PDA

View Full Version : Bots

Cat Fuzz
12th Nov 2001, 04:12 AM
Doesn't anyone else think that UT bots are seriously flawed? I mean, I don't care how much you crank up awareness, they should NOT be able to see thru doors and they should not know your exact location and be able to go straight to you. They don't even hunt around, they just go right to your location and start firing. Also, I hate when you assign a bot to defend the base and they just pic a spot and stand there forever. Dumb, I hope they get better in UW.

JTRipper
12th Nov 2001, 05:03 AM
Yes, UT bots have some flaws. Bear in mind though that there's only so much processing power you can allocate to bots and still offer decent frame rates. As more CPU power is available than was a couple years ago, I imagine you can safely bet that more has been set aside for AI code - more complex behaviours and such.

Deathwing
12th Nov 2001, 01:57 PM
They still shoot you if you're feigning death. That's my problem with them. But I'm happy with them, cause it's pretty much the best AI in any game right now.

QUALTHWAR
12th Nov 2001, 02:13 PM
The way they dance around after they’ve killed you is rude. They are soooooo arrogant. They should have humble bots who say they’re sorry for blowing your head off your shoulders.

Frostblood
12th Nov 2001, 02:13 PM
Compared to the bots in Q3, even novice are quite intelligent. I thought i was fighting easy level and i was actually fighting the 2nd hardest type...and PC Gamer said it had "the meanest bots ever". For them, maybe.

Astyanax
12th Nov 2001, 02:19 PM
I think there very good. This actually happened to me recently:

Some weeks ago, I was testing the botpaths of my CTF-map-in-developement with one bot. Alarik had taken my flag and ran back to his base and I decided to wait for him on top of a wall next to the path he had chosen. When Alarik, still carrying my flag, walked by my wall, I started loading rockets. Alarik noticed that (bots get alerted when you aim at them with the RL), but what could he do? There was no way to escape from the rockets I was about to fire at him.
To my great surprise he did this: Alarik threw his translocator disc up at me and telefragged me! Then he jumped down off the wall to the flag he had dropped in the process, and scored with it!

Later I realized that I was in fact standing on a TranslocDest while waiting for him on that wall, but I had never thought Alarik would use his translocator and drop the flag to kill me!

Still convinced these bots are dumb?

QUALTHWAR
12th Nov 2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Astyanax

Still convinced these bots are dumb?

Of course not. It’s the programmers. http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Astyanax
12th Nov 2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by QUALTHWAR
Of course not. It’s the programmers. http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

1-0 for Qualthwar! :lol:

Frostblood
12th Nov 2001, 02:39 PM
I dont think they are so much intelligent as vicous...you can outwit them but they are very good at killing you in a straight fight. And they seem to think that running away is a good tactic, which is a major flaw. Also, the lower ranks dont act like newbnies, they act like badly programmed bots. But they are still better than the Q3 ones ;)

Balton
12th Nov 2001, 02:45 PM
if you've ever played with CS bots or as already mentioned q3 bots you will love or hate(if you are a whimpy CS player) the UT ones.

Q3 bots, suicidal script isnt a good idea for bot play
CS, the got added from some 3rd party team and they made some great work but they suck. maybe its jsut the old technic.

Vendetta
13th Nov 2001, 12:21 AM
since we are undoubtedly smarter, and able to go places a bot cant , then i think its fair that they see thru doors, darkness, and your inviso.
if i'm not paranoid in the game i'm not having fun. that's why i like godlike bots-sniper only. thats paranoia.

Cat Fuzz
13th Nov 2001, 03:00 PM
They still shouldn't be able to see thru doors. Thats just rediculous. Although it CAN be an advantage, because they give away their position.

One experience I had with an especially annoying bot:

Playing CTF-Midway. There are certain bots that get into the game and if their set-up for sniping and ordered to defend, it is literally impossible to enter their base. They have the ability to shoot you the INSTANT, and I mean instant, you peek your head into their line of sight. No time to even launch a trans disk into the base or fire at the sucker. Your dead. That is not even close to being realistic. Also, even if you could get a trans disk in there, they shoot you the instant you appear, even if the disk is still flying.

Astyanax
13th Nov 2001, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Cat Fuzz
Playing CTF-Midway. There are certain bots that get into the game and if their set-up for sniping and ordered to defend, it is literally impossible to enter their base. They have the ability to shoot you the INSTANT, and I mean instant, you peek your head into their line of sight. No time to even launch a trans disk into the base or fire at the sucker. Your dead. That is not even close to being realistic. Also, even if you could get a trans disk in there, they shoot you the instant you appear, even if the disk is still flying.

I know what u mean, u get the same thing with a red godlike bot defending in EternalCaves with the excessive overkill mod.