PDA

View Full Version : Did I get this right?

Da_Wookie|BuF
9th Nov 2001, 08:59 AM
Is UW going to be a MMO-game? And oh, where can I find info about UW? Is there any site?

Tetris L
9th Nov 2001, 12:05 PM
There is no site yet. Nothing is official about the game by now, except the title.

No comment by Epic yet about MMO. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make Akuma blab out the answer, but that bastard refuses to make a comment. ;)

Until the answer is official, this thread (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87673) might give you a bit better idea about the situation.

Da_Wookie|BuF
9th Nov 2001, 12:40 PM
Ok, got it. Thanks anyway Tetris.

Barcode#09123111
9th Nov 2001, 06:58 PM
YES U DID MY SON <--DISREGARD

J. Speed
25th Nov 2001, 04:29 PM
Maybe Akuma can tell you if you promise not to disclose any info. All that you have to say to us is [you wont be dissappointed] or give us a hint of some kind.

BTW that screen shot you posted of a soldier reminds me too much of a modern day soldier. I hope they are not doing a modern day warfare game. I doubt it- but that would be a real bummer.

I also dont understand why EPIC is being so tight lipped about the game because just about every kind of conceivable online game is coming out in 2002 and beyond. The only reasoning I see is maybe they are waiting to hit a major milestone or they feel its too early because the game is not slated for release for quite some time.

Tetris L
25th Nov 2001, 05:24 PM
It's simply too early to talk about the game, and Epic know that. *cough* Duke Nukem Forever *cough*

Expect the first 'real' info and the first screenies at E3 2002. :)

J. Speed
25th Nov 2001, 05:28 PM
Well I figured E3 also. If not E3 then ???

Dai2
25th Nov 2001, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by J. Speed
Maybe Akuma can tell you if you promise not to disclose any info.

:rolleyes:

Geff
26th Nov 2001, 01:14 AM
I am sure the game wont look modern, I hope? umm moving on there is no need to worry coz in the end u can always keeps playin U2.

J. Speed
26th Nov 2001, 06:05 PM
True Geff on U2. U2 and poss UC should hold me until Epic comes out with the followup.
Also.. how much sense would it make to do a followup to UT and digress to modern day weapons.

Dai2
26th Nov 2001, 08:44 PM
it's not really a follow up...

J. Speed
26th Nov 2001, 10:17 PM
What makes you think UW or whatever the title will be called is not a follow up or a continuation of UT?

hal
27th Nov 2001, 12:05 AM
It very well may be... but seeing the direction that Epic is taking the Unreal Engine (deformable terrain, etc.), and the current direction that online gaming is taking, it seems like the most logical path.

Tetris L
27th Nov 2001, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by hal
seeing the direction that Epic is taking the Unreal Engine (deformable terrain, etc.),
Where did they say that? The last I heard was: No GeoMod in Unreal.

fragswill
27th Nov 2001, 01:59 AM
Seriously, only an idiot would make a follow-up on UT.

It's probably gonna take place in the Unreal universe and that's it.

Dai2
27th Nov 2001, 05:32 AM
it's Epic's next game, not Epic's next unreal tournament ... or something.

Ulukai
27th Nov 2001, 10:02 AM
It's a minefield rife with mostly baseless rumour is what it is. And no-one who has signed an NDA will tell you dick, unless they want their ass sued

Dai2
27th Nov 2001, 10:14 AM
well, yeah... :rolleyes:

Dai2
27th Nov 2001, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by hal
(deformable terrain, etc)

eh?

Syri
27th Nov 2001, 11:50 AM
i think we should wait for more info until we start to speculate

fragswill
27th Nov 2001, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by [RSU]D-Stroya
i think we should wait for more info until we start to speculate

Why?
Speculating is no fun when you have all the info.

I think UW will have 100% organic weapons, and an expensive battle outfit, the bunny suit, with many upgrade options.

UW wont be an MMO game in the traditional sense, but a turn based MMOFPS. It's to me the logical next step in the genre.

