Questions and constructive criticism

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fields

Nov 5, 2001
Visit site
I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I think that overall, the mod is great. The models look fantastic, the options are nice, and it's really obvious that a lot of hard work has gone into the design of the mod.

I did see a few things that I thought were minor issues though, and I thought I'd address them. I'm not looking for a fight or trying to attack, these are just some things I saw that made me enjoy the mod less than I thought I could. And maybe, there are ways to fix some of these from the console that I don't know about. If so, would anyone mind filling me in?

First thing I saw that I wasn't fond of was how the player character moves. He feels like he moves painfully slow at times, even when jogging. I try to avoid running, because I keep watching the stamina bar and also because he can't exactly stop on a dime when charging down the corridors. I know some people probably think they move the right speed and others might think they move too fast, so I was wondering if it would be possible for each person/server to adjust walking and running speed? Like I said, there may be a console option for this that I'm not aware of.

Relating to walking, the weapons bob and weave a lot when you're walking. Is it possible to make it so you can turn that on and off, or maybe reduce the severity of the motion? Combining that with the foot speed I mentioned, and I tend only to move when I REALLY want to because it takes so long to get there, and after a while, I start to feel a little sea sick.

Also, as far as moving goes, shifting positions (standing, kneeling, prone) takes a long time as well. I can understand why going to/from a prone position could take a while, but I'd think kneeling could be done fairly quicklky IRL. Is the speed regulated by choice, or is it moving as fast as it can already? And from what I could tell from the times I've played, it's difficult or impossible to shoot while moving between positions. Is this true, or was it a glitch on my system? If it's true, then why? Is it not possible to change positions and shoot (even if it's hasty and the aim is off) at the same time? What about adding an option to dive to the floor to get to prone? Could that be added with a double tap of the prone button, mayhaps?

Another thing that I found somewhat aggrivating is that when you raise certain weapons up to aim, it becomes difficult to see what you're aiming at. I admit that I haven't handled many real weapons, but is it really that difficult to see your target when you've got a gun aimed at it? I've opted to use a mutator file that allows you to use a laser site on all weapons for the most part, rather than use the sights provided on most of the weapons.

As far as the really minor things to mention, the weapon fire select lever always goes back to fully automatic whenever you respawn. Would it be possible to have the game leave that option alone when you pop back in? Perhaps the same for movement rate. It becomes tiresome to have to change it every time you die.

Is there any way to regulate weapon damage? I know you're going for realism, but when you respawn and another character caps you before you have a chance to twitch, let alone get your bearings, it's enough to make me consider reaching for the quit menu. And besides that, the bots' accuracy is rather high, and they like to hide in places one doesn't normally look. Round the corner and "pop" dead solider. True to life, perhaps, but I believe that having damage so set can reduce the fun of the mod. I believe that by making the damage level reduced, it would be more fun for casual players and newbies.

How random are the respawning points? Quite frequently, I find myself popping back in the same place again and again (usually easy to determine by the pile of corpses and equipment only 5 feet away). This is especially irritating when a bot is camping right at the spawn point. Twitch, "pop", respawn. Twitch, "pop", respawn... Kind of grates on the nerves a little.

I think overall, I'd just like to see things more easily customizable. Overall, I like the mod, but sometimes it's frustrating when you get killed almost instantly every time.

One last thing, not relating to game play, but to menu setup, and I'll leave in peace. Some of the drop down menus in the main screen fall off the edge of what is visible. For instance, the cammo selection screen and the weapon handout menus. Not too big a problem since you can still see them, but I thought I'd mention them at least.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
you allready answered most of em were going for realism here, that means that movement will be even slower since it's just too fast compared to reality ATM.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
"What about adding an option to dive to the floor to get to prone? Could that be added with a double tap of the prone button, mayhaps?"

Try doubletapping your move forward key. Dodging must be enabled for this.

DooMfreak

Feb 16, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Forget what you know about other realism mods. Infiltration has it's own unique way of playing, and it takes a bit of practice to get all the basics under your belt.

