PDA

View Full Version : Sunspire Codex

Twrecks
10th Nov 2001, 07:23 PM
:tdown: :tdown:
I must admit PU is reaching.
The memory of NaliCity still hot on the minds of PUFers they introduce Sunspire Codex like the Review site from God.
Never a seeya later or bye from them on NC on the main page.
*poof* we (NC) simply did not exsist.
To make matters worse, the review of DM-Rumblepitt mocks at NC, a map made for MSUC! and scored in the vien of that day and not of today. Why not rereview Scimitar and Helleth?
Sorry for being bitter, but these guys need to open themselves up to some good ol'fashon flammin.
Ooohhhh... they have a Forum :hmm:
Well maybe I can make a suggestion for them for this:
:tup:

Scorpio911
10th Nov 2001, 07:45 PM
Yeah I couldn't believe they were tryin' to push that sh!t in our faces after they had just dropped NC. I mean come on, get over it PU, your hosting sucks, your hosted sites (with a few exceptions) suck, your updates are lame, so don't keep F'ing with NC just because it's THE Unreal community site and not you. Pathetic.

@kuma
10th Nov 2001, 07:52 PM
Why not rereview Scimitar and Helleth?

Can I get a Hell yeah?

/me hugs PU

Deathwing
10th Nov 2001, 07:54 PM
They've even got a newest reviews list for Sunspire right at the top of PU! They are obviously trying as hard as they can to cushion the blow they did to themselves by dropping NC. I admit that the reviews at Sunspire are not bad, but it could never replace NC.

@kuma
10th Nov 2001, 07:55 PM
They've got a little bit of work to do if theyre going to catch up with NC in numbers of reviews.

RaptoR
10th Nov 2001, 08:05 PM
Sunspire is GameSpy's manufactured Nali City "replacement". Under any other circumstances I would have welcomed the presence of another good reviewing site in the community, in fact I have nothing against the site itself.

What sickens me is the way that GSI have conveniently swept Nali City under the proverbial rug and replaced it with a brand new and unproven site.

I can see Sunspire playing a large part in the "new" PlanetUnreal. Hell, it was founded by two of the "new" PU Forumers. In the end it doesn't matter what GSI try to put in Nali City's place, NC has IS the biggest UT mapping site on the planet, and it's success will undoubtedly continue on BU in the coming months and years.

JTRipper
10th Nov 2001, 08:13 PM
I only read the 5 they p1mped in their forums. Then I saw that they're "the high-quality review alternative!". Eh, ok. Then I saw that "There's not three people more qualified to run a popular map/review site on the planet." Hmm. Then that "We thought that the community needed a high-quality site, and there just weren't any." Then the back-handed compliments in the forums... not exactly a class launch. I'll check back in a month. Maybe.

Hourences
10th Nov 2001, 08:19 PM
yah totaly agree

the words from Xortrus from sunspire(notice sunspire <> nalicity, both from unreal, both mean a city place kinda if you want to search it that far :) ) : "I emailed you to ask for advice on a new map site, well, we got offered hosting at PU" > pu themselfes looked for a new site to replace nc, the guy who runs it is been totaly brainwashed by gsi
from pu : ''Also of interest are the Sunspire Codex Forums, which will undoubtedly become very popular" yes reallllllly, the good old forumplanet.....

''and damn i loved those review now i want to download the maps''(sarcastic), hmm like how ? they dont have the files, and even if they have backups of NC, then they will never have the newest maps, so what are they trying ffs ?

blah @ GSI

BangOut
10th Nov 2001, 08:36 PM
First they get so $ driven as to make Pete leave, then ForumPlanet, they take away my e-mail, and now they try to put a Band-Aid on their snafus with a candy coated new site like several others that popped up in the last two years. I enjoyed being hosted by them but their sins seem to have piled up too far. I look forward to having both my sites over here.

@kuma
10th Nov 2001, 08:59 PM
PU turned down a hosting request from a reasonably talented mapper recently, saying they only want 'professional' content from now on.

Guess they'll be wearing out the DEL key while they clean up their FTP then... There's absolutely no reason to visit that site now (well, maybe the lovely Mapped)

BangOut
10th Nov 2001, 09:05 PM
http://www.planetunreal.com/MappeD/_themes/james/neobkgnd.jpg

luquado
10th Nov 2001, 10:57 PM
Well, I accepted Xortrus's invitation and had some beers, and to tell you the truth... they're nice folks. Seriously. And Nali Girl is a cutie ;)

Turns out Xortrus had applied to review for NC about a year ago under the nick "MacTheNife" but I didn't take him as he was too hard on maps and wrote really short reviews.

We talked for a while about their new site and goals, I encouraged them to move off of PU ASAP, but they seemed really starstuck with being #1 on the Unreal Top 100 today and believing the line of bull**** GSI is feeding them. He said (trying to quote from memory) "we're not trying to be the next Nali City, we're just trying to run our site and GameSpy keeps piling all this attention on us... we're not complaining tho."

X lives in Irving, about 20 minutes from me, so I'm sure I'll be getting to know him better and continuing my encouragement to move their site.

Either that, or I'll recruit them to be NC reviewers :D They have some good stuff.

Oh yeah. And I'm back. Got moved in OK down here.

JTRipper
10th Nov 2001, 11:42 PM
I think you're a reasonably good judge of character, but I'll let the site speak for itself. It will sooner or later anyway. Oh, and welcome back. ;)

UnrealGrrl
10th Nov 2001, 11:47 PM
well ck this out...

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=90544

and read till the end... im all for good review sites and a nice mix of things but i still dont know what to make of this...

:confused:

and welcome back luq :tup:

luquado
10th Nov 2001, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by JTRipper
I think you're a reasonably good judge of character, but I'll let the site speak for itself. It will sooner or later anyway. Oh, and welcome back. ;)

Hehe, thanks.

Yes, I'm VERY curious as to how their site does. Just replied to an email from the man asking me what other suggestions I had, told him "Get off of PU, but if you're staying, tell them to stop putting your site in visitors' faces, it looks suspicious." We'll see.

NYGrrrl : Read that thread. Hmmm... very peculiar...

Hourences
10th Nov 2001, 11:51 PM
a huge WB d00d :D

UnrealGrrl
11th Nov 2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by luquado

NYGrrrl : Read that thread. Hmmm... very peculiar...

yea but isnt it... :confused: at least ya got to have some beer with the local nalis :tup:

seeya online...

Deathwing
11th Nov 2001, 02:42 AM
I just read their about page.

Sarah and I were talking about the recent troubles that had befallen many review sites, namely UTBooty, Frag Facility and Nali City. You see, sites like those can't really judge maps honestly, since they live and die by their popularity.

It seemed dumb for us to be a map download site; the venerable Nali City will always reign supreme. Therefore, we decided that our reviews should be high-quality; that we should not use a numeric scoring system since criteria are so different for the various gametypes and mods, etc. It's no slam to sites that use the NC system or derivative thereof, but we think it's dumb.

Nali City cannot judge maps honestly, has a ****ty scoring system, and sacrifices review quality for multitudes of map downloads, and yet still managed to be their inspiration. I hate to knock these guys, but they gotta get rid of this sense of supremacy, or else they will end up just like they claimed the sites they listed did and sell out to site hits.

luquado
11th Nov 2001, 03:01 AM
Well, to a certain extent, D, that's true.

As a reviewer, I've felt hamstrung by our scoring system sometimes, y'know? Like, I helped WRITE it. I just get the impression they're trying to do something different than the cookie cutter "review scoring" system. And, for a time, there was ENORMOUS pressure on us to churn out lots of reviews, and our quality often suffered.

Now, though, er, lately, we slowed down and sacrificed daily visitors for quality. Much better that way :D So that statement is false for us now.

Seriously, guys, these people are really nice folks. Just leave them be. I, for one, willbe visiting a few times a week to check out their reviews; I like 'em. You're free not to, I guess, but I think they're refreshing.

Count me in as a supporter of their new site. The more opinions out there, the better. :p

Deathwing
11th Nov 2001, 03:19 AM
I know about pressure to churn out reviews, and I am also aware that some of Nali City's previous reviews were, well, crap. ;) But that was a year and a half ago!

Of what I've read so far, I'm impressed by what I see at that site so far. But they sound too sure that they will be the best review site that there is, has, and ever will be. Right now I'd call myself a supporter too though.

Varpu
11th Nov 2001, 03:19 AM
We need all help we can get on plowing the great pile of sand called our map database. You may find a grain of gold but searching is very tough job.

The guys and gals at Sunspire Codex at least try to cope with all the maps around. Funny though, they are now having the same download problems (http://www.forumplanet.com/planetunreal/sunspire/topic.asp?fid=4073&tid=440567) as we did at our PU times (LOL the pastence ...).

By treating them nicely, we may get them as a valuable addition to our crew when they get sickened by PU !

luquado
11th Nov 2001, 03:22 AM
Shhh, I'm going to try and steal them away when they get sick of PU. Good quality stuff.

Mad Merse
11th Nov 2001, 03:38 AM
Yet another nail (nali?) in the coffin of GSI. Absolutely revolting. :mad:

aeternus
11th Nov 2001, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Deathwing
But they sound too sure that they will be the best review site that there is, has, and ever will be. Right now I'd call myself a supporter too though.

the best review site that there is, has, and ever will is MappeD.

Too bad that Headshot is no more...

Dai2
11th Nov 2001, 04:12 AM
http://www.planetunreal.com/sunspire/reviews/review.asp?id=11

that's actually a good review - when was the last time we saw one of those on NC? :o

aeternus
11th Nov 2001, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Dai2
http://www.planetunreal.com/sunspire/reviews/review.asp?id=11

that's actually a good review - when was the last time we saw one of those on NC? :o

CTF-Abase? check this -> http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/review.php?id=7704

Dai2
11th Nov 2001, 05:03 AM
I ment a good review - not a review of CTF-Abase :rolleyes:

ChrisToth.hu
11th Nov 2001, 08:32 AM
Personally, I don't like that feeling of superiority they seem to have but that could be caused by the fact that they are sooo much supported by GSI. Which must be a really good feeling as GSI is the largest, the best, the mightiest... :rolleyes:

But this can change in the future.

Anyways, if they can do good reviews that's cool.
(They'll get sick of GSI soon IMO...eg. when they decide to put a full-screen banner onto their site :) )

Good luck guys!

@kuma
11th Nov 2001, 08:45 AM
that site is cool so far but the first bad review they do will damage their credibilty as an 'alternative to mainstream crap review sites'...maybe they're the first review site since MPQ (when Warren was running it) realise that.

You people are acting like you've just found out the GSI Santa is really just an out of work alcoholic actor with a false beard who enjoys letting kids sit on his lap a bit too much.

GSI is just buisness as usual, don't "hate the playaz" and all that stuff.

UnrealGrrl
11th Nov 2001, 01:32 PM
yea but whoever wrote thier banner was setting them up for it...

"the higher standards start here"
"the best map reviews are all on the best site"

thats asking to be kicked... :)

Ulukai
11th Nov 2001, 01:37 PM
I vote for a good old fashioned, down to earth punch-up to sort it all out. Please leave all weapons, including knives, guns, pointy sticks, rodents and all brands of sarcasm at the door.

Thank you and have a nice day :p

@kuma
11th Nov 2001, 02:16 PM
thats asking to be kicked...

only if they slip up - if they do a headshot or a UTbooty style review than I'd be all over their ass like white on rye for claiming to be 'the best review site'

but they've not ****ed up.... yet.

give it time

UnrealGrrl
11th Nov 2001, 03:18 PM
i know thats why i said "setting them up for it"...

still hope they end up either being a good site on pu or good reviewers on nalicity ;)

aeternus
11th Nov 2001, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by @kuma

only if they slip up - if they do a headshot or a UTbooty style review than I'd be all over their ass like white on rye for claiming to be 'the best review site'

but they've not ****ed up.... yet.

give it time

headshot was good imo.
not everyone likes hardcore-style boring maps. i like to see beautiful or/and original stuff in a DM, like TheIsleBeta, Chimeara or RedHeat2.
...but i'm manly into CTF and AS.

i don't know about the best review site (MappeD is my favourite) but for sure NaliCity was often the worst

btw. yes, i like Rage2 and Campersparadise too

DavidM
11th Nov 2001, 03:45 PM
they are ok until now
the intenser review is a little ****ed tho

BangOut
11th Nov 2001, 03:45 PM
aww, you're making me blush!

Originally posted by BangOut
http://www.planetunreal.com/MappeD/_themes/james/neobkgnd.jpg

luquado
11th Nov 2001, 04:44 PM
One bad review and they're going to get spanked like naughty schoolgirls.

JTRipper
11th Nov 2001, 05:19 PM
Who's going to film that?

SkaarjMaster
11th Nov 2001, 07:26 PM
Where is DM-Obsessive? Went to NC and it said page can't be found. Is this one of those 3rd party maps? Sunspire Codex just reviewed this and I would like to download it. Anyone know where it is? Thank you.

SkaarjMaster

aeternus
11th Nov 2001, 07:31 PM
http://www.planetunreal.com/plutonic/

DavidM
12th Nov 2001, 01:22 AM
like they are going to be spanked when they give THAT map a good review :)

fragswill
12th Nov 2001, 01:54 AM
Hah! They think they can get my liking by giving my map a good review, well.. it's working :(

DavidM
12th Nov 2001, 01:55 AM
I think they ****ed it now, he said it has good lighting 0_o

"Nothing says Alan Willard like simplistic looking texture work and use of
geometry plus a layout full of great gameplay."
how proffesional it sounds :P
/me ph34rs willard

@kuma
12th Nov 2001, 10:01 AM
Obsessive should have got 2 x thumbs up IMO

They're teh harsh

Deathwing
12th Nov 2001, 01:28 PM
I agree with the Obsessive review. One thumb up is just what the map deserves.

DavidM
12th Nov 2001, 01:32 PM
ehm no :|

I have to disagree with all of the following:

"Add in the good texture work, ambient sounds, intelligent and good looking lighting use, the blue skybox attractively backdropped against the brownish level, and the sprited sun with lens flares and you've got a sharp, polished, and mostly good-looking level."

fragswill
12th Nov 2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by DavidM
I have to disagree with all of the following:

k

DavidM
12th Nov 2001, 02:44 PM
what a useful post

Yoda
12th Nov 2001, 06:29 PM
Methinks it's alot harder to slip up on a review when your rating system essentially has 3 ratings, good, ok, and bad :-)

Twrecks
12th Nov 2001, 08:05 PM
a scale is a scale
Though I am confuse about the two thumb rulings, where's the other reviewer? Even the frikin Emporer of Rome was only allowed one thumb...
and the sideways thumb? Musta got stuck somewhere :p

Claw
12th Nov 2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Yoda
Methinks it's alot harder to slip up on a review when your rating system essentially has 3 ratings, good, ok, and bad :-)

Yeah. I can't see this voting system bein' soo super-original, no offence intended. The reviews actually remind me of some older NC reviews, 'cept the reviews on Sunspire are harsher. Still, I like the NC voting system. It's good to know a map has been rated down 'cos of the lack of flow 'cos I care s*** about flow.

Or predictability. I predict PEOPLE. I guess if the opponent I just shot at is dumb enough to walk the other 'way round where I expect him or if he's clever and waits behind a corner for a moment only to come exactly the way he was going while I am looking the other way. And then I take action according to my judgement of my enemy, and the map is only secondary. I don't wait for some sound that tells me around which corner my enemy will appear in a sec, to greet him with a rocket.
I hate bein' killed by ppl who know a map 'cos they send ther rockets towards where I come 'rond the corner before I actually do, because they could predict my appearence thx to some sound effect or other B$.

So you're gettin' a hint on why I don't like their reviews too much... tumbs up/down tells me THEIR opinion on a good map, which means nothing to li'll me who has a different point of view.
So what I get is more or less nothing. I decided to dl a few maps they reviewed, but based this decision entirely on the screenshots. Those weren't half bad at least :tup:

NC's more recent reviews were usually very detailed and gave me a better image of what to expect.

Besides, they emphasize the lack of quality in (all) other map review sites entirely too often in my not really humble opinion. I don't like that attitude much. :hmm:

We'll see I guess. No need to condemn them from the start. We can still do that later :D

@kuma
12th Nov 2001, 10:11 PM
I dunno about you number-obsessives but I really just want to know is the map great/good/ok/poor/scimitarish

NC's review scheme has more stats than most RPG's :)

Yoda
12th Nov 2001, 10:15 PM
Before the new scheme, the complaint was the ratings had no basis...

It's impossible to make you people happy ;)

DavidM
13th Nov 2001, 12:13 AM
yeah akuma is right
all the NC guys please shuddup (cause you are just childish and jealous:p)
actually I just need 3 ratings
l33t; so so; decyber

fragswill
13th Nov 2001, 12:32 AM
DavidM, l33t or Alan Willard

DavidM
13th Nov 2001, 12:33 AM
even better 0_o

luquado
13th Nov 2001, 12:40 AM
Hey, I never criticized their site so don't lump me in :p

Like I've said, I think they're off to a good start.

Though I'll say it again, one bad review and the community will turn against them. Maybe not permanently, but it'll definitely damage their image.

Oh, and to everyone complaining about their attitude and stuff, it's called promotion. When I was in Guava, we said we were the best band in Northeast Ohio. You have to say stuff like that to cause a stir and get people talking. :D

JTRipper
13th Nov 2001, 01:49 AM
It's almost on-topic (if you've been drinking)

http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/computarfunnys/comic-24.htm

luquado
13th Nov 2001, 01:54 AM
Yeah, Lowtax has no love for GameSpy since he left them. :)

They have like, what, 2.917 planet site?

JTRipper
13th Nov 2001, 02:03 AM
Lowtax has no love for anyone. Some of those Jeff K comics rule. ;)

luquado
13th Nov 2001, 02:15 AM
I think he loves his cat. Despite (rightfully) mocking the creature for being insane.

jreister
13th Nov 2001, 03:14 AM
Despite from personal likes or dislikes (especially for certain texture packages) I think one can call DM-Obsessive a very good made map (not an excellent one).

Aside from this I wonder where they grab out this old maps. Nobody cares for DecyberEscher... There are plenty of new maps still not reviewed...

fragswill
13th Nov 2001, 03:46 AM
Their reviewing of a lot of poor maps could only mean 3 things in my eyes:
1. They want to make clear that they review for mappers, not for players.
2. They mean to review as many maps as NC or more, so they might as well start with some bad ones.
3. They're stupid.

Yoda
13th Nov 2001, 03:48 AM
They only have ~1683 to go!

RedFox
13th Nov 2001, 05:52 AM
NC reviews was good, are 1337 and will be the best all over the world!

RedFox
13th Nov 2001, 06:06 AM
Live is http://www.planetunreal.com/sunspire/icons/2thumbdown.gif, NC is http://www.planetunreal.com/sunspire/icons/2thumbdown.gif, friendship is http://www.planetunreal.com/sunspire/icons/2thumbdown.gif, love is http://www.planetunreal.com/sunspire/icons/2thumbdown.gif, BUT SUNSPIRE CODEX IS http://www.planetunreal.com/sunspire/icons/2thumbup.gif. :mad:

fragswill
13th Nov 2001, 06:09 AM
Yeahh..

RedFox
13th Nov 2001, 06:22 AM
I'm from Russia and I'm a newb member of NC=UT community and I don't know WHY PU kicked NC, PlatinumDesign and other good sites off. So, why did they do that? They must be mad or what? :mad:

DavidM
13th Nov 2001, 07:06 AM
the new redef-PU wants proffesionals (like maverick and SAS)

RedFox
13th Nov 2001, 07:15 AM
He-he-he, I dont think they can find more proffesional guys than that they kicked off.

