PDA

View Full Version : The New U


QUALTHWAR
4th Nov 2001, 09:51 AM
Will the NEW U live up to our expectations?

We've all waited so long for it, and it looks we'll be waiting even longer. So when it finally does come out, will the game live up to our anticipated, high expectations? What is it you hope to see in the new game? Will naked women and flying cars be enough, or do we need control over space and time to be satisfied.

Cactus
4th Nov 2001, 11:57 AM
our expectations grow exponentially to the time of wait. so by the time it comes out, we'd want it to at least be able to get us laid.

Cactus
4th Nov 2001, 11:58 AM
and 3 magical fcking wishes.

Rabid Wolf
4th Nov 2001, 12:06 PM
they better adjust the shock rifle and the trans-locator.
and they hopefully include at least as many new types of creatures as updated versions of old ones.
and the new editor should be cleansed of any adjustable settings that have no effect anyway other than misleading map-makers. there should also be more things possible without scripting as there are now.

diddlysquat
4th Nov 2001, 02:02 PM
It should be all we can hope for,
and give us all we could care.
To fufill the wishes of every one,
it should have more spam than air.

Balton
4th Nov 2001, 02:11 PM
i am sure its going to be an big event for all SP lovers. how it will end in MP will be up to all mappers i think :)

Deathwing
4th Nov 2001, 02:34 PM
I don't really give a **** what they do with certain weapons or anything. I just want an immersive, highly entertaining singleplayer experience that lives up to the original's.

Balton
4th Nov 2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Deathwing
I don't really give a **** what they do with certain weapons or anything. I just want an immersive, highly entertaining singleplayer experience that lives up to the original's.

well, i hope they will put in some new weapons! that was the cool thing in u1. they had som,e guns that were from its design new. and the effects of the weapons were kick-ass too

QUALTHWAR
4th Nov 2001, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
they better adjust the shock rifle and the trans-locator.
and they hopefully include at least as many new types of creatures as updated versions of old ones.
and the new editor should be cleansed of any adjustable settings that have no effect anyway other than misleading map-makers. there should also be more things possible without scripting as there are now.

Okay, good! So why do you want to see the shock and trans adjusted?

Claw
4th Nov 2001, 05:34 PM
No need for pointless discussions... Mike Vedu can't keep his mouth shut it seems, tons of interviews lookie (http://www.unreality.org/news/news_small.asp?Number=4154)

See? No ****ing shockrifle at all :p But I love the Takkra already ;)
And we've all seen the flamethrower, eh? :D

Mxtrmntr
4th Nov 2001, 05:36 PM
I hope the atmosphere will be as great as U1's. There are SP games that have better (and especially more original) gameplay and a better story IMO, but it was just great to visit this planet with its valleys, villages, castles and temples. Somehow it gave you the impression of a "real", existing world. You didn't run through some nameless corridors or facilities, you travelled through Bluff Eversmoking or the Sunspire; you didn't visit some dubious Alien world with stupid caves with Aliens that hide in corners but you got to know places like Na Pali Haven where you could imagine what kind of culture could exist there. At least, that was what I liked most about U1.

Of course, U2 doesn't have to copy all this (and it won't do that - you aren't alone any more or trying to escape from a planet), but I hope it will provide a great feeling while you play it, not just some stupid "I am a highly skilled warrior trained to kill nasty aliens that run around some stupid planet and kill human beings"-game. If you look at the Screenshots, the engine should be able to give us some great SP experience (hmm, OK, we all knew that); also it is said that we'll be able to visit many different locations, there will be different Skaarj clans and stuff like that, and also - it's developed by Legend, and I liked WoT for similar reasons.

So, what I wanted to say is: I hope U2 will be a "soulful" SP game.

Claw
4th Nov 2001, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Mxtrmntr
I hope the atmosphere will be as great as U1's. There are SP games that have better (and especially more original) gameplay and a better story IMO, but it was just great to visit this planet with its valleys, villages, castles and temples. Somehow it gave you the impression of a "real", existing world. You didn't run through some nameless corridors or facilities, you travelled through Bluff Eversmoking or the Sunspire; you didn't visit some dubious Alien world with stupid caves with Aliens that hide in corners but you got to know places like Na Pali Haven where you could imagine what kind of culture could exist there. At least, that was what I liked most about U1.

