The Return of the GIB!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
<i>Origionally Posted by Beerbarron</i>
I've had a round where my squad had to deal with an INF_Player that did the spin/run/fire move over and over and everywhere. So what did we do? We trapped him in the little house across from the two story house on EP (Looking down the road to blue base from the airplane), he was out of ammo and tried to knife me. With perfect unison, we opened up, two MP5s, an M16 and a shottie.

I wish Inf had more realistic damage, that would've been hamburger meat!

Now, with this in mind, I propose that we return the Gib to Infiltration, for those special moments, like recieving more than 300 damage in one second, or extremely long falls. It never makes sense to eat a whole 40mm and just flop down, or to, as Beerbarron did, unload that much ammo into a person and not have anything happen. Who's with me!

DooMfreak

Feb 16, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I say no to 'gibs'. Shrapnel will tear you up pretty good, but not enough to have organized low-poly blobs bouncing around.

And I would say no to realistic 'gibs' too. What is the point? You will have ugly lumps lying around the maps until the round ends.

Trevor_Clim

Is this virtuous?
Aug 6, 2001
Yew
Keg, you are right! we need the old-cool GIBs!
it isnt that realistic, but its more than no having GIBs.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
No .....
It wouldn't add anything, and anyway, just SAVE YOUR AMMO !!!! Don't empty a clip in a single person. :p Brutes. :p
I like the way it's done now.

Galthor

antagonist, absolut
Aug 9, 2001
Rhein-Main
Visit site
direct grenade hits NEED the absolute splatter effect!!
it sounds kind of morbid but without the mess it is no fun the bodies should have at least a bloody skin. and a blood lake around shot players would noz be unrealistic.........:instagib:

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
This is one of those borderline realistic things... on one hand you got the ppl who when someone gets shot the person should explode into pieces... and then you have my opinion which is if you get hit by a 40mm grenade theres going to be mroe pieces than whole. I think that if you get shot no matter how many times you should not be gibbed. I mean you know how much ammo it would take to splatter someone? Too much work... however one direct hit by a 40mm oir a close explosion by a hand nade should definately shred you. I think it would be more fun to have them then not as long as you dont gib by either:
a: falling long distances
b: getting shot alot
Then gibs would be a beautiful compromise. Besides if I remember right the team said they were going to bring in gibs eventually again? :confused:

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
i prefer it the way it is now. and i realy don't think you will get smashed into pieces if you hit the ground after falling long distances. ok, you would be pretty much messed up, but you won't turn into some pieces of flesh bouncing around.

Last edited:

Profe

Jun 12, 2001
Visit site
SoF has the best gibs, its the thing I like most about that game but I think it would be out of place in INF.

DooMfreak

Feb 16, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
"from what I understand, the basic 40mm isn't enough to "gib" someone."
No, it isn't. I'm surprised there is so much support for gibs.
Gibs do not happen in real life. As close as you are going to get is the loss of limbs, and even that would be out of place until there is a new damage model.

&

&quot;Sp!ke&quot;

Getting gibbed from falling down?! I dont have much falling experience, but wouldnt it requieere a pretty HUUUGE drop to make a human go into pieces?;)
And form what I understand, you can sit on a nade when it detonates and you still wouldnt go into pieces...
But maybe jumping of the cliff in Cuban dawn while getting hit 3 times with 40mms would result in a gib, maybe...

ANd I think the RC50 does 3000 in damage, making it the most powerful gun in Inf, and that in RL can shoot somebodys leg off, if theyre (un)lucky..

Spike says: "No to gibs"

DooMfreak

Feb 16, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ANd I think the RC50 does 3000 in damage, making it the most powerful gun in Inf, and that in RL can shoot somebodys leg off, if theyre (un)lucky..
That is false. Hydrostatic shock may destroy any future use of the limb, but the .50 BMG round is not capable of "shooting a limb off".

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
I am against gibs, but I do want something other than when you jump off a cliff, do that fall animation, hit the ground, and then grab your chest and flop to the ground.

-kain-

lurker
Apr 3, 2001
England
realistic blood effects and then the loss of limbs would be cool, or maybe some sort of system where the actual skin of the player gets red marks/blotches on it.

You could have several different corpse models, each with a different skin showing how shot up they were when they eventually hit the bucket.

I would say no to full out 'gib'. But it would be nice, if you shot someone in the head with a Robar, M3S90 or M2HB, to see small chunks of skull fly out.

From what veterans have told me, occasionally shrapnel and other blast fragments would blow off pieces of someone's body. However, I remember one story, that a guy flopped down on a satchel charge (think a grenade powerful enough to destroy a tank), covered up with it, and took the full force of the blast. He was dead. His body was pretty fucked up. But no gib.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
No gibs until it can look less cheesy.

I never liked the "gib" thing that's been a part of FPS's since Duke Nukem and ROTT... I always thought it looked completely implausible and corny... now DOOM, however, had that "man being horribly torn to little bloody pieces" thing right...

Anyways...

Does anyone else find it disturbing when a corpse in INF is shot or fragged for a considerable amount of damage and it suddenly disappears?