Nintendo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Domino

< Phoenix Rising >
Oct 25, 1999
Houston
Well I've been thinking of purchasing a console for a while now, and have done some research on the big 3. (GC, PS2, XBOX) and judging from this comparison chart:
http://www.futurelooks.com/reviews/...tendo/Gamecube_preview/pages/gamecube3way.htm

I'd have to say that the Gamecube doesn't look half bad, it beats the PS2 in almost every category, comes with built-in broadband support and a score of other features. I don't mention the XBOX because it is evident it will be the reigning champ, but there is no way in hell I'm giving Bill Gates any more of my money :)

Okay, so back to the point, I ask you.. is Nintendo doing a good job of losing it's "kiddy" stereotype that has plagued it throughout it's gaming history? I mean, while people were playing Doom, they were making Mario Brothers so I don't blame people for associating wussy titles with Nintendo. But recently Nintendo has signed on the entire Resident Evil collection, even the sequel 4 will be released on it, and companies like Sega are teaming up with Nintendo to make games.

And being a person who doesn't like Anime that well, I remember the horrors of going to the game-store and trying to find games for my PSX and browsing through a complete collection of games like; "Tenchu Warriors, Nagasaki Soul Blade, Spirit Soul... all this bull****. Give me some advice, which console to buy?

gcn_over_pic4.jpg
gcn_over_hand.jpg
gcn_over_pic2.jpg

Last edited:

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
You better appreciate this, this will take a while to type:

From GamePro magazine:

System Details:

PS2:
Main Processor: Sony Emotion Engine
CPU Clock Speed: 294.912mhz
GPU: 150mhz Sony "Graphics Synthesizer"
System Memory: 32mb
Polygons Per Second: 66 million (raw)
Controller Ports: 2
Price: $329 with GT 3
Media Format: CD-Rom & DVD
Media Capacity: 4.7gb
Memory Card: 8mb, plugs into console
Audio Channels: 48 channels
Hard Drive: 40 gb- add on
DVD Video: Yes, built-in
Backward Compatibility: Yes (PS1)
56k Modem: Yes, add on
Broadband connector: Yes, add-on

Xbox
Main processor: Custom Intel Pentium 3
CPU Clock Speed: 733mhz
GPU: 250mhz Nvidia "XGPU"
System Memory: 64mb
Polygons Per Second: 125 million (raw)
Controller Ports: 4
Price $299
Media Format: CD-ROM and DVD-ROM
Media Capacity: 9gb
Memory Card: 8mb, plugs into controller
Audio Channels: 256 channels
Hard Drive: 10gb, built in
DVD Video: yes, with extra remote
Backward Compatibility: N/A
56k modem: No
Broadband Connector: Yes, built in

GameCube:
Main Processor: IBM Gekko
Cpu Clock Speed: 485mhz
GPU: 202.5mhz ATI "Flipper"
System Memory: 43mb
Polygons Per Second: 6-12 million (with game effects on)
Controller Ports: 4
Price: $199
Media Format: 8cm Optical Discs
Media Capacity: 1.5gb
Memory Card: 4mb, plugs into console
Audio Channels: 64 channels
Hard Drive: No
DVD Video: No
56k Modem: Yes, add on
Broadband Connector: Yes, add on

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
PLAYSTATION 2:

The Good: With a year's head start on the competition, Sony looks like it will be the dominant brand sales-wise this year. It will have the most units available on store shelves and the deepest software library. MGSolid2, which will be out in November, is the reason many people bought or want to buy the system; the power of the Gran Turismo and Final Fnatasy franchieses can't be ignored either. Support for DVD video gives the machine some multimedia depth, and its backward compatibility is still a trick the other consoles have never performed; because the new machine plays original PS1 software, the PS2 gives existing PlayStation owners a reason to stay loyal. In addition to the promise of online gaming, Sony has also forged some high-profile alliances with AOL, Netscape, Real Networks, Cisco, and Macromedia to bring a total online experience to useres, complete with site browsing, email, streaming multimedia, and many other hallmarks of the World Wide Web

The Bad: Despite Sony's claims to the contrary, devlopers are still grousing about how hard it is to program for the PS2. Sony bent over backward to make the original PS1 easy to work with, but this time the company left developers to figure out many more things for themselves. That makes for some strained relationships and a lack of enthusiasm from programmers, but it doesn't mean they wont' make games for it-- they all want a slice of the profitiable PlayStation2 pie. Sony has also been evasive on consumer bug reports, such as why some discs get scratched during normal use (is it from running the machine in the vertical position? Sony isn't saying) Also, while a price drop is expected though not confirmed, the ps2 is the most expensive of the trio at the time of this writing, since the gt3 bundle is currently mandatory at $329.

