PDA

View Full Version : FPS Demo.......


lucifix
10th Nov 2001, 11:35 PM
Whats the best fps demo out now? i have a 56k connection so i cant afford to sit and wait hours just to try them all out, oh and one that has the same sys requirements as UT no higher......

Hourences
11th Nov 2001, 12:03 AM
i liked Red Faction alot, especially cause it has a high replay value cause oou can edit everything, i could script a ultra powerfull gun or i could make small nuclear bombs and stuff, great too kill those humans with, certainly if 1 bomb blows away the hole map :P

Mister_Prophet
11th Nov 2001, 12:28 AM
red faction is an awesome game!

I played the new Wolfenstien demo and killed lots of nazis. Kinda cool.

Deathwing
11th Nov 2001, 02:18 AM
Wolfenstein and Red Faction are the only ones I've played in a while. Both kick ass!

AeroBLASTER
11th Nov 2001, 03:53 AM
I found Red Faction to be mediocre at best. They made a big deal about their geo-mod technology, and it ended up being used for nearly nothing. Aside from that, the gameplay was fair, but nothing special. /me boots up Half-Life...

Rabid Wolf
11th Nov 2001, 08:40 AM
well it so happens that I saw three videos yesterday.
chaser (official teaser)
serious sam 2 commented in-game movie)
halo (x-box, commented in-game movie)

here are my thoughts:

chaser
looks very, very interesting. the architecture was very blockish, but had nice detail and very nice texturing.
I'm not sure what gameplay will be like.
you had a bunch of special forces protect a "witness", leading him out of an urban building complex. that looked a lot like ghey tactical fps crap.
on the other hand, you had a single lady with a sniper rifle making it up onto a roof and executing the witness, with all the special forces looking pretty stupid. :) that would be more my kind of thing. but the game is far down the line, there ain't no demo near.

serious sam 2
looked quite dissappointing actually. gameplay seems your usual frag-the-hordes thingy which with ss1 I found to bore me quite soon.
there was a level where everything rotated, but the architecture was horribly low poly :/
then there was a snow level with windmills and little huts, and trees made of two sheets :D
and I swear to god a monster got cought behind one of these trees. *rofl*

halo.
okay, this is the x-box version, and because billy wants us all to buy one the pc version won't come anytime soon (if ever).
still...
I guess it looked nice enough.
the aliens were all smallish things, that seemed to run through the landscape with no goal.
you could get into vehicles, and once you were driving them, some ai buddies would jump on and operate the board cannons.
that's where I wondered... I never saw the bots drive a vehicle and the player operate the guns... hmmm...
gameplay was decidedly too hectic for my taste. it was worse than some really crap battlemech action thingy... :/

@kuma
11th Nov 2001, 08:50 AM
red faction looks like Half Life, but uglier

the ps2 version was fun but the PC one is a little bit **** compared to what I was expecting

Get wolfenstien, its great

failing that try some UT mods, INF or TO :p

Rabid Wolf
11th Nov 2001, 09:17 AM
were you the one with the celeron 500 & onboard grafix?
if so you'll find few if any of the current demos that would run anywhere near smoothly playable.

but I wonder what you're looking for anyway.
are you looking into a new game to see what it's like?
or are you just looking for something to play for as long as it lasts as a nice change from UT?

If the latter is the case, there are lots of demos out there from older games.
just go look for some through google or something "fps demo download", etc...

many an obscure demo from games that never got big can still be found on the net. but those are for off-line play. if you look for on-line things, I dunno.

did you get gore to run yet? (yes it sucks, but you could run it with your hardware.)
did you look into the wheel of time demo? (just two sp levels, but nice ones.)
maybe there's a klingon honor guard demo still around somewhere?
star trek voyager elite force also runs on older machines.
there were plenty of games.

just go look around on the net some.

Hourences
11th Nov 2001, 09:23 AM
well yah the game is a bit blury and stuff but its fun to play and its very editable, dont have the full game yet, but i heard it has a nice level editor and you can easy script your own weaons and stuff, great fun :)

great game to mess around with

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
were you the one with the celeron 500 & onboard grafix?
if so you'll find few if any of the current demos that would run anywhere near smoothly playable.

but I wonder what you're looking for anyway.
are you looking into a new game to see what it's like?
or are you just looking for something to play for as long as it lasts as a nice change from UT?

