That Nasty Recursive Logic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GenoOfTheCrayon

l33t 14 year old with an iron sight RC50
Sep 30, 2001
Middleof Nowhere
Visit site
One day a man came to me with his friend. He pointed at his friend and said,"Everything my friend says is the truth." and his friend pointed at him and said,"Everything he says is a lie."

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Or, you could just distill that down to it's essence... "Everything I say is a lie."

If everything I say is a lie, then I'm lying when I say that everything I say is a lie, which means that I'm telling the truth. But, if I'm telling the truth, then everything I say is a lie...

-Keiichi

arrgggg...

boom.gif

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
That's sorta like those T-shirts that say on the front "The statement on the back on this shirt is true" and on the back "The statement on the front of this shirt is false". Messes with your head a bit. :)

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
the electron is a wave/the electron is a particle

anaphors must be bound in their domains/pronouns cannot ever be bound in their domains/PRO (the null-subject in for example "I want [PRO] to have sex with Natalie Portman RIGHT NOW") is both an anaphor and a pronoun

something and everything lie in two separate piles.

everything has a cause/everything eventually goes back to a single ultimate origin (really an extension of the above, but...)

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
"You should never believe me!"
:D

anyway, figure this one out u filosofy peeps:
if u go back in time and kill urself, wtf will happen?

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Roughly translated, so forgive if a bit hard to understand :
"Was it the egg that made the chick or the chick that made the egg ?"

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
Originally posted by Rostam
anyway, figure this one out u filosofy peeps:

I like the idea of the creation of a new plan of existence in this case. The time will follow another route for yourself. Kind of stuff you find in a lot of SF books.

Sancho

I... I am Sancho
Oct 10, 2001
???
Visit site
it would send ripples through time and effect every thing. cause for example if you were dead you couldn't have asked this question, so killing your self in the past has conseqences on every one.

G-Fresh

Red
Aug 6, 2001
Western Mancunia
Ahh... the grandfather paradox (what would happen if you went back and killed your grandfather when he was a boy?) I don't wanna touch that one.

If he's dead, then my dad wouldn't exist, so I wouldn't exist
But if I don't exist, how do I go back in time to kill my grandfather? :hmm:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
The, whups, it's the 15-14 puzzle. You have a set of numbers, 1-15 on blocks, arranged in a square, with the 15 and the 14 reversed. You then have to slide the blocks around until they are all in order from 1 - 15.

The deal is, it's mathematically impossible...but people still claim to have done it :)

Dickcissel

Pro-Spoon
Jun 24, 2000
Time travel

Its not possible to go back and change the past, or at least I don't think it is. If you tried to go back and kill your grandfather something would happen that would make it so that you would fail (What an awkward sentence, sorry!). You can't change the past because its already happened. I used to think about this a lot, but right now I can't think of a way to get my point across.