New UT version 4.02 - Graphics nightmares help!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SMERSH

Dec 6, 1999
Visit site
Ok, there's the well known nightmares pple had with Unreal when they did not
have 3dfx cards.

Well, I HAVE and am using a 3dfx card - the voodoo2.
It was working *flawlessly* with UT version 4.00 (the release version),
still using my old voodoo2 drivers from about oh 5 months ago (Diamond
monster 3d 2).

Then I install the new UT patch version 4.02, and now the graphics in the
game , the colours are totally wierd and it's as if the whole picture is in
8 bit instead of 16 bits of colour....

I've double and tripple checked that I've selected "3dfx windows" for my
graphics setting and selected the basic 640X480 in 16 bit graphics.

I got the latest 3dfx Diamond Monster 3d 2 drivers from the Diamond website www.diamondmm.com and the problem still exists.

Help, I've done everything I'm supposed to do - I'm using a 3dfx glide card
(voodoo2) with latest drivers and STILL UT is giving headaches???!!!
Everything was ok b/4 the new 4.02 patch.

Anyone help me out? Btw, I'm not a computer newbie either, I'm more or less
a "computer geek" so I'm not making some stupid mistake like not using
latest drivers, not shutting down everything b/4 running UT etc.

System specs: PII 300mhz, 128meg ram, voodoo2 12 megs with latest diamond
monster 3d 2 drivers (Aug 28, 99), Directx 7 installed, 2gig hdd space free,
8mg AGP i740 2d card, SB Live! value.

Riggs

Nov 28, 1999
Topeka,KS,USA
Visit site
Have you tried the recently released Voodoo2 directX 7 Beta drivers from 3Dfx?
that's what Iv'e been using for my Obsidian2 X-24(V2SLI) with no problems.

[This message has been edited by Riggs (edited 12-09-1999).]

SMERSH

Dec 6, 1999
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I've tried the new 3dfx.com reference drivers and reinstalled directx 7, repeated this procedure, double and tripple checked everything

Nope, still the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

SMERSH

Dec 6, 1999
Visit site
Yep, I'm running UT in "3dfx glide for windows" , cuz I know I read somewhere Epic strongly recommends to use glide for any 3dfx cards in Unreal/ UT.

And I've seen many pple complain of bugs in direct3d when using Unreal/ UT, so I've avoided using direct 3d like the plague for UT.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
If I was having your problems, I would do a complete uninstall of my video card drivers, as outlined next in an old post I keep handy:

Check device manager and see if all your hardware is properly set up with no conflicts (no yellow exclamation points on anything). Run dxdiag from the program files/directx/setup folder. Run through all the tests and see if it comes up with anything.

You may have a video driver corruption or conflict with old versions of drivers for your current video card. If this is the case you'll need to do the "BIG" uninstall of your video card. What I mean is to completely remove all the relevant driver files from your Windows/system and start fresh.

Have the latest version of the voodoo and i740 drivers all extracted and ready for installation in folders you can remember.

Empty your recycle bin first so that you can easily restore (if neccessary) any files that you are going to be deleting.

Check in your windows/inf/other folder for a file pertaining to your video cards (it should be self evident). Open this file in notepad and write down the names/locations of the files that it says it has installed in your computer. Next, delete this .inf file to prevent windows from automatically reinstalling your card. Delete any duplicate or outdated or incorrect .inf files from old installations. Then, delete what files you can from the list that you made (they should be located in the windows/system folder). Some of them may be in use and can be removed later in safe mode. Watch for other filenames in windows/system that seem to be very similar in name to the files you are deleting but that are not on your list. These may be moved to another temporary folder to be deleted later (with caution as they may pertain to some other device). Go to device manager and remove your display adapter. Reboot into windows safe mode and delete the rest of the files that were in use before that you couldn't delete.
Then reboot in normal mode and reinstall your video card. Point windows to the folder that you had the latest driver files saved in when it asks for a disk. Since the voodoo drivers come with their own setup program, it would be safe to run that again, too, after your machine is up and running, in case it needs to do some more registry changes.
You may want to do all of the above procedures with both your i740 and V2.