If the latter is the case, there are lots of demos out there from older games.
just go look for some through google or something "fps demo download", etc...

many an obscure demo from games that never got big can still be found on the net. but those are for off-line play. if you look for on-line things, I dunno.

did you get gore to run yet? (yes it sucks, but you could run it with your hardware.)
did you look into the wheel of time demo? (just two sp levels, but nice ones.)
maybe there's a klingon honor guard demo still around somewhere? (if there ever was one?)
star trek voyager elite force also runs on older machines.
there were plenty of games.

just go look around on the net some. yep thats me. just a sample of some games that wont play on my pc alone in the dark4,american mcgees alice, soldier of fortune and no i never got gore to work. ut runs perfect with dynamic lighting off and q3a runs ok with a little slow down here and there. i have given up on finding "new' games to run on my pc.......i guess im running out of options........damnit i suck........
:redeemer:
oh, i forgot vampire the masquerade, it wont run either.

Rabid Wolf
11th Nov 2001, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by lucifix
yep thats me. just a sample of some games that wont play on my pc alone in the dark4,american mcgees alice, soldier of fortune and no i never got gore to work. ut runs perfect with dynamic lighting off and q3a runs ok with a little slow down here and there. i have given up on finding "new' games to run on my pc.......i guess im running out of options........damnit i suck........
:redeemer:

hey that's my config, too. a celeron 500 with an i810e and 64MB RAM was what it came like.
and it sucked!!! half a year later already...
but then I got me the latest drivers for the i810 and that made it a wee little more bearable.
but it wasn't until I got 128 MB of extra RAM that things got way better. no, it still isn't a powerhouse, but everything runs way more smooth. you'll know that the only render mode UT runs with is the software renderer. direct 3d had like 2 frames per second, and at times would precache forever. but with the extra ram d3d works wonderfully.
if you don't see any chance of getting a better computer anytime soon, I seriously suggest you get yourself extra RAM. It was never as cheap as it's now, especially since the retailers wanna get rid of their stocks of 100MHz SD-RAMs.

but even with only 64MB I got gore to run fine on low details. dunno why it doesn't work on yours.

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf


hey that's my config, too. a celeron 500 with an i810e and 64MB RAM was what it came like.
and it sucked!!! half a year later already...
but then I got me the latest drivers for the i810 and that made it a wee little more bearable.
but it wasn't until I got 128 MB of extra RAM that things got way better. no, it still isn't a powerhouse, but everything runs way more smooth. you'll know that the only render mode UT runs with is the software renderer. direct 3d had like 2 frames per second, and at times would precache forever. but with the extra ram d3d works wonderfully.
if you don't see any chance of getting a better computer anytime soon, I seriously suggest you get yourself extra RAM. It was never as cheap as it's now, especially since the retailers wanna get rid of their stocks of 100MHz SD-RAMs.

but even with only 64MB I got gore to run fine on low details. dunno why it doesn't work on yours. i also got the updated drivers and 256mb ram. as far as setting the options in gore well the "words" dont even show up so i have no idea wht the **** im clicking on.......

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 09:42 AM
just name the better fps games from the past up until ut

@kuma
11th Nov 2001, 09:59 AM
CS might run ok on your setup - you do have HL, don't you?

kingpin was ok I guess, so was Sin (Inoxxs favorite FPS :p)

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by @kuma
CS might run ok on your setup - you do have HL, don't you?

kingpin was ok I guess, so was Sin (Inoxxs favorite FPS :p) do you know where i could dl sin? and a good link to dl demos? wonderif the new wolfenstein would run.........

Dai2
11th Nov 2001, 10:23 AM
is RTCW out? :B

Rabid Wolf
11th Nov 2001, 10:52 AM
Here are four older ones. I considered the filesize when giving suggestions. Finding anything under 30 MB is virtually impossible. Unless maybe share-ware versions of doom or duke3d, but that stuff is too old I guess.


REQUIEM demo (32MB via ftp)

This is a game where you are an angel with "magic" powers if you're in the immortal realm and good old shooting thingies if you're in the mortal realms. Got the full version which is nice, but I don't know what 3 missions the demo comes with.

Info (http://www.3do.com/requiem/)
Download (http://www.3do.com/requiem/demo/demo.htm)



SIN demo (34MB via http)

I am right now downloading this myself. It's been around a while but looks nice. Dunno what to say about it.

Info (http://www.ritual.com/sin/index2.html)
Download (http://www.ritual.com/sin/files_demo.html)



KLINGON HONOR GUARD demo (31MB via ftp)

Well here you're a klingon. Bath'let and all... based on the unreal engine. played the demo a long time ago, and ordered the full version the other day for a whopping $3.95 :D still waiting for it to deliver, though...

Microprose doesn't have their official site for the game up anymore cause they got pissed down their backs by the license-holders Paramount. So no Info here. :(

Download (ftp://ftp.microprose.com/pub/mps-online/demos/khgdemo.exe)



THE CHOSEN (Blood 2) demo (36MB via a semi-ghey fileplanet mirror)

This is fun. Oh this is fun... :p

Info (http://www.the-chosen.com/)
Download (http://xferla4.fileplanet.com/planetquake/blood2/demo/b2demoa.zip)

Hourences
11th Nov 2001, 11:09 AM
ooh yah requim is cool, played the demo alot

Claw
11th Nov 2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Dai2
is RTCW out? :B

What is "RTCW"?

Hourences
11th Nov 2001, 12:02 PM
return to castle wolfestein

Rabid Wolf
11th Nov 2001, 12:12 PM
damn! sin is cool.
but only on openGL. the software renderer sucks. nice game that.

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
damn! sin is cool.
but only on openGL. the software renderer sucks. nice game that. really? im dling blood2 now....will get sin later......must sleep soon...sun burning.........MY FLESAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 12:25 PM
what is opengl? im not really sure......i tried using it in some games but didnt notice any difference.

Rabid Wolf
11th Nov 2001, 12:43 PM
in a nutshell openGL is a render mode.
your card will most probably have compatibility with it installed, but probably not the latest drivers for it.
If you go here (http://www.glsetup.com/where.htm), you can download a little (~200KB) programm that detects your grafix card and automatically downloads the very latest necessary drivers for it.
you'll have to be online for that.

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 12:47 PM
kool, i will get that. i started bllod2 at 12am and its on 77% now..........

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 01:55 PM
blood2 isnt that bad, kinda reminds me of goldeneye. now for sin......

Frostblood
11th Nov 2001, 02:02 PM
Red Faction is OK. The single player sucks, but the multiplayer is very fun and the engine has massive mod possibilitys. Imagine CS with the RF engine...

Rabid Wolf
11th Nov 2001, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by lucifix
blood2 isnt that bad, kinda reminds me of goldeneye. now for sin......

I'd call sin a mixture between q2 and syphon filter-ish games.

Deathwing
11th Nov 2001, 02:50 PM
I have the full version of Sin, and the rest of the game makes the demo look like ****. It's only like 5 bucks now. Just buy the whole thing.

lucifix
11th Nov 2001, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Deathwing
I have the full version of Sin, and the rest of the game makes the demo look like ****. It's only like 5 bucks now. Just buy the whole thing. i would if i could find it

Rabid Wolf
11th Nov 2001, 03:38 PM
If you don't have any games store near you, you'll have to depend on online stores and mail-order.
I don't know any "regular" US stores, but in the end lame old overpriced Amazon always will have what you look for.

dead clown
11th Nov 2001, 04:05 PM
i downloaded the wolfenstein demo (or the test anyway - the beach invasion one) and it just seems to be an awkward version of TFC with added nazis. the interface is cramped and unintuitive and the online play is laggy as hell, even on cable.

Balton
11th Nov 2001, 04:07 PM
the last fps demo i got is code:outbreak nice for some test but i wouldnt buy it. if you have broadband(flatrate) give it a go.
the redfaction mp demo was cool too.
the wolfenstein thing is like a copy of the best saving privat ryan scene...

yeah, theres some other stuff in mind ut cant remember well...

Hourences
11th Nov 2001, 05:23 PM
if you call that test map from rtcw cool then im god, thats no atsmofere, the map needs to show a war, not some beachnature, i bareley hear bullets and explosion in the map for instance > erm, it is there in the real stuff so where is it in the map ?
found light probs too and some other stuff
only the flametrower was leet, the rest was just an tweaked up TFC-CS combination from half life

Rabid Wolf
12th Nov 2001, 01:58 PM
so! you got the blood2 demo through yet? wasn't that long was it?
what do you think of sin?

Balton
12th Nov 2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
so! you got the blood2 demo through yet? wasn't that long was it?
what do you think of sin?

I had the full-version of blood2 was very funny the game. especialy the subway fights. I really felt like a 'syco or Killler or I dont know. I call these games "killer-games" where you really get the feeling of being a killer.
and I want to get sin but its like not for sold in germany...

lucifix
13th Nov 2001, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
so! you got the blood2 demo through yet? wasn't that long was it?
what do you think of sin? yea i got blood2, it took around 2 1/2 hours. havent got sin yet. i thought fps games were either like doom/duke3d or ut/q3a, i didnt know there were some that fell in the middle...........

lucifix
13th Nov 2001, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
If you don't have any games store near you, you'll have to depend on online stores and mail-order.
I don't know any "regular" US stores, but in the end lame old overpriced Amazon always will have what you look for. the closet thing i have to a game store is wal-mart:) i would order online but the only places i have seen will only accept credit cards and i dont have one :(

oosyxxx
13th Nov 2001, 10:09 AM
I liked the beach map in the test v. of RTCW, though I experienced mouse lag (and projectile lag, oddly enough) even when I served. Granted, it's a test v. of the game, but yes, it's a slightly prettier v. of TFC. Hmmm. I realized this incoherent post will help no one. I will post it anyway. Take that!