Dai2
27th Nov 2001, 04:13 PM
it's a MMO hentai game

this is fact

hal
27th Nov 2001, 04:22 PM
Yeah, we have to be clear here... all of the stuff we're talking about is based on pure speculation.

To clear up my comment on deformable terrain, I probably mis-spoke. I just mean that with all of the attention to beefing up Unreal's terrain editing, it looks like wherever they are headed is sure to include the feature... and MMO or higher player-count fps games like Tribes need lots of space. :)

kemuri
27th Nov 2001, 04:26 PM
warfare will be an extention of the multyplayer side of U2

Šork
27th Nov 2001, 04:35 PM
Anyone who makes a "follow-up" which gets bought by everyone who bought UT can afford to be an idiot.

Dai2
27th Nov 2001, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by kemuri
warfare will be an extention of the multyplayer side of U2

so it's like an add-on for U2 then? :rolleyes:

J. Speed
27th Nov 2001, 06:01 PM
Well Fragswill if its idiot you say- then they are smart idiots because I would do the same thing-make a followup to UT.

One thing Im certain on Fragswill- UW sure as hell will not be turned based-you can forget that notion.

Its not an extension of U2? Yes and No. Depends on what you mean by extension and how you look at it.

Also folks if you happened to catch the first article from PC Gamer on U2 way back...there was a small section that mentioned that Epic is doing a followup to UT. A quote from the magazine.

Another thing -whatever Epic is doing wont be small potatoes.
Why would they purchase an in house motion capture camera. Thats BIG STUFF!!!

Not only that... w/ the inclusion of Karma to the engine..the ability to add/place objects in the game during development spells BIG STUFF!!! also.

All we can do is speculate because we haven't heard it from the horses mouth only outside sources. PC Gamer is a decent source though.

kemuri
27th Nov 2001, 06:57 PM
i'm GUESSING it probably will but i dont know. it might just be a more bada$$ version of UT.

@kuma
27th Nov 2001, 07:26 PM
that... w/ the inclusion of Karma to the engine

That's Bad-Kama actually - the engine now comes with star wars maps with ugly brushwork.

Last I heard it the words "Pokemon licence" were on everyones lips (but don't let that get outside this fourm)

J. Speed
27th Nov 2001, 07:46 PM
Poke Mon license??? What??

kemuri
27th Nov 2001, 10:12 PM
we go from U2 to Pokemon. this is sad.

hal
27th Nov 2001, 11:28 PM
:lol:

J. Speed
27th Nov 2001, 11:38 PM
Yeah right. Dont believe that nonsense.

fragswill
28th Nov 2001, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by J. Speed
Well Fragswill if its idiot you say- then they are smart idiots because I would do the same thing-make a followup to UT.

A real follow up or an "Unreal2-follow up" ? UT doesn't have any story or concept worth improving. If they just place the game in the Unreal universe and nothing else, they will get away with calling it UT2. It would be stupid of them to make an actual follow up.

One thing Im certain on Fragswill- UW sure as hell will not be turned based-you can forget that notion.

Really?! DAMN! Where did you get this info?

fragswill
28th Nov 2001, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by @kuma
That's Bad-Kama actually - the engine now comes with star wars maps with ugly brushwork.

UnrealEd also has a new feature, the lawyer-lofter, for increased artistic integrity.

J. Speed
28th Nov 2001, 07:02 AM
Where did you get the idea it would be turned based?

Dai2
28th Nov 2001, 09:09 AM
it's not so hard to figure out once you look at all the facts

Ulukai
28th Nov 2001, 11:02 AM
To go off at a slight tangent, anyone know what became of the Bad Karma/Lucas Arts fiasco?

He still seems to be churning those SW maps out

Tetris L
28th Nov 2001, 11:53 AM
Hey Ulukai, Happy Birthday!

I think Karma eventually got a letter from LukasArt's lawyers saying that they only wanted to scare him (or simular) and that they wouldn't really sue him.

Snarf
30th Nov 2001, 01:02 PM
Uh...why the hell would they want to do that?! :rolleyes: