The Middle Of Nowhere V0.40

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
My 1st public beta map. Crit, but be kind please...

edit: dammit... didn't upload right

[***EDIT***] new beta released, get 'er here

Last edited:

McMuffin

Jul 30, 2000
OR
a shot

{in hidsight I probably should have stuck to the base Inf. 286 textures...}

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
played it

This seems to be the type of map that every wants. Always somebody asking for more wide open outdoor maps. This is a nice outdoor map. I like the lighting. Doesn't seem to be any bot pathing, because they just sat around the spawn points. I was too lazy to open her up the in UED, so I wasn't for sure. I hope you used blockalls for the hummers, because I guess invisable collision hulls cause the hummers to become invisable for online use(aztecalite). Besides that, I don't have anything to really say about it.
Jaymian

McMuffin

Jul 30, 2000
OR
Doesn't seem to be any bot pathing, because they just sat around the spawn points

There's bot pathing... and they've got plenty of little blue paths everywhere. I have no idea why they sit around.

They ran around some for me, but I used the bot editor on mine...

I hope you used blockalls for the hummers, because I guess invisable collision hulls cause the hummers to become invisable for online use(aztecalite)

Didn't know that... I'll change it at some point. Thanks.

My main question is, what to add next? I'm fresh out of ideas.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Nice!

Took a quick spin in it, the map is looking good, you got the morning lighting down cold... You learn well grasshoppa! ;)

The main criticism I'd give at this point is your polycounts at some spots. But given the sheer openness of the map, it's going to be very hard to keep that from happening. Maybe edit the terrain to add another large peak or something, to reduce the size of the wide-open spaces, or maybe hide more of the structures you have behind hills & stuff, since that's what's causing the 400+ polys I'm seeing in the more panoramic views.

Another thing I'd do is scale up the terrain texture by another factor of 2. It would still look ok up close I think, and would reduce alot of the repetitive tiling pattern you see now.

As for what more to add at this point, I think more of those cool terrain "peaks" you have on that mountain would be nice. Maybe do a lower-poly version of them & add a bunch around the map, especially to hide the more high-poly structures you have. Give them the same morning sun spotlight effects, and the map will rock even more than it does now... :cool:

JamesT

sniper apprentice
Jun 25, 2001
Taiwan
inf.dearhoney.idv.tw
I have found a bug in this map.

That's the location names. The directions are not right ( if the INFCompass is right ).

For example, the tower, it is labeled as "Southwest tower" but in fact it is located at the southeast of the map.

Captain Pathetico's INF_Compass and Olethros' INF_Movement_Locator give the same direction guiding results. So I assume they are correct.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
it's all about relativity, dude... (sorry, just came out of an astronomy class where the prof spent a good deal of the 2.5 hours talking about einstein and his specific and general relativity theories... :p)
i believe the two muties use the 0,0 coordinate as northwest, relative to the player... mebbe mcmuffin could update his locationids to use that system...

McMuffin

Jul 30, 2000
OR
The map occurs at dawn, so assuming this is the planet Earth the tower is in the Southwest of the combat zone :p If I change the LocationID's they will no longer be true to life.

I know the poly counts are high... :( They're actually about 1/2 what they were at one point :D I'll try some of those things to bring it down further.

I didn't like the way the terrain tex looked scaled up. Maybe I'll find a new one that tiles better.

I think I'm going to reduce it's need for custom textures (smaller download)...

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
well, that's actually easily remedied... turn bdirectional to true for the skybox actor, then rotate it... then you can go ahead and change the locationids... :)
i love this map, but people are right, the bots don't do squat most of the time... although i had a couple of times where they managed to flank me... :tup:

McMuffin

Jul 30, 2000
OR
Don't think that will quite work. James said:

For example, the tower, it is labeled as "Southwest tower" but in fact it is located at the southeast of the map.

So if I change it, then South will be wrong.

Do try the bot editor, and not just for my map... you can really get em to do better by messing around with their settings. I'll re[re-re]do the bot pathing if they really aren't getting anywhere though...

I've done a little bit more on it today. I managed to bring the poly counts down a bit in a few trouble spots. I also narrowed the tower windows to slits so you can only see a max of ~310 poly through them.

Should I add a window facing the ruins? Move the camp machine gun into the ruins?

I think I need a break from this map for a while; when I walk into my living room I think :eek: My god! the polycount! :eek:

JamesT

sniper apprentice
Jun 25, 2001
Taiwan
inf.dearhoney.idv.tw
McMuffin, about the direction, you don't have to change the location IDs! You can rotate the whole map including the skybox 90 degrees clockwise, and it's done! ;)

And I think opening a window facing the ruin for the tower is a good idea.

Adding more tall grass would be great, too.

I love this map.

McMuffin

Jul 30, 2000
OR
ok I see what you're saying... but I still don't want to do it cuz it'll throw me off too much ;)

more grass=more polys unfortunately... I'll see if I can do it in a way that doesn't slow it down much.

I want to add sounds so that the grass rustles when you move around. I read a tutorial on it but it left me just as clueless as before. Could someone explain how? (in small words even a cretin like me can understand :D )

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
You can use a simple "SpecialEvent" actor (found in the triggers) setup to get a sound to play when a player moves through a spot. Just put a trigger there, give it the radius you want/need, then have it trigger a SpecialEvent actor (using the Events settings, I assume you're familiar w/ the process). Under the "SpecialEvent" settings of that actor add the rustling sound you want to the "sound" parameter. Then give it an "Initial" state (that parameter you find in the "Object" settings) of "PlaySound" (or something to that effect, not the other 2 which specify ambient sound or player ambient sound).

Hope that was clear enough to follow. Hard to get it precise enough w/o starting up UED for reference, a pain in the ass when you have a system like mine. :D