Of course, U2 doesn't have to copy all this, but I hope it will provide a great feeling while you play it, not just some stupid "I am a highly skilled warrior trained to kill nasty aliens that run around some stupid planet and kill human beings"-game. If you look at the Screenshots, the engine should be able to give us some great SP experience (hmm, OK, we all knew that); also it is said that we'll be able to visit many different locations, there will be different Skaarj clans and stuff like that, and also - it's developed by Legend, and I liked WoT for similar reasons.

Sounds great! Yaknow, I really loved Outcast also. ;)

Mxtrmntr
4th Nov 2001, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Claw

Sounds great! Yaknow, I really loved Outcast also. ;)

Hmm...time to get Outcast...it always sounded a bit like the kind of game I'd really like to play, but somehow I never played it.

Claw
4th Nov 2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Mxtrmntr


Hmm...time to get Outcast...it always sounded a bit like the kind of game I'd really like to play, but somehow I never played it.

It is amazing. Never seen a game like it. The way you're not stalking dungeons full of monsters but wandering an inhabited world... love it.
I'd really love to see more games of that kind.

Mxtrmntr
4th Nov 2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Claw


It is amazing. Never seen a game like it. The way you're not stalking dungeons full of monsters but wandering an inhabited world... love it.
I'd really love to see more games of that kind.

That's one reason why I liked Deus Ex that much. It was just great to walk around the market and the night club in Hongkong or to visit a bar in NY...

QUALTHWAR
4th Nov 2001, 06:33 PM
What I was wondering about was the background. I think when they were first showing screenshots, they were saying that the backgrounds were made by Bryce, or a similar program. So Iím wondering if we map if we need to buy Bryce? I suppose we can download ready-made backgrounds, but the 1337 mappers will make their own.

Ulukai
5th Nov 2001, 09:16 AM
They give away old versions of Bryce free with PC mags these days, and anyone with cable never need buy software if they use a bit of brainpower :)

QUALTHWAR
5th Nov 2001, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Ulukai
a bit of brainpower :)

Damn it!! That leaves me out.

Balton
5th Nov 2001, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Ulukai
They give away old versions of Bryce free with PC mags these days, and anyone with cable never need buy software if they use a bit of brainpower :)

and i tried to avoid this! ... ;)

Rukee
5th Nov 2001, 09:24 AM
Releice date of spring of 2002???
I can`t wait that long!!!!:rolleyes:

QUALTHWAR
5th Nov 2001, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Rukee
Releice date of spring of 2002???
I can`t wait that long!!!!:rolleyes:

With huge student loans to pay back, Iíll have the money for a new PC to run the game about then.

Ulukai
5th Nov 2001, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Rukee
Releice date of spring of 2002???
I can`t wait that long!!!!:rolleyes:

Of couse you can. You don't have a choice.

Balton
5th Nov 2001, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Ulukai


Of couse you can. You don't have a choice.

true true....

AMmayhem
5th Nov 2001, 09:33 AM
No expectations no disappointments.

Ulukai
5th Nov 2001, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by AMmayhem
No expectations no disappointments.


Ooo! A new song by Radiohead :p

Balton
5th Nov 2001, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Ulukai



Ooo! A new song by Radiohead :p

there is no such song from radiohead. as far as i found out yet... the title may fit....

Mxtrmntr
5th Nov 2001, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Ulukai

Ooo! A new song by Radiohead :p

God I love Radiohead! I can't think of a band that's as creative as they are. Anyway, this does really sound as if it was one of their songtitles! :D

@kuma
5th Nov 2001, 05:30 PM
Unreal was lots of the proverbial **** thrown against a wall, some of it stuck but most of it didn't

Unreal2 is a far more cohesive experience with no 180 degree switches in theme from one level to another... it won't make you breakfast in bed but it should be well worth the wait.

