#1on1, F00!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
This is a p1mpage post for the channel #1on1 on irc.enterthegame.com, the place for 1 on 1 pickup games!

There's nothing more fun than 1on1. Those who have been into it can back me up on this. It's the most fun you can have with UT. Now if you think you suck at 1on1 or you really do suck, or you never play it, or get nervous, just stop by and soon you will discover that it's an awesome part of UT.

It is a mental game, so even if your ping is up there in the 200's, you can prove to everyone that ping isn't everything.

Spread the word to your friends!

Thanks,
SamD

ViperXL

Great Car
Dec 9, 1999
St. Louis, MO, USA
I agree!

1v1 is a great part of UT, it's intense and very friendly...

When you get a good matchup, it kicks ass! And this could turn out to be a great place to find those matchups. 1v1 is, like Sam said, Skill and mindgames. Trick your opponent, while having better aim/movement skills and this is the secret... If you are bad, you can pick up the art of 1v1ing pretty fast, all you have to do is practice (what better place then #1on1 as it looks).

/me high-fives SamD

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
1v1s wreck me! I get nervous, scared, adrenaline rushed and after a few minutes my arms feel like lead from the adrenaline "down". I just get frustrated a lot playing duels because even a marginally better player, once they're in control, will deny me even one frag and I start getting pissed and playing sloppy. Somehow, I still like 'em though. The strategy, thinking, and especially prediction involved are way above anything else.

I try to check into #pickupbuf at least once a day, but it seems like nobody ever hangs out there anymore besides CC and I_AM! We should get games going from there too; c'mon guys, join #pickupbuf when you load UT and check to see if anyone wants a duel. I know I usually do. I may have to start trying #1on1 now.......

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
Well the difference is that #1on1 is not for BuF only, I am hoping to make it a popular hangout for all of UT's 1on1ers.

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
Good Idea, a channel for people to play 1v1's, though I'm fairly sure it has been around for some time.

Thing with 1v1's is that some people absolutely have no clue, and that they will happilly spawnrape you if they are behind, or just because that is how they play 1v1.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Hey SamD,

Good idea, I remember a while ago there being a similar channel...I thought it was even the same name. I'd hang out in there from time to time, Chicken, Corp Klegg, and a few others would be in there most of the time.

I'll definately check it out, I'm always up for a 1on1, it's my favourite gameplay. If you ever want one, and you can't find one in 1on1 or in PickupBuF, feel free to drop in our channel #skullface anytime.

BTW, GG's last night ;)

-I_AM{skullface}

Stillborn

PHEAR IS JUST ANOTHER 4 LETTER WORD...
Oct 14, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Originally posted by Pineconeboy
The strategy, thinking, and especially prediction involved are way above anything else.

This is exactly why I don't play 1on1's... :eek:

Put I'll probably come by anyways just to boost some newbies confidence when he spanks my azz... :p

|pOt|fArMeRx

3rd degree CD burns
Jun 12, 2001
canada eh
http
ping has a hell of alot more to do with it than people would like you to believe...

i've been thinking of a mod/mutator ( though i couldnt make it )

that would even out the pings, say, it would adjust net speed so that both players had 100-150 ping, just so that 1 guy doesnt have 60 ping and the other guy has 200, THAT ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME !!!!!

|pOt|fArMeRx

3rd degree CD burns
Jun 12, 2001
canada eh
http
p.s i think the funnest part of UT is caputruing the flag and starting the LOOOOOOOONG journey home, im not much of a CTF buff, but I LOOOOOOVE the ADRENALINE BABY !!!!!!

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
You thinking of #pickupbuf Farmer? ;)

I work Monday-Friday so I just hang in #1on1 and #pickupbuf, if you need to use my server, just pm me, I'll respond. :)

My server is usually set up for 6 man FFA DM, but I can reset it to whatever you all need. It's in a server farm, nice fat connection, and is located in the DC area.

So don't be shy, PM me if you need to use it!

-I_AM{skullface}

Stillborn

PHEAR IS JUST ANOTHER 4 LETTER WORD...
Oct 14, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
SamD...

I picked up a demo of you playing phosgenej on Deck from cached.net... impressive ;)

I also saw that you had commented on one of the demos from the russian championship... sid vs devil... I think your comment was like OMG! :) I have to agree with you... I watched all three demos of that final and those two (especially sid) were amazing. The aim was perfect and no spam whatsoever... Sid has to be the best player I've ever seen... To bad he's not going to WCG...

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn

Sid would definitely be a worthy contender at the WCG finals. you can find more of his (and other russian players) demos at http://www.thercl.ru/?cat=demos

There are some demos of Pain on cached where he only uses sniper (like one against Replica), he has incredible aim. Another thing is he's a weapons whore, he uses everything to his advantage, I'm looking forward to some WCG Korea demos.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I popped into #1on1 the other day; was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of people in the channel. I had to play a match tho so I didn't have time for a game.

Lily

Biatch
Originally posted by SU3000
Good Idea, a channel for people to play 1v1's, though I'm fairly sure it has been around for some time.

Thing with 1v1's is that some people absolutely have no clue, and that they will happilly spawnrape you if they are behind, or just because that is how they play 1v1.

What's the problem with spawnraping in 1v1s ? I don't play 1v1s mind you, although I think i'm going to give it a try. Anyway, I don't see what you are supposed to do when your opponent respawns nearby. Let him grab a weapon, some armour, and wait for him to fire ? Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by 'spawnrape', but I have always thought it was part of playing 1v1. Just curious.

Lily

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Originally posted by Lily
but I have always thought it was part of playing 1v1. Just curious.
It is. Every single 1 vs 1 I've played involed some spawn raping. Although killing an opponent six times in a row right after he spawns is just a bit too much. :)

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by Lily

What's the problem with spawnraping in 1v1s ? I don't play 1v1s mind you, although I think i'm going to give it a try. Anyway, I don't see what you are supposed to do when your opponent respawns nearby. Let him grab a weapon, some armour, and wait for him to fire ? Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by 'spawnrape', but I have always thought it was part of playing 1v1. Just curious.

Lily

I hear what your saying.

If I'm playing a ladder match, and someone spawns near me, I'll take them out.

If I'm playing a scrim, or a friendly 1vs1, then I won't take out someone who spawns near me. For a few reasons, 1. it doesn't take any skill, 2. I'd rather them go get a weapon and have another good fight, 3. we're playing for fun, not to win, so it doesn't matter to me how many frags I have at the end of the match.

Soooo...depending on the game, is what affects whether or not I'll take you out if you spawn right next to me.

:)

-I_AM{skullface}