Question about shadows and lighting, please help me...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Alborda

Beta Tester for his own life
Sep 25, 2001
rafaela, santa fe, argentina
Visit site
Hi. I´m new on this.

1) Can someone tell me why these shadows appears on every "inner" vertex? It seems they are on every map. They really ruin the appearance of the walls not to speak the outdoor levels. Do you know how to take them out? (Take a look at the screenshot). I put a light right there, in the corner, and shadow doesn´t go away.

2) Do you know how to make the objects cast "hard" shadows? You know, like the shadows of the buildings on DE_dust (Counterstrike).

I´d really apreciate your help. Thank you.

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
Hello there ,Ok if you set "High Shadow Detail" on, under the texture properties that should give you the shadows you want so whatever surface you want sharp shadows on turn those to high detail im not sure how much of a performance hit it takes from this so just experament:)

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Originally posted by Alborda
2) Do you know how to make the objects cast "hard" shadows? You know, like the shadows of the buildings on DE_dust (Counterstrike).

if you want to have shadows behind brushes, just place a light actor in front of it and you'll notice small shadows... you'll get better results with directional lights [it's best if you only have a few lights, as multiple light obliterate the shadows of the others]

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Real, CS-like, sunlight shadows can't be created with the UT version of the Unreal engine because it doesn't support environmental lighting atm...

(You can simulate it by applying LE_Cylinder lights or similar lighting tricks but it won't look that good and their useability is pretty much limited.)

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
a carpet of spotlight works pretty well to simulate sunlight. maybe not as good as in halflife, but therefor everything else looks far, far better. i won't use cylindric lightning, i think the result looks better if you use statc spots, but maybe its just a question of personal taste

Alborda

Beta Tester for his own life
Sep 25, 2001
rafaela, santa fe, argentina
Visit site
Thanks. It worked really good. I´ve seen some Strike force maps that look sunny.

I have new questions now (I won´t make a new post ´cause they are still questions about shadows and lighting)

The shadows that the brushes cast are too dark. I tried to put some secondary lights but they make new shadows. Is there some way you can make the shadows brighter?

Another problem is that in really dark areas, when i make a brush with "brighter corners" i still see light in the corner (all the rest really dark). Can i paint manually the lightmaps?