The Question Marks: Sony's plans bank heavily on peripherals, which don't traditionally sell well. Come November, ps2 owners will be able to buy several add-ons: a hard drive, a network adapter, a keyboard, a mouse, and an LCD screen-- and will need at least some of them if they want the machine to live up to its full potential. Those peripherals will likely be expensive (the network adapter, which enables both 56k and cable/dsl internet connections, will cost $40; all other prices are TBA), so a fully tricked-out PS2 with all the official accessories could easilly creep towards the $500 mark. While many people may have assumed that Microsoft's console would be the most PC-like of the bunch, it's actually the PS2 that is poised to turn into a mini-computer.

The Verdict: The ps2 is still the logical choice for Ps1 owners who want to own one machine that can play everything: new games, classic games, and dvd videos. And thanks to sony's aggressive online strategy, everything means more than before. If you're looking for an affordable alternative to a pc, the upgradeable ps2 is the only option

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
MICROSOFT XBOX

The Good: A core processor much speedier than the competitors combined with a custom strain of Nvidias GeForce3 graphics chip will give this machine power to sapre-- and reportedly, many developers and programmers are easily and happily flexing this newfound computing muscle. MS is promising that between 600,000 and 800,000 consoles will be on store shelves before the end of the year, which should more than take care of the early adopters. For online gaming, the xbox will come with a hard drive and a built-in ethernet jack, which are both costly add-ons for the ps2. its software lineup will be a strategic mix of popular franchise sequels and completely new, exclusive properties-- and surprising many critiics, no pc ports.

The bad: you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and the xbox E3 showing was less than stellar. Many games just looked like they weren't far enough along, as things like speed and ram rate had yet to optimized. third-party support from japan is also lacking. The controller is drawing a lot of negative reaction from being too bulky, and having uncomfortable placed buttons, or both. If you want to watch movies, the DVD player must be "unlocked" with a special MS remote which will be another $40 or so. And yeah, at $300, it's likely to be the most expensive of the bunch by November. Worse, high-priced mandatory bundles are scaring away some who planed to preorder the machine.

The Question Marks: despite the machine's hard drive and killer internet connector, terms like keyboard, mouse and browser are dirty words to MS. you wont' see any peripherals to turn this box into a mini-pc, although that's what many people expected. To educate consumers about what hte machine is and isn't, ms is planning to spend half a billion dollars-- yes $500 million- to promote the xbox this fall. But until gamers get their hands on the system, they probably won't be convinced. After all, if nintendo is the friendly kiddie company then MS is the evil empire that many people love to hate (perhaps you've heard the obviously innaccurate rumos about the xbox weighing over 200 pounds or the snide remarks about bill gates wanting to monopolize the industry). How that prejudice will factor into gamer's decisions remains to be seen. There are also doubts as to whether the consoles and chipsets will actually be ready in time for a full launch.

The Verdict: Strong developer support and such hearty technology under its hood, the xbox could be the wisest choice for the long haul. This xbox looks like a late bloomer.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
NINTENDO GAMECUBE

The Good: if money talks, the gamecube positively shouts. The $199 price tag makes it the bargain f the bunch, and during the holiday season, many parents vote iwth their wallets: plus parents know nintendo. Thanks to some surprise tactics, the company's showing at E3 was excellent. A handful of extremely polished early titles such as Luigi's Mansion and the jaw-dropping Rogue Squadron 2 proved that Nintendo's trademark quality is still intact. Nintendo plans to make the game boy advance interact with the gamecube througha special cable next year, and that's awfully tempting for owners of the hot handheld. The game cube controller is very comfortable, and nintendo has finally ditched the expensive cartrdige software model in favor of an optical disc. Plus, many of gaming's classic characters-- Mario Luigi Pikachu metroid and Link-- only appear on nintendo platforms.

The Bad: If you are looking for an all-in-one machine, the gamecube is not it. It will be the only current console that doesn't support DVD video playback, and it won't have a hard drive for storing add-on game elements or online downloads. Historically, third party support (or game qualtiy) hasn't been as strong as Nintendo's own stuff, so you really have to like Mario and the gang. Plus--fair or not-- Nintendo's presentation of so many nonviolent, colorful products gives the company a reputation for "kiddie games". That, coupleed with the console's unusual design (it's bright purple and has a handle, for crying out loud), might keep older gamers from giving the console a second look.

