PDA

View Full Version : Honk if you think documenting sucks!

Kangus
25th Oct 2001, 03:07 PM
WoRM 1.90.... the release put off because I HATE writing documentation on how to use a mod. I wish people were smarter and could just figure these things out for themselves... idiots.... Postal says I should just be evil & release without any documentation.... but then my inbox gets filled with e-mail saying "how do you <insert idiot's problem here>".... then again, even if I do document, I get that sort of stuff... but then I can respond with "RTFM!" But then I come across as a big ass....
Damn I hate documenting such a complex product....

Postal
25th Oct 2001, 03:14 PM
Honk!

Smoke39
25th Oct 2001, 07:45 PM
*Oink!* er *Honk!*
You should wrist dis:
"I like peaches, now go away!"
I think that'd be adequate enough, don't you?

Kangus
26th Oct 2001, 12:58 PM
its tempting to set up Outlook to automatically return that inspiring message to all tech support e-mails before deleting them, but I think I'll pass.

Psycho_Leech
26th Oct 2001, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I was going to document the shove rifle before I posted it up here, but couldn't be bothered, with Quake mods, I took another document and replaced details so as to relate to my mod, perhaps a standard layout for documentation would be a good idea, that way the document could be clearer and easier to type up.
OH MY GOD!! I HAD A GOOD IDEA!!
That's weird, that's very weird.
Can you release the latest version undocumented, you could just bung in the old readme but state not all features are documented and so not to send pointless e-mails as they will be in due time.

Kangus
26th Oct 2001, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Psycho_Leech
perhaps a standard layout for documentation would be a good idea, that way the document could be clearer and easier to type up.
that wouldn't work for WoRM.... but for single weapons it wouldn't be a bad idea.

FireSlash
27th Oct 2001, 11:23 AM
just create a readme.txt file, with the text "Documentation in readme.doc" and dont include readme.doc ;)

Smoke39
27th Oct 2001, 02:37 PM
Then he'd get a bunch of e-mails like:
"You stooped fool! You forgetted to put da readme.doc in yur stooped zIp phile! Go fix it NOw!"

Psycho_Leech
27th Oct 2001, 03:42 PM
How many new features are there? Could you easily add the new ones in the old document?
Release it now, and put up on the section before download, in big letters:
THIS VERSION IS UNDOCUMENTED, IT IS RELEASED FOR TESTING AND PEOPLE WHO THINK FOR THEMSELVES EASILY, THEREFORE, IF YOU HAVE QUESTION, WAIT UNTIL THE DOCUMENT IS RELEASED AND THEN CHECK THE DOCUMENTATION, IF IT IS NOT MENTIONED, BOG OFF ANYWAY.

Postal
27th Oct 2001, 05:14 PM
Sprint1 once made a layout for a single weapon readme, I modified that for the WAR mod

Kangus
27th Oct 2001, 06:18 PM
yeah, that Sprint1 layout is nice... I tend to use a modified version of it myself.

Psycho_Leech
28th Oct 2001, 04:49 PM
Where is the Sprint1 layout?
You could put a text file in saying documentation is avalible on fileplanet, put a dead link in, and blame it on gamespy, I can't seem to get anything off gamespy right now anyway.

Kangus
28th Oct 2001, 05:48 PM
the sprint1 layout can be found in the docs for WAR.

and actually, WoRM's docs haver been ready for a while now... wll, thats rather obvious sinceI posted the download link in general discussion

Kangus
29th Oct 2001, 05:46 PM
From the ModSquad "I need help" board:
Originally posted by Ozzie
Supposedly this mutator allows you to mix weapons from other mods\mutators along with the defaults. However, I can only mix weapons from my Legacy mod. I also have Weapons Factory, Insurrection, and ChaosUT; there is no option to mix those weapons.
Someone didn't read the manual.... why do I bother?

Smoke39
29th Oct 2001, 08:52 PM
Fools...

Psycho_Leech
1st Nov 2001, 01:38 PM
Interesting idea for a mod, you are a uscripter and have to bombard lamers with manuals until they understand.(or suffocate under a pile of documents)

Smoke39
1st Nov 2001, 09:54 PM
I like dat dere suffocation thing...

Psycho_Leech
2nd Nov 2001, 12:14 PM
You also have to eliminate bugs as well, and fatal errors.
Some weapons:
RTFM Cannon
Primary: Fires a manual in order to get lamers to do things right.
Alt fire: Fires a ton of manuals to solve problems the easy way i.e. to crush the lamers.
Bug buster rifle
Primary fires a beam which kills bugs.
Alt fire generates a temporary glitch in the physics engine, allowing you to fly until someone shoots you with the primary mode, or the glitch is corrected after 10 seconds.
Bazooka
Primary mode blows the hell out of computers that don't boot up properly.(Ever felt like that?)
Alt fire is a scope.
Cursors
Primary fire shoots a arrow out that can terminate popup adverts by hitting the X button.
Altfire shoots out a user-guided arrow, you can also hit people on the head to temporarily stun them.

FireSlash
14th Nov 2001, 10:08 AM
ARGH!

"I cant get the flashlight to work!"

*cough* Readmefirst.txt *hack* *wheeze*:(

Psycho_Leech
14th Nov 2001, 02:15 PM
I think most U1 objects don't work properly because you need to switch them on with a command that was dropped from UT:(