PDA

View Full Version : Read this.

Skorch
10th Nov 2001, 09:14 AM
Upward stares Wakim, seeing the Steel General.
"Faintly do I feel that I should have knowledge of him" says Wakim.

"Come now!" says Vramin, his eyes and cane flashing fires green. "All know of the General, who ranges alone. Out of the pages of history come the thundering hoofbeats of his warhorse Bronze. He flew with Lafayette Escadrille. He fought in the delaying action at Jarama Valley. He helped to hold Stalingrad in the dead of winter. With a handful of friends, he tried to invade Cuba. On every battleground, he has left a portion of himself. He camped out in washington when times were bad, until a greater General asked him to go away (skorch's note: the bonus army) He was beaten in Little Rock, had acid thrown in his face in Berkeley. He was put on the Attorney General's list, because he had once been a member of the I.W.W. All the causes for which he fought are now dead, but a part of him died also as each was born. and carried to it's fruition..."

you guys should read more Zelazney...

Rabid Wolf
10th Nov 2001, 09:23 AM
and you should learn how to correctly spell Him-who-kicked-Silverberg-butt...

Skorch
10th Nov 2001, 09:31 AM
This guy kicked a lotta butt...too bad he is no longer with us...

..those who were maybe better...and you may disagree..

Ray Bradbury
...and maybe Larry Niven...

...NOT Asimov and NOT Heinlein...though they were passably acceptible...

Rabid Wolf
10th Nov 2001, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Skorch
This guy kicked a lotta butt...too bad he is no longer with us...

..those who were maybe better...and you may disagree..

Ray Bradbury
...and maybe Larry Niven...

...NOT Asimov and NOT Heinlein...though they were passably acceptible...

I'm not much of an Asimov fan, either. But he's a bit like Elvis. I hate Elvis, yet chances are I like bands who were inspired by bands who in turn were inspired by Elvis. So the king has a way of "getting back on you", which is the case with Asimov as well.

With Heinlein I never got the point of his fame.

Niven is an excellent author when it comes to sheer writing skill & craft, but content-wise I never came across much of his that would have left an overly lasting impression on me.

Bradbury is God.
He is the only SF author (if one might call him that) who ever found (without looking for it) full-scale general acceptance amongst "true literature" authors.

When I was a kid I spent half of my free time in some little obscure used books store somewhat like the one featured in the neverending story. The guy who ran the store had his paperbacks sorted in four categories.
1) Horror
2) Fantasy
3) Science Fiction
4) books he wouldn't really know where to put them. Half of these books were by Ray Bradbury. Go figure. The dude is a genre by himself.

Richard Matheson was another author I'm very fond of.

Skorch
10th Nov 2001, 10:07 AM
HAH...you too?...

yes Bradbury is God...
..all the authours who gained acceptance grew up with and loved Bradbury...I love him too...The martian chronicles are poetry and writing skill and good old, down-home storytelling...he could manipulate your emotions like he was playing a harp...

...it is no wonder that Zelazney teethed on his works as well.

For me, though, Zelazney is one of the top 3, anyway...I miss him already, although Lindskold has tried to emulate his character creation and style...she worked with him, towards the end...

...sad day for me when he died...to me, Corwin died.

Skorch
10th Nov 2001, 10:09 AM
I never read Matheson..I will look for him..

Balton
10th Nov 2001, 11:00 AM
I just read one book from bradbury. some short-stories which were very amsuing. e.g. the ice-cream coloured suite! thats one good story. but i dont get the connection to sci-fi. Ray is more like writing story. sci-fi. is about scince, technology and mostly in the future. ray is sometimes writing fututre storys and blabla...

Frostblood
10th Nov 2001, 11:16 AM
Not related to sci-fi ,but Huxley is one hell of an author. Brave New World is a shockingly insightful work and The Doors of Perception + Heaven and Hell are masterful as well.

@kuma
10th Nov 2001, 11:36 AM
Niven is an excellent author when it comes to sheer writing skill & craft, but content-wise I never came across much of his that would have left an overly lasting impression on me.

Nivens recent work is both confusing and dull. Rainbow Mars was one of the most boring books I've read in years, and he should have left the Ringworld saga well alone after 'engineers'

I likes Jack Vance & Harlan Ellinson teh best. Early Niven was excellent too.

Never rated that kiddy-fiddler Clarke much, tho.