The Question Marks: So much is unknown that GameCube buyers are basically investing in the company's reputation and it's past rather than it's present or future. Anything beyond the hallmark Nintendo quality will be a pleasent surprise. The system will feature interchangable 56k / broadband adapters, but nintendo has not offered details on how that internet connection will be used; Phantasy Star Online is coming to the GameCube, but in wha tcapacity? Even the game's devloper Sega say s"ask nintendo about its online strategy"

The Verdict: Nintendo is a known quantity to gamers-- it's name is shorthand for "video games" like "Kleenex" is for tissues and "Xerox" is for copiers. Fans loyal to nintendo's friendls, engaging brand of gaming probably don't need convincing, but the GameCube's surprising horesepower should make it more than competitive over the next few years.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
All this talk of specs is starting to grate on me. I mean, what are you going to do? Buy an Xbox or GameCube just so you can take it apart and admire the fancy hardware? Obviously, if you're trying to decide which console to buy, you should do a little research, determine which console has the games you want to play, and buy it. The Xbox and GameCube could have all the power of the universe, but I wouldn't buy either one of them because they don't have the games that I like. The whole point of buying a console, after all, is to play games, correct?

-Keiichi

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Games is where Gamecube might have problems. Although there are plenty of good (and not kiddie) games that will be coming out, most of them won't be available at release time, which might make a bad impression. I was also a little bit ticked when I learned Gamecube wasn't going to support DVD movie playback. Although I usually like things to stick to their role (I don't like consoles that do things other than play games), since I don't have a DVD player, I decided to be a hypocrit and support it in this one case.

Even so I'll probably get a GC.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
LifesBane, in no way was that targeted at you or Domino. When I said "all this talk", I was refering to the internet as a whole. I see it time and time again. Someone will be trying to decide which console to buy, saying something like "Well, the PS2 has a ton of great games that I'd really like to play... but the Xbox is soooo much more powerful." I guess I just don't understand how people can get so worked up over numbers. I mean, since when did gaming become less about games and more about polygons and clock speeds?

-Keiichi

Domino

< Phoenix Rising >
Oct 25, 1999
Houston
Well since I already have a DVD player in my computer AND a standalone one for my TV.. it's not really that important that the GB includes a DVD player.

And I'm people are siding with the Gamecube, it seems like a good console IMHO.

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Here is Rogue Leader's guide to cool GC games (besides my namesake, which obviously everyone knows of already)

Pikmin. It's cartoonish but still the gameplay sounds cool. You order these alien things called Pikmin to do jobs for you to help you find parts of your spaceship while protecting you (a mix of stratagy and puzzle gaming). It has some amazingly realistic looking landscape, combined with the cartoon look of the pikmin and other creatures.

pikminlarge1.jpg

Rune. It's like Pokemon without the childish crap. Players gather magic cards they use to sommon monsters to fight for them. The graphics look great considering the game is still very early in development.

rune_screen003.jpg

rune_screen006.jpg

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Extreme G 3. This is an amazing looking racing being released for both GC and PS2. These pics are for the PS2 version; the GC one will probably look a bit better.

xg20.jpg

xg17.jpg

xg03b.jpg

Metroid Prime. Finally, Samus hasn't had a game in a while (except Smash Bros, which doesn't count as a game). It looks amazing, and Metroid games are ownage by default.

metroidprime_0607_screen004.jpg

Video (must-see): ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/gs/gc/adventure/metroid/mp_gc_1_wm.zip

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Doshin the Giant. I think this title was originally being made for N64's 64DD (which if you remember was the sole reason Nintendo used cartridges in the N64, yet it was never released in America). It looks cartoonish but it's an open-ended game, something like Black and White. You can be a nice giant and help people, or just kill em all. But the nicer you are the bigger you grow, and the bigger you grow the more likely you are to accidentally destroy things; so it is hard to be very good. Being evil makes you shrink, and of course it is hard to kill things when you are small and weak.

doshin_screen001.jpg

doshin_screen002.jpg

Perfect Dark Zero. The original Perfect Dark on N64 probably doubled what anyone thought the N64 could do. There are no screen shots of this yet, but I think it's safe to say it will own.

jaeg

PopeyeTurbo
Oct 18, 2000
Maybe it's just me, but I think the GameCube will be incredible. It has the games I like (that's really all that matters, Sony games just never "felt" right) and it's mucho cheap compared to the other two options. As a guy who is always interested in the technical aspects from a developers standpoint, I have looked at all three systems fairly indepth. There couldn't be a simpler design. The GameCube has heavyweight hardware in a package that's so easy to program it's not even freaking funny. Many many special effects, something game developers typically bend over backwards to do right, are already programmed into the GameCube. I'll admit, the PS2 has the most technical capabiliy out of either of the three but it doesn't matter when you have to spend half your time getting it to work. Nintendo has really gone out of their way to make things cheap and easy not only for developers but for consumers as well.

Also, Nintendo is doing something that no other console maker has ever done. They are licensing out their hardware. AWESOME idea. This lets Nintendo concentrate on the games while others fight over who has the best GameCube clone. In fact, Panasonic will be releasing a GameCube clone in Japan in the next few months. And guess what, it has a DVD player and other cool add-ons.

But what really matters is cost and games, I just like both when it comes to the GameCube.

METROID!