PDA

View Full Version : Sniping mod: Questions

Kel-Boi
26th Oct 2001, 11:36 AM
I must have posted this in the wrong forum the first time.

Greetings, folks.

I'm interested in making a mutator that causes a non-crouched player's view to wander/waver randomly. I've noticed that there is a "zooming" state, and I expect I can figure out whether there is a "crouched" state (must be, right? players move slower while crouched), and further whether there is a "zoomed" state, "walking" state, and "running" state. Any tips or hints would be great, since I'm new to the codebase. :)

(Optimally, a sniper's zoomed view would jostle most when running, less when walking, even less when standing still, and less still when crouched and moving, and least (possibly none) when crouched and still.)

I expect the major pain I'll suffer is figuring out how to make the player's view jostle. Any pointers to the right functions/variables would be fantastic. Once I know what to use I'm hoping it will be rather academic to come up with a "jostle" algorithm.

In any case, thanks for any help you folks can provide.
Cheers,
Kel

vlosk
26th Oct 2001, 10:13 PM
I don't have the example here on this comp, but e-mail me at: vlsok@powersurfr.com and i can pass you a nice simple little bit of 'jostle' material :)

Also, though state based should in theroy work fine, i think you would be better off making it works as follows:

High Jostle: The player is really moving. This can be falling, jumping, swimming, running, you name it; if it is based on the players speed you have full support for all physics.

Low Jostle: if the player is crouched.

Such would be done in the weapon's tick function, checking the values of the human owner (PlayerPawn(Owner).[something]) again, i don't have any examples here, but i have a bunch of example code bits at home, so e-mail me if you would like to know more.

Kel-Boi
27th Oct 2001, 08:45 AM
An email's on the way! =)

Captain Kewl
27th Oct 2001, 08:52 AM
bIsCrouching is in the PlayerPawn class. There's also a ShakeView function which is called when you fire a weapon or take damage.

function ShakeView( float shaketime, float RollMag, float vertmag)

Maybe have a timer that checks every second or so to see of bIsCrouching == False, and if it is, call ShakeView with shaketime of the timer interval and small RollMag and Vertmag. Make the values functions of magnitude of velocity or something.

Kel-Boi
27th Oct 2001, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the tips, Cap Kewl!

I'm impressed and humbled by how helpful the folks on this message board are.

Give me a while, but once I have a working mutator I'll post the results here.

Thanks much!

Kel

vlosk
27th Oct 2001, 02:56 PM
that plus the timer system was what my 'jostle' function was ;)