DavidM
13th Nov 2001, 07:17 AM
you are trying to tell us that NC is professional?
its nothing compared to chainsaw reviews :|

RedFox
13th Nov 2001, 07:30 AM
yeah, yeah, yeah! I totally agree with you.... http://forums.xaos.ru/images/smilies/russian.gif :-/

Ulukai
13th Nov 2001, 07:52 AM
DM-Obsessive had some impressive brushwork but the light greenings made me think yuk. But anyway.....

fragswill
13th Nov 2001, 10:05 AM
The layout of the map is a winner.

@kuma
13th Nov 2001, 10:20 AM
TBH i rate it highly because it's fresh and not in the 'classic' richrig & crates style of DavidM and the 7 German Dwarfs :p

The lighting greens out but plutonic is pretty much the only 'high profile' mapper doing his own ting these days O_o

Dai2
13th Nov 2001, 10:27 AM
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/spaceship/spaceship5.jpg

Ulukai
13th Nov 2001, 11:21 AM
/mental note to self: Don't post on the BBS after consuming any amount of alchohol

Claw
13th Nov 2001, 11:49 AM
I dunno about you number-obsessives but I really just want to know is the map great/good/ok/poor/scimitarish

NC's review scheme has more stats than most RPG's :)

/me no care fo numbers other than a guidline - it seing what parts of map are gooder or less :rolleyes:

Like, DM-DMUT-Cryptic][ got rated down for not having good flow. I don't care. Review says atmosphere is good, and I like that.
Oh, well. Most of the new reviews are so thorough and well structured that I don't need to look at the numbers really. It's still good to force a bit objectivity on the reviewers; they can still add their personal opinion like "The rating system doesn't allow me to rate the map zero although I'd like to" and we can make of that what we want. A good system. ;)

So I can conclude the rating numbers are a kind of smallest common denominator that are useful if the review doesn't give me a clear enough picture of what to expect.

@kuma
13th Nov 2001, 12:08 PM
I do my own, uh, 'ting' almost every day

getting though a lot of kleenex & hand cream I'll bet

Claw
13th Nov 2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by luquado
Oh, and to everyone complaining about their attitude and stuff, it's called promotion. When I was in Guava, we said we were the best band in Northeast Ohio. You have to say stuff like that to cause a stir and get people talking. :D

Don't be so f*** positive :rolleyes:

I don't mind anyone saying they're best. It's saying how bad the others are (over and over again) what ticks me off. Note they don't say worse but outright bad.
Makes difference to me. And then adding such offhand remarks about how a bad map would be rated highly on those other sucky map review sites... cheap. :hmm:

Well, you don't mind. Got it. I do. Now we'll wait for the thing to come 'k? ;)

S4r4hAtDI
13th Nov 2001, 12:35 PM
well I couldn't help but to come back and see what people were saying about our new site. all i can say is "wow!"

it seems a lot of the negativity is focused at our hosts, which is too bad, but i hope that having two sites being productive will have a positive effect on everyobdy and not such a negative one. it's just a game! don't get so worked up

"sorry for being bitter, but these guys need to open themselves up to some good ol'fashon flammin." - I was hoping we could avoid flames for a little while
"I admit that the reviews at Sunspire are not bad, but it could never replace NC." - thanks 'wing. btw- we're not trying to replace anybody.
"in fact I have nothing against the site itself." - thx to anybody who can keep this open atitude :-)
"but they've not ****ed up.... yet. give it time" - we'll behave as long as you're still looking over our shoulder :-)
oh... and i'm sticking with one thumb up for Obsessive :D looking back, i agree that the textures + lighting are maybe not so great but it felt a lot more orignal than dozens of other maps i tried in the last month or so
"Methinks it's alot harder to slip up on a review when your rating system essentially has 3 ratings, good, ok, and bad :-)" - i hope people come to read the reviews and not to wait for us to slip up
"No need to condemn them from the start" - thx
"They want to make clear that they review for mappers, not for players." - we're still getting used to this whole reviewing thing and we're still trying to figure out if we want to review for either mappers, players, or both... like i said... we're still figuring things out
"They only have ~1683 to go!" - we never said we were trying to catch you

it's nice to see people are at least talking about the site even if it isn't always nice. yeah, i guess there's a little "atittude" in some of our banners or whatever but we're not out to get anyone

why review the older maps? because we just picked some out of nowhere to begin with but now we're getting enough requests not to have to pick things out of the blue

good to see ya guys again... i'll check back in a few days

Sarah :-)

Claw
13th Nov 2001, 01:09 PM

getting though a lot of kleenex & hand cream I'll bet

I knew there was something suspicious about his avatar...

@kuma
13th Nov 2001, 01:16 PM
The only thing to compare the new site with is probably frag-facilty in it's prime, and even that was undermined by poor old Dooing being torn between his desire to give Anubis a 5 star review & trying to please his 'leet' mapper chums who thought it was a POS.

The thing is UT has -never- had a decent MPQ/lvl style review site - only community map sites (nothing wrong with that) and laughable LevelSeekish/Headshottish sites that screwed the pooch (without lube) weekly with terrible reviews.

So your site is something of a novelty :)

luquado
13th Nov 2001, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Claw

[B]Don't be so f*** positive :rolleyes:

I'm always positive about new sites.

UnrealGrrl
13th Nov 2001, 02:33 PM

The thing is UT has -never- had a decent MPQ/lvl style review site -

ok ill bite, whatsdat? :confused:

fragswill
13th Nov 2001, 02:37 PM
plutonic is pretty much the only 'high profile' mapper doing his own ting these days O_o

Heh

@kuma
13th Nov 2001, 02:52 PM
Multiplayer Quake, Warren Marshal used to run it but it changed hands and went to seed. I think peej was running it at one time but my memory isnt what it used to be.

http://www.planetquake.com/mpq/index2.htm

Lvl - you ever been to planetquake? :p

OshadowO
13th Nov 2001, 04:35 PM
They're writing good suff-and pumping out reviews @ sunspire consistently for the time being. It's a well designed site with some good stuff-I kinda like the attitude-don't take it seriously tho. Plus the people running it are really nice folks too.
Having said that I don't think it ever will replace NC-no matter how much GSI pushes it-unless they take over and start funding it but I don't think the webmasters there would want that. Besides NC is run by capable people, have a little faith in them-maybe a little competition will start NC pumping out reviews regularily again*hint*;)
anyway they call this place mother nali for a reason:)

aeternus
13th Nov 2001, 04:50 PM
SunspireCodex is a great review site and they are welcome!
NC was mainly just a database and a great forum.

jmo

Magick
13th Nov 2001, 05:17 PM
well how anyone can say its great when its been open like a week yet? have to wait and see.
reviewing a bunch of older mostly crummy maps isnt a resume :)
but they seem like they are trying to do good, so lets hope they do.
the bad attitude is prob just becuz GSI started by pimping them so hard. again have to wait and see.
websites always start off gangbusters, its what happens after awhile to see if they are any good.
right now, middle thumbs :)

UnrealGrrl
14th Nov 2001, 11:11 AM
lol... someone emailed me anonymously and asked me what i thought of the new "Caligula Map Rating System"...

took me a minute to realize wtf they were talking about...

jreister
14th Nov 2001, 11:45 AM
I like their review-style. Itīs not this classification BS. What I read up to now is pretty accurate.
DM-Obsessive was the best reviewed DM-Level of them so far.

fragswill
14th Nov 2001, 11:52 AM
"Sunspire currently have the best reviews in the community."

Nope:

http://www.somethingawful.com/cranky/maps/ut/ufotown/index.htm

BangOut
14th Nov 2001, 11:54 AM
^ ^

agreed

RedFox
14th Nov 2001, 01:36 PM
The best review is "This map is suxx!!!" or "This map is rulez!!!" ......:o

aeternus
14th Nov 2001, 05:36 PM
ā propos awesome maps...
Jeff Randall is still mapping? The site (ShockSystem) is dead since sept.11. It's the only mapper that i fully respect...

@kuma
14th Nov 2001, 06:09 PM
The rest of us will try to do better in future, sir.

I'll inform Inoxx that he must try harder

luquado
14th Nov 2001, 06:17 PM
His textures are pretty bad, too. He needs to improve.

BangOut
14th Nov 2001, 08:00 PM
That Phobos map is a load of boring, uninspired, unoriginal trash.

BangOut
14th Nov 2001, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by aeternus
ā propos awesome maps...
Jeff Randall is still mapping?

I have not heard from him recently, but i think he's around

aeternus
14th Nov 2001, 09:30 PM
The rest of us will try to do better in future, sir.

I'll inform Inoxx that he must try harder

THX

UnrealGrrl
15th Nov 2001, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by fragswill
"Sunspire currently have the best reviews in the community."

Nope:

http://www.somethingawful.com/cranky/maps/ut/ufotown/index.htm

really how can ya beat this...? (review of as-ufotown)

"FUN FACTOR: This map is a sadomasochist's wet dream." :cool:

jreister
19th Nov 2001, 05:33 AM
Thay actually downrated Mr. Fawns new map because he deleted the brushes after rebuilding. Besides we had this discussion on the board in extenso itīs ridiculuos. I personally dislike it, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the map

Hourences
19th Nov 2001, 11:45 AM
i agree, totaly unacceptable review like this, i send a nice non flaming mail too naligirl for that :)

DavidM
19th Nov 2001, 11:49 AM
the map didnt do it for me so much, but lowering the score cause of deleted brushes makes no sense.....thats c4rp

Ulukai
19th Nov 2001, 11:56 AM
the map didnt do it for me so much, but lowering the score cause of deleted brushes makes no sense.....thats c4rp

Yup, /me agrees. Technical shiznit shouldn't even come into a review unless it concerns framerate issues. The vast majority of UT players you see on the servers don't know and don't care what UED is anyway, much less whether the brushes have been deleted.

DavidM
19th Nov 2001, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by BangOut
That Phobos map is a load of boring, uninspired, unoriginal trash.

pah @ bangout
its ut's best map

aeternus
19th Nov 2001, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Ulukai

Yup, /me agrees. Technical shiznit shouldn't even come into a review unless it concerns framerate issues. The vast majority of UT players you see on the servers don't know and don't care what UED is anyway, much less whether the brushes have been deleted.

i totally agree with that

Rabid Wolf
19th Nov 2001, 02:32 PM
so they got five possible verdicts, which I suppose spread out equally:

:tdown: :tdown: = 1-20%
:tdown: = 21-40%
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/icons/icon2.gif = 41-60%
:tup: = 61-80%
:tup: :tup: = 81-100%

They gave DM-Ghostmine one thumb down.
That is idiocy. Even with some serious out-of-line feedback the average score it got here was 5.5 which would have been a very secure horizontal thumb with upward tendencies.
If you look at what the map tries to achieve, and then look at what it does achieve one can't possibly give it a thumb down.
No way.
One can't give a map like DM-Ghostmine a thumb down.
And if one does it is idiocy, nothing short of it.

Twrecks
19th Nov 2001, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
so they got five possible verdicts, which I suppose spread out equally:

:tdown: :tdown: = 1-20%
:tdown: = 21-40%
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/icons/icon2.gif = 41-60%
:tup: = 61-80%
:tup: :tup: = 81-100%

That's just an assumption.
It could be more akin to a Letter Grade, or anything the reviewer wants it to be. Leaving the whole thing basically a subjective score of "like" vs. "dislike"

BangOut
20th Nov 2001, 11:26 AM

pah @ bangout
its ut's best map

LOL... that was sarcasm... Phobos is my favorite map :P

S4r4hAtDI
20th Nov 2001, 01:11 PM
Hey everybody! I responded to all the feedback I got about ordeal:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetunreal/sunspire/topic.asp?fid=4075&tid=448426

you don't have to agree with me... that's why i have my site and you have yours :P

twrecks- it's not subjective. it's more like what wolf said

Balton
20th Nov 2001, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by S4r4hAtDI

you don't have to agree with me... that's why i have my site and you have yours :P

I went trough the forumplanet thread and I have to admit that theres a lot of BS. NMice try with SC but its like you gonna go to fight the mappers, the community like everything. If you like this little one gal war than watch and take care of not making it into an guerilia war were you get zillions of mails and you trying to reply to them all personaly....

S4r4hAtDI
20th Nov 2001, 03:00 PM
^ ^ what?

Balton
20th Nov 2001, 03:02 PM
^ ^ what?

read between the lines! and if you still dont get it than dont wonder... womens lover germans! come get some!

Balton
20th Nov 2001, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Balton.de

read between the lines! and if you still dont get it than dont wonder... womens lover germans! come get some!

jesus.... I am sitting on homework and its close to midnight dont wonder.... thats not an apology... I kinda never apologize... its just an explanation

Hourences
20th Nov 2001, 03:10 PM
if you have 10 points, and you take away 2 points of the score just for an technical detail, from wich the whole community says its good, then u got a problem......

Dai2
20th Nov 2001, 04:01 PM
I'm amazed to see that Sunspire ****ed up this soon

every review site has a Matterminator I guess..

Balton
20th Nov 2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Dai2
I'm amazed to see that Sunspire ****ed up this soon

every review site has a Matterminator I guess..

lol, they jsut got to get the right groove. the right tunes...

Twrecks
20th Nov 2001, 09:13 PM

Okay...
So if a map is like fun and has great playability but the mapper deleted brushes no smo-player would ever miss to save file size that would constitute a "bad thing" an therefore recieve a thumbs down. On the other hand if the map just was technically brillant save bot paths, again would get the tumbs down. Well, I guess any demerit would be basis for a thumbs down. In that light, I should have rated Jerramie's DM-Alcatraz a thumb down after finding over a dozen flaws, but CliffyB found the map to be worthy of "Ownage". Silly me for ending up with a 7.5, shoulda been a 4??? (by Wolf's Cumspire Cotex % rating, oops, couldn't resist the homonym).
I think Sunspire is off to a good start, and I'm happy that someone else has a review site after so many good ones fading after the fad had died. I encourage you to continue so we (NC and SC) can start toe to toe on UW.
Don't in anyway misconstrue that I think either NaliCity or myself perfect. I have my tastes in maps that don't always agree with our readers and if not in a good mood can be sufficiently harsh, and in the same vien sometimes too generous if a map appeals to my senses. I will be forever your's and SC's critic NaliGirl, welcome to "The Wonderful World of Reviewing" ;)

Claw
21st Nov 2001, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Twrecks
(...) I should have rated Jerramie's DM-Alcatraz a thumb down (...)

Definitely, yes. Given two thumbs down is reserved for maps that are crap in virtually every aspcet, like uh... DM-Warzone][?

UnrealGrrl
21st Nov 2001, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Ulukai

whoa never thought id hear ya guys go that route... (not sure if anyone is ever serious here tho :)) but im glad ya did...
if a map is a tech success thats cool, but making it break a review score if its not is kinda not cool...

i was always surprised that no mappers ever got together and did strictly technical reviews of maps...

jreister
9th Jan 2002, 04:20 AM
2-9-02
Yeah sunspire rocks!

Who is selecting the maps for the countless reviews. There are quite a few average to good maps to be reviewed, but they prefer to write about maps, you know from a short glance at the screenies thy are $hitty

No fear Nalicity-you can be closed down still a half year, this site will not make you forget

DavidM
9th Jan 2002, 08:23 AM
did anyone already mention that twrecks = retard?

Twrecks
9th Jan 2002, 11:34 AM
did anyone already mention that twrecks = retard?

Jerramie-
You forgot the mental faculty of a 14 yr old, a moron, and also a DORK!

Mister_Prophet
11th Jan 2002, 08:13 PM
"One can't give a map like DM-Ghostmine a thumb down.
And if one does it is idiocy, nothing short of it."

No rabid, what IS idiocy is a map like DM-Ghostmine getting NC hotlist.

Chrysaor
12th Jan 2002, 01:11 AM
huh? I thought his name was David? I'm confused someone shoot me

Twrecks
12th Jan 2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Mister_Prophet
[BNo rabid, what IS idiocy is a map like DM-Ghostmine getting NC hotlist. [/B]

Ya, we were scrapping the barrel that day and was meant to teach a noob reviewer a lesson. It was latter removed after it had served its purpose. I won't even mention some of my boo-boos.

Rabid Wolf
12th Jan 2002, 04:54 AM
is it an 8.5?
no, probably not. having had the map in my personal rotation for a few months now, and also having played it on nc's hotlist server a bunch of times, I guess it is something rounded up to seven.
but:
1) at a score of 7 it still would have made the hotlist, assuming there was a narrow choice of higher-rated maps.
2) I have not then seen, and I still don't now see the point in that 8-points barrier. doesn't make sense to me, and I don't care how people see it. it says in our review schema that we range from (0) 1-10. not 1 - 8, nor -3 - 7 as some seem to like it.
3) I take the liberty of squeezing in an extra half point or so for maps that at least try to be different.
4) right before posting what you quoted above was the first time I had been to Sunspire, so there prolly were some harsh feelz involved in posting that. interestingly, though, I remember very well that already two or three days later it dawned on me that sunspire does not matter, and that getting emotionally engaged over it was a waste of my time.

Hourences
12th Jan 2002, 07:39 AM
the thing people always seem too forget and misunderstead is, There is a ****ing differnce between ''being differnt'' or just suck big time

Rabid Wolf
12th Jan 2002, 08:38 AM
"being different" has nothing to do with sucking big-time.
there are things that suck big-time which are your regular assembly line product, just as there are things sucking big-time which "are different".
likewise you have maps not sucking big-time being "ye olde industrial mappe", and maps not sucking big-time being "different".
whether or not a map is "different" has no influence on whether or not it sucks big-time.

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 08:47 AM
lol @ hour

its so right
ppl usually use it as an excuse....but indeed different stuff is mostly crap

bathroom is different....scimitar is.....catherine is......
but nobody wants to play that c4rp

Evil_Cope
12th Jan 2002, 04:41 PM
lol @ hour

its so right
ppl usually use it as an excuse....but indeed different stuff is mostly crap

bathroom is different....scimitar is.....catherine is......
but nobody wants to play that c4rp

im sorry, but "different" maps, may or may not usually suck...but not because they try to be different. usually for completely different ;) reasons...
which is pretty much what rabid was trying to say. i think.

Chrysaor
17th Jan 2002, 11:04 AM
This was the 2^10+3*2^8 th view of this thread :)

LXIXGTO
17th Jan 2002, 10:03 PM
Well, I just checked out the Sunspire Codex (S C)
map reviewing syte.
I must say that I don't really care for it.
(maybe I am just used to N C)
They really should have a field for users to voice their opinions
of the map. (a feature of N C which I really like)
And that "thumbs" review thing they use is not as descriptive as
the 1-10 scale which N C uses.
I just joined the N C message boards... a whole lot of
friendly and helpful people frequent there. :)
Given what I've seen on their boards, it is doubtful if S C can
ever match that. :p
Anxiously awaiting the release of the new Nali City!!

:biorifle:

:cool:

P.S. ... I have never liked Game Spy. :p

LXIXGTO
17th Jan 2002, 10:48 PM
Well, I went to the mapping question forum over at
Sunspire Codex and was met with a blank page. :(
There are some friendly and knowledgable people who frequent the N C boards that are more than willing to answer UT mapping questions. Thanx everyone!
In my opinion, Sunspire Complex has a long, long way to go to match the following that Nali City has. :D
(and I said so there too ... :p)
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetunreal/sunspire/topic.asp?fid=4077&tid=511994
It is always great to have more options but, I think that
Nali City will always have a leg up on them.
Unless they take forever to get the new syte up.
Wait, it has seemed like forever since Nali City was in full on mode. :(
Let's hope it is up and running soon. :D

:biorifle:

:cool:

BangOut
17th Jan 2002, 11:18 PM
LX... you're beating a very dead horse.

Your post in their forums... you didn't make any point whatsoever. With the two minutes it took you to type that you could have done something productive like picked up your room or massaged your mother's corns.

Leave them alone... they can go do their thing while we do ours. We'll be active soon enough.