PDA

View Full Version : My map has reached BETA status. now i need some playtesters : )

Balton
9th Nov 2001, 09:41 PM
hello,
this is an 1on1 DM map. tight floors for flak action. blabla.
I found a few bufgy a few mins ago when playing online. like my 2nd elevator isnt workin with the triggers. some unaligned textures and the 2nd lifs isnt having sounds yet. but i want your opinion on this map. so please download it and let me know what you think. thank you : )

www.motaleb.de/mjl/BETA.zip

lucifix
9th Nov 2001, 10:06 PM
downloading now

Balton
9th Nov 2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by lucifix
downloading now

thx. btw rukee is running my map on his server. you can play it here

lucifix
9th Nov 2001, 10:24 PM
good: arcitecture/layout

bad: item placement/bots

wanna hear somthing funny? you can translocate onto the top of that little platform in the sky. and when youre on top of it you can see the actual square skyzone, like it appears in ued.

lucifix
9th Nov 2001, 10:25 PM
oh i forgot this, its a bit too dark in some places....

Balton
9th Nov 2001, 10:31 PM
yeah. i played that map onlinewith some more ppes. got to work on placing and lighting. even if i like it dark : )

much fun to play online.

Balton
10th Nov 2001, 01:21 PM
anyone else?

Hourences
10th Nov 2001, 01:37 PM
need more light, but the blue snow stuff with some of the other light outside is cool
to much red at places
very much small corridors, put more flaks in it :P and rippers :P
not an 1on1
some architecture parts are nice
the bots always seem to stand still by an elevator

hmm cant realy remember anything anymore :D
textures are good, flow could be a bit better, use more rooms then corridors....

but nice map, certainly your best with nice progress :)

GringoLoco
11th Nov 2001, 07:32 PM
Downloading now.

Balton
12th Nov 2001, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by GringoLoco
Downloading now.
I look forward to hear from you...

Hourences
12th Nov 2001, 12:56 PM
OMG BALTON A NEW AVATAR :D

Balton
12th Nov 2001, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Hourences
OMG BALTON A NEW AVATAR :D

yes, my old one was too good for some whimpes hereon the board...

lucifix
13th Nov 2001, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Balton.de

yes, my old one was too good for some whimpes hereon the board... i think this one sucks MORE than the other one.........

Balton
13th Nov 2001, 08:21 AM
i think this one sucks MORE than the other one.........

but he has a charismatic smirkish smile!

GringoLoco
15th Nov 2001, 05:09 PM
My DM-1on1Sarah BETA Thoughts

Architecture is pretty cool, but sometimes very low detailed.. I know you might have made low-poly for the gameplay and stuff, but, I think nowadays people can withstand a great architecture map in their PC's even if their machines are slow.. people want some eyecandy man! Now for the textures, your choice and alignment is great.. in someplaces, you would need to change some of the textures (specially that wall texture you pu in the shieldbelt room = yuck :) ) it looks kinda wierd there.. the lighting is also brigh in some places (hallways and shieldbelt areas) and NULL in others (elevator rooms and the place near the mingun area). Also, I thik you should put an elevator in the outside area (it kinda pisses me off running through the hallway, towards the elevator just to get to the second floor :o )

also about the bots, the bots totally suck, but since its a beta, I can forgive you that.. the map is very large, and I think the map should be suited for 4 players.. i roamed around the map quite a while until i found the bot.. so, i think you should make the idealplayer count to "2-4" .. oh, one thing that annoyed me about the map are the abundant lightboxes.. there are TOO many!.. i think you should replace those with more detailed hallways.. and if you put some of them, make them far between.. 4 lightboxes in a row and at eyeheight severally slowed my PC down (witch is a 400mhz celeron, I know it sucks, but UTīs playable in it).

Now the skybox, it looks good, but I think you should make it cooler, like add a a bright sun in there.. or probably why dont you add some snow? that would be great!

well, those are my thoughts.. hope you find them useful. :)

GriNGoLoCo

Balton
16th Nov 2001, 08:46 AM
thank you for the feedback. I already hav an newer version out with pathnodes, some changed textures(re-aligned a few parts).
I dont think that I am going to detail the hallways more(or i will get catched in the ITL).

I dont have an idea where to put an other lift in... maybe i have an idea but i dont want to tell yet : )

I'll rethink the lightboxes....

thank you and I am now going to upload the next beta...

Balton
16th Nov 2001, 08:58 AM
www.motaleb.de/mjl/BETA23.zip

GringoLoco
17th Nov 2001, 01:30 PM
Downloading now.. i hope there are some improvements :)

lucifix
17th Nov 2001, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Balton.de

but he has a charismatic smirkish smile! i thought it looked like harry potter on crack :lol:

Balton
17th Nov 2001, 05:31 PM
I am already at beta 24

www.motaleb.de/mjl/BETA24.zip

I think some tweaks and than i'll release it

lucifix
17th Nov 2001, 07:47 PM
its good, but i still think its a little too dark in some places and i think you used too many weapons/ammo..........

Balton
17th Nov 2001, 09:53 PM
its good, but i still think its a little too dark in some places and i think you used too many weapons/ammo..........

too much???
I get out of ammo quick... : / lemme look that up. this is going top be my latest betas. I want to get finished someday you must know...

@kuma
18th Nov 2001, 12:53 PM
not half bad for a first map

@kuma
18th Nov 2001, 12:58 PM
the lamest thing you can put in a map, the 'loose floor tile'

never do this

@kuma
18th Nov 2001, 12:59 PM
TOO MUCH RED

is your name DavidM? No? Then don't use red lights like that.

@kuma
18th Nov 2001, 01:00 PM
cliches aside the corridors are too narrow to move around in and the connectivity is pretty bad

lighting is washed out

textures are ok

still good for a first ever map :)

Balton
18th Nov 2001, 01:09 PM
thank you. Next map I'll do it better : )
Since I've learned much stuff while making this map.
Its my 4th map now. but I never spend much time on my maps before. s this is my 1st serious attempt at a map...