PDA

View Full Version : unrel ed brush alignment

Oreo Twist
12th Nov 2001, 10:22 PM
Heya,
Millon dollar newb question. How can i get complex brushes to align with the grid... Its really quite annoying that the verts refuse to align with the grid. Whats the ins and outs of this, lemme know before i start doing the dreaded grid resize somemore...

Graeme
12th Nov 2001, 10:33 PM
I'm not exactly sure that I understand the question, but I assume that your problem is that the vertices on your brush aren't positioned in spots that will hit the grid all at the same time. If this is your problem, you can simply move the vertices to the closest point on the grid by holding atl + left-click

If that's not what your question was, then please elaborate.

Machismo
13th Nov 2001, 07:54 AM
as in made using the 2ded ? well then its not possible to have all the vertices on the gird

Oreo Twist
13th Nov 2001, 03:03 PM
its like this, say im putting a pillar in a room. i import the brush, de-intersect so only half the pillar shows and i add the bugger.
Then i rotate the brush and try to put it in the next corner and lo and behold the center vert refuses to align with that corner its in between the units.
The corners are the same cause hey its a box right.. but i cant get it to align :/

Machismo
14th Nov 2001, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Oreo Twist
its like this, say im putting a pillar in a room. i import the brush, de-intersect so only half the pillar shows and i add the bugger.
Then i rotate the brush and try to put it in the next corner and lo and behold the center vert refuses to align with that corner its in between the units.
The corners are the same cause hey its a box right.. but i cant get it to align :/

select the brush and right click on a vertex so that that it rests on the gird and move it into the corner. turn down the gird to 8 or whatever if need be

tarquin
14th Nov 2001, 04:25 AM
in a 2D view: ALT + R-click on a vertex on the brush's origin point to snap that point to the origina & nudge the rest of the brush along with it.
(The brush origin is the dot you see in the centre of cylinders if you look at the from the side. It's (0,0,0) in the brush's personal coordinate system.)

NFG, this may explain why you are plagued by BSP holes to an almost biblical extent.... manual align may LOOK perfect on screen, but you're likely to be off by tiny decimals. :)

tarquin
14th Nov 2001, 05:18 PM
arg arg not the moose again! :eek:

I tried zooming all the way in on a corner or a brush and aligning that to the grid as best I could. The brush props did give (0,0,0) for the location... but one co-ordinate was -0.0000 ... minus zero :con:
I suspect that's due to rounding up from a very small negative number. Might get treated as zero, or there might be lingering side-effetcs, I don't know enough about the internals.