A testimony to guitar strings

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I love Ernie ball strings - custom gauge nickel wound slinky top heavy bottom 10-52s specifically. They make my ibanez sound not so cheap! I'm not joking, either I've gotten really good or the strings own - I'm thinking the strings :) I plug in through my Dano pastrami OD, put on an adrenaline flange (custom preset done on my SB Live), an I can replicate Randy Rhoad's sound in Crazy Train.

mmm...

What strings do you all use?

Battosai

The Great Southern Thread Killer
Jun 6, 2001
Roaming
I use D'addario 10-52 or the same gauge in the ernieball. I like the fatter sound of my neck humbucker. It's great for Metallica and Tool.

Tharsh what kind of Iban do you have again? I have the EX series. I'll post a pic when I get home.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
I use those exact strings Thrash. :tup:

Strings also sound great when they're clean. After a while they'll get all funky. The sound quality diminishes so slowly, you hardly notice. But when you put some new strings on, the difference becomes readily apparent.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I have no idea what reg. thickness is for bass, I've never had to change my strings on my bass :)

I've got a GRX20Z Ibanez. Bargain bin dual humbucker basically. Normally it sounds really whiney in the high end, but with these strings it's a lot nicer and has more "pierce" to it.

I find though that if I want a more clean "cool" tone, for songs such as Stairway to heaven, Dean Markley blue steels (normal, 9-45s), bridge pickup + a cymbal brass pick does wonders. Not that I don't like the ernie balls, just the tone I got previously seems to stick out.

BIG_MONKEY_JR

Apr 1, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
I use DR .010 to .046, they are the best feeling and sounding strings I have ever used on my les paul.

Speaking of strings, yesterday I was tuning my acoustic and the G string ripped, so later I was playing in front of some friends with no pick, so my finger would strum the first 3 strings then go over the gap and then hit the b string really painfully, so I was playing, then I looked down and saw that my strings were totally red, and the guitar had red splatters all over it, then saw my finger was bloody, that was quite fun. It's not my first time I've bled over my guitar, I used to do it during shows when I'd drop my pick and have to resort to playing with fingers, it really hurts.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
I use D'Addario XL 120s (.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042)

I don't like real heavy strings (mostly because setting up a Floyd Rose with heavier strings is a major bitch! and most of my guitars have Floyds). One of my guitars is gonna loose the Floyd and I'll probably set up 10s on it.

Battosai

Jun 6, 2001
Roaming
Dan do the elixers come in nickel wound? I get alot of fret wear.

Zund I have a floyd on my iban and I don't have any trouble with heavier strings. Do you try to string it like you would on a normal guitar? I flip my strings around so the ball is on top. And leave just enough slack to get four or five twists on the keys.

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
Actually, if anyone here knows, what thickness Bass string should i get for a nice rusty-crusty-ohh yeah baby! sound? .105 is good but not enough, and im having a hard time finding thicker ones (for none 5 stringers), and what brands make good, yet affordable strings at nice sizes?

Battosai

Jun 6, 2001
Roaming
If anyone can tell me what the this sticker says wins a brand new, never used well nothing really. :D