What OTHER Tactical FPS games have you tried?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What other Tactical FPS games have you played?

• Operation Flashpoint

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Deltaforce 3: Land Warrior

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Rainbow 6/ Rogue Spear/ Urban Operations

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Strike Force

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Urban Terror

• Q3 True Combat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire Arms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soldier Of Fortune

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Project IGI

• Counterstike (I had to put it in there) ;)

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

POWER[NSK]

"God here... the POWER is on it's way!"
Oct 16, 2001
Vegas Baby!
Visit site
OK guys, bear with me here :)

This poll is to find out what, if any, tactical/"realistic" FPS games you ppl have tried out/played. If you have tried more than one, then vote multiple times.

ALSO, what I'm really interested in knowing, is what features you liked in particular about different games, and why you liked them (i.e., I liked the leaning in Rogue Spear/Urban Ops because of it's "feel" and the contollability of it).

My main point here is to try and pull as many good ideas from other games as possible, so that we may incorporate them into INF, and/or improve INF's execution of the feature.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
swat 3 (also played 1 and 2)
operation flashpoint
r6 rogue spear
delta force 3 (WTF! doom is more realistic than df3!)
cs (doh)

i LOVE the swat3 AI!

operation flashpoint... hmz, i guess when i get tired of CQB, opflash is the best game....

r6.... what do i like of r6... maybe i like tha fact that the leetest soldiers of the world cant hit dick unless they stand still for 10 seconds...

df3.... well, i like jumping 3 feet while firing the SAW in that game
cs, i like the stories about cs, all other things are crap

i have the feeling i forgot alot of games, nevermind, not that important

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
IGI is cool. They've just announced IGI 2 (Innerloop again).

SWAT3
Very nice AI and weapon selection. The AI is dodgy at times though. And how come I keep running into terrorist types with slung AK47's, trying to Glock me to death?

Rogue Spear
Alright. I'd actually recommend SWAT3 over it, though. The graphics are pants and the mouse sensitivity (on my comp, anyway) is screwed up to the point where I have to use zoom for anything +10 metres. The reticule system does a nice job of simulating weapon weight / awkwardness but seems a little overdone (SWAT3 does the same thing but subtler). The Inf equivalent would be making the mouse "heavy", I guess. The AI is really ass sometimes. Your soldiers cannot cover more than about a 30 degree arc with any certainty and the AI isn't up to much.

OFP
Just got this and a little dissapointed. The graphics are good (you can miss a camouflaged soldier if you don't look carefully, which ultimately is what you want. Human vision is pretty fallible, IRL. Inf is too "neon", still.) The weapons are well done (nicely battered models) but the ballistics seem wrong.
The system for tagging something you can see as an enemy is a bit off, too. I want to be able to spot for a sniper using binoculars.
The AI is, as with all the best, frighteningly convincing at times and very bad at others. I don't know... there needs to be some way of programming an AI to be scared. Give it the concept of danger. That clean sweep quick mission... what sort of idiot runs straight into a town full of enemy, right down the main street?
Still, fun overall. Combat is confusing, scary and leaves you feeling very human.
For inf:
The zoomed view of the sights would be good as an option in addition to the current view, rather than as a replacement.

Soldier Of Fortune
This is just plain funny. I play it to unwind. It has some nice touches, but they are mostly scripting and clever level design. Inf doesn't need anything from this game. Apart from maybe the ball-shots.

Firearms
This is my other "main" mod. I like - the bandaging system, the leg damage, the reinforcements thing (strategy? In a FPS? yup), the weapons (definite "worn" theme) and the skins (you need to be careful who you are shooting).
The theme is definitely more "fun-realism" than "realism", so it's not really directly applicable.

Project IGI
Big levels!
(Single player sneak-em-up and not really comparable overall).

Count0r-Stirkez
Not at all realistic. More of a video-game with passing nods to realism.

Delta Force 3
Kickass. Voxelspace levels (huge and with proper hillocks and stuff). Good ballistics modelling. You had to lead your target and set scope zero. With some rifles you could hit targets you couldn't properly see on top of ridges etc. You could stop a sniper hitting you by moving unpredictably (I found stopping every 3-9 steps as good as anything). Always held back by the lack of user ability to run a +16 player server (Novaworld is pretty much populated by arseholes) and the focus on sniping (CQB was a bit lacking).
More fun realism than realism, but I would like to see better ballistics, sound ("crack-WHUMP!") and bigger levels in inf.

My thoughts, more or less in order.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
lessee...

1. Operation Flashpoint
pretty cool, though flawed in parts, such as the lack of proper ballistics in all but the sniper rifles... also, it doesn't like my vidcard, so it looks like i'm playing in some arctic region... :con:

2. Deltaforce 3: Land Warrior
only tried the demo, and lmao'd at the sheer audacity of it actually using the bloody DF namesake... :con:

3. Rainbow 6/ Rogue Spear/ Urban Operations
imo, the best of the bunch... ai is dodgy, the blooming recticule system is somewhat irritating, but overall it's cool as sh!t... :tup:

4. Urban Terror
CS for Q3A... 'nuff said... :tdown:

5. Q3 True Combat
it's still early beta, and it has the right spirit, but quite flawed... tactical mode brings your weapon sights up, but you don't use them... you still use the crosshairs, and there's a pretty nasty conefire, too... :con:

6. Soldier Of Fortune
love it... it's just so much fun... and yeah, the crotchshots were lots of fun...

7. Project IGI
only played the demo, and it seemed fun, if rather flawed...

8. Counterstike (I had to put it in there)
words not necessary here... :tdown:
nah, community aside, it's fun, though the fact that it touts itself as realistic is really bloody irritating... :con:

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Tac-Ops
Strike-Force
CounterStrike
Day Of Defeