so thats where mods come in.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
:D good i like the POSITVE response!!

Ive made some changes to my original site, and am working on it atm!!

I decided to go with a forum based site... i dont know if anyone has done it before?? The way i gott it set up though should be pretty cool, a splash page with a nice Unreal Engine Group pic thing i made in pohotoshop! Then a nice skaarj jumping towards you for the main page with links to the forum pages... just a few hours of tweaking and some forums and a site host and it will be done..

ill probably post some pics and some more stuff i got jotted down on notepad here to see what you guys think!!

I like the site so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.