I Would just like to reply to a few of the points you made:

it's difficult or impossible to shoot while moving between positions.
Yes it is.
I know you're going for realism, but when you respawn and another character caps you before you have a chance to twitch,
How random are the respawning points? Quite frequently, I find myself popping back in the same place again and again (usually easy to determine by the pile of corpses and equipment only 5 feet away).
What gamemode are you playing? Try Team Deathmatch, that seems to be the only functional gamemode right now.
Another thing that I found somewhat aggrivating is that when you raise certain weapons up to aim, it becomes difficult to see what you're aiming at.
Again, it takes some practice.
And besides that, the bots' accuracy is rather high, and they like to hide in places one doesn't normally look. Round the corner and "pop" dead solider.
The bots most definately need work, they are hardly playable offline.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Originally posted by Fields
He feels like he moves painfully slow at times, even when jogging.
Welcome IRL.
it's difficult or impossible to shoot while moving between positions. Is this true, or was it a glitch on my system? If it's true, then why?
Because you're not ready to fire.
Another thing that I found somewhat aggrivating is that when you raise certain weapons up to aim, it becomes difficult to see what you're aiming at.
The problem is the distance between the weapon and the player eye. The UT engine tend to distord models.

How random are the respawning points? Quite frequently, I find myself popping back in the same place again and again (usually easy to determine by the pile of corpses and equipment only 5 feet away).
Best solution: 1 life like everyone guy ;)

I think overall, I'd just like to see things more easily customizable
/Me wants to customize is life too :D

Most of your question can be answered by : Realism as a goal.
And you will find some interessting information in the Warren's Update.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
heh...I almost thought, 'Troll' but you made some very valid and good points with the weapon selection thing too. Just get used to the gamestyle...it's really different. As far as gamemodes, DM, IS the only one that works. :(

So, welocome to the boards!

Fields

Nov 5, 2001
Visit site
Thanks for the replies

I appreciate you all taking the time to look at and respond to my post. It helped to clear a few things up. Thanks for explaining the model distortion DarkBls. That makes sense. And I'm glad that other people find the bots to be difficult to play against.

As for the whole speed thing, I still think it's sluggish and the bobbing is a bit much, but I'll just deal with it.

To answer the question about which game type I was playing, it was Team DM and Tournament DM (which is probably wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had).

Two questions though, before I leave. Maybe someone would be nice enough to help me out.

First, is there a list of the default weapons & equipment handouts anywhere for the game? I accidentally deleted over the one for the MP5.

Second, how do the Inf mutators work? Is it only in the Inf mod, or do they work in regular UT? The pop ups say add the Inf Lite first, then one of the other Inf mutators. Does it matter?

Thanks all. Like I said the first time, I'm not trying to whine or be a pain, I just wanted to voice my thoughts.

JamesT

sniper apprentice
Jun 25, 2001
Taiwan
inf.dearhoney.idv.tw
Re: Thanks for the replies

Originally posted by Fields
is there a list of the default weapons & equipment handouts anywhere for the game? I accidentally deleted over the one for the MP5.
This one I can answer. Make up YOUR OWN loadout. Those "default" ones are only examples, not what you have to use. Even some of them are not good examples, such as that RC50+MP5 loadout.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
i think a slider for running speed would be great! assaulters would lower the speed to safe stamina, and snipers would increase it to be capable of getting the hell out of the area when confronted in cqb, of course draining stamina..... respond plz :)

welcome to INF fields, remember: "war isnt about who is right, but about who are left" when u play INF! staying alive and if possible helping out teammates is ur first priority! killing is ur second

May 22, 2000
Amsterdamned
resolute.gamepoint.net
About your own loadouts. Make them as realistic as possible...Say, M16 with scope and a sidarme or something...
Never let you bulk get over the 32, as it's the most realistic that way.
And the running/bobbing thing is something that will be tweaked in future releases, so check it out in the following release (2.87)Welcome aboard by the way!