Ulukai, aim a little lower next time & they might get it :)

dead clown
5th Nov 2001, 06:52 PM
it'd take a hell of a game to top max payne in terms of single player gaming. that game was just so innovative, not just because of the whole bullet time thing but because of the cool narrative. i found operation na pali to be intensely dull both in terms of story and level design, i hope legend have improved their game design skillz considerably since then.

@kuma
5th Nov 2001, 07:47 PM
RE:CV with a mouse and a proper roving camera would have owned MP

it was a great game but innovative? Hardly...

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by @kuma
RE:CV with a mouse and a proper roving camera would have owned MP

it was a great game but innovative? Hardly...
i loved that game on the DC. as for U2.......well i dont know a lot about it so i dont have any expectations..........and i didnt really enjoy U1 that much........

QUALTHWAR
5th Nov 2001, 08:46 PM
I have forgotten what i read about the new U. What kind of a game will it be. FPS, i assume. But is it a DM game, something like Unreal where you're on a quest for the next level. Blow Ms Pacman off the map? All the above and more? What?

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 08:51 PM
i think i remember reading that it would be more adventure/quest than fps...........

Eveyone knows U2 will look awesome, but have you noticed console graphics lately? I mean the remake of RE on the Gamecube has to be the best looking game I have ever seen and Max Pain on Xbox looks as good if not better than it's PC counterpart.......

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 08:53 PM
i'm waiting on the sequal to UT whatever that will be and DOOM 3 personally.........

QUALTHWAR
5th Nov 2001, 09:00 PM
I don't play console games, but aren't they all set up so you have to use your tv as a monitor? If so, television has limited resolution. Well, i don't know if "limited" is the right way to put it, but the resolution on a pc monitor is much better than a tv.

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by QUALTHWAR
I don't play console games, but aren't they all set up so you have to use your tv as a monitor? If so, television has limited resolution. Well, i don't know if "limited" is the right way to put it, but the resolution on a pc monitor is much better than a tv.
yea thats true, but the newer tvs and console connections allow for higher rez.......

http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/re0/residentwhoa1.jpg

NUFF SAID :lol:

QUALTHWAR
5th Nov 2001, 09:13 PM
Ok, but could you play a console game at 1024X768, for example?

Deathwing
5th Nov 2001, 10:41 PM
Aren't a lot of TVs limited to 800x600 or something? Monitors these days go much higher.

That pic is pretty good lookin though...

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 10:51 PM
not sure about console rez. i wasnt aware that it affected games in any way, well that was until i got a pc ;)

Deathwing
5th Nov 2001, 10:53 PM
That's because you can't change the rez on a console (save for some high and low detail levels in a few games), so the games need to be made for older TVs.

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 10:53 PM
oh and thats an in game shot, not a cinema. pretty good considering 2-3 years ago console games looked like crap compared to pc games

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 11:02 PM
kool avatar by the way qualth.......

@kuma
5th Nov 2001, 11:14 PM
2-3 years ago console games looked like crap compared to pc games


PSX - ridge racer and tekken looked much better than anything on the PC

Early N64 era - Mario & pilotwings ditto

DC - Soul Calibur, better than anything on the PC at the time :)

The 'new' RE looks good and all but you know the backdrops are pre-rendered? Very nice they are too but the games like Alone in the Dark with higher poly models.

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 11:20 PM
ah a hardcore gamer..........

true some console games looked better than pc, but the majority didnt. i think the next-gen consoles are fuking awesome. compared to the old consoles anyway.........

another gamecube screen :)

http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/rogueleader/rogueleadgc23.JPG

lucifix
5th Nov 2001, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by @kuma



PSX - ridge racer and tekken looked much better than anything on the PC

Early N64 era - Mario & pilotwings ditto

DC - Soul Calibur, better than anything on the PC at the time :)

The 'new' RE looks good and all but you know the backdrops are pre-rendered? Very nice they are too but the games like Alone in the Dark with higher poly models.

i didnt know the background was pre rendered, but still look at the models. i have alone4 and my ****ty pc wont run it :( wasnt the backgrounds in RE:CV polygon?

@kuma
5th Nov 2001, 11:57 PM
that starwars game is great, I'll be buying a GC to play it

yes the CV backdrops were proper skinned geometry... they only looked so good because the camera never got really close to them & the clipping fog actually added to the game :)

Some bits of it were fantastic - capcom's artists have always owned

lucifix
6th Nov 2001, 12:17 AM
i see youre a capcom fan...........what the hell did you do to that akuma pic anyway? i dont recall him being half blue like that......

@kuma
6th Nov 2001, 12:20 AM
he's the hidden character in CyberBots, which had the coolest art of any CPS2 game IMO :)

lucifix
6th Nov 2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by QUALTHWAR
I don't play console games, but aren't they all set up so you have to use your tv as a monitor? If so, television has limited resolution. Well, i don't know if "limited" is the right way to put it, but the resolution on a pc monitor is much better than a tv.
some consoles can be hooked up to a monitor, for example sega dreamcast.........and I think n64 and PSX can also be hooked to one.

lucifix
6th Nov 2001, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by @kuma
he's the hidden character in CyberBots, which had the coolest art of any CPS2 game IMO :)
never heard of it

@kuma
6th Nov 2001, 12:28 AM
http://www.ncsx.com/cybots2.jpg

http://www.ncsx.com/cybots3.jpg

Zero-Gouki was only in the saturn port I think :(

lucifix
6th Nov 2001, 12:32 AM
oh.......

my dad has "obtained" my saturn.........old fart..........

lucifix
6th Nov 2001, 12:35 AM
akuma, have you seen doom and tekken for gba?

QUALTHWAR
6th Nov 2001, 09:52 AM
But youíre saying that the new game will be more like Unreal than UT?

Balton
6th Nov 2001, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by @kuma
Unreal was lots of the proverbial **** thrown against a wall, some of it stuck but most of it didn't

Unreal2 is a far more cohesive experience with no 180 degree switches in theme from one level to another... it won't make you breakfast in bed but it should be well worth the wait.

Ulukai, aim a little lower next time & they might get it :)

you just say this coz you are working on it...

btw, to its time unreal1 was great! quake2 or the other stuff couldnt really match to it. but maybe you wanna say that u2 will be better ( even without your help?)

Balton
6th Nov 2001, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by @kuma
RE:CV with a mouse and a proper roving camera would have owned MP

it was a great game but innovative? Hardly...

thats what these psx conversations lack! the controls

lucifix
6th Nov 2001, 02:50 PM
i prefer a controller over keyboard/mouse anyday, except when it comes to fps......

Evil_Cope
6th Nov 2001, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by lucifix
i prefer a controller over keyboard/mouse anyday, except when it comes to fps......


sounds about right to me :D

Bot_40
6th Nov 2001, 03:10 PM
The DualShock2 for the PS2 absolutly rocks. I was considering getting UT for my PS2 for the split screen play but you can only have 1 mouse and 1 keyboard and fps with a controller sucks :mad:
Not that I would go out and pay £40 for UT, then fork out on 4 mice and 4 keyboards or anything ;)

QUALTHWAR
6th Nov 2001, 03:13 PM
Could somebody please post a link or two about the new game, if there is something more than interviews to look at? Iíve already seen that big-ass movie they put out months ago.

@kuma, send me a copy of the game youíre working on and Iíll send you a copy of my momís recipe for burnt biscuits. Iíll pick the game over and tell you what all I find wrong or right about itÖ.uh, after you tell me what it is Iím supposed to find wrong or right with it.

DavidM
17th Dec 2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by dead clown
i found operation na pali to be intensely dull both in terms of story and level design, i hope legend have improved their game design skillz considerably since then.

talking about RETURN TO na pali? :D
i hope so

Mxtrmntr
17th Dec 2001, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by DavidM


talking about RETURN TO na pali? :D
i hope so

erm, "don't bump old threads", or whatever :D

btw, you've got 999 posts...

DavidM
17th Dec 2001, 11:55 AM
and now i have only 337 posts left