Halflife-like features

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ex-cenTrick

Nov 8, 2001
Minnesota
www.liquidorigami.com
i can't believe noone has made a mod for halflife weapons, or am i wrong in believing that? i think it had a really good (and large) selection of weapons. also, i think somebody should create a mutator for display when you are damaged on the screen and from where the shot came. that was a feature that was in halflife and red faction that i completely enjoyed (although i definitely enjoyed halflife more than red faction).

if either of these have been created and i just haven't found them, please, i beg of you, tell me where i can get my hands on them. thanks. that is all.

arcanex

teh grinning totem
Sep 28, 2001
Hmm....actually, (I'm probably wrong but oh well) unless you blatantly rip-off 100% textures and code and models and sounds and not include any of your original content and then call it Half-Life, you aren't exactly breaking any laws either. Just look: just because Doom had a chaingun didn't prevent other games from adding a minigun, did it? General, nonspecific ideas are something copyright laws don't protect; just because Apple had the first GUI OS didn't mean Microsoft couldn't make their own.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by arcanex
[B....Just look: just because Doom had a chaingun didn't prevent other games from adding a minigun, did it? General, nonspecific ideas are something copyright laws don't protect; just because Apple had the first GUI OS didn't mean Microsoft couldn't make their own. [/B]

I think you're mostly right - although bad example at the end. Apple did sue Microsoft over Windows, and likely would have won, but someone dug up a technical agreement Apple had made with MS which essentially made the case moot.

Intellectual Property is weird...if you wanted to remake the weapons, for instance, you'd probably be OK as long as you didn't like use the mdl's from your Half-Life CD. But if you started running Gordon Freeman around Assault maps, you might be in for trouble no matter how it started...

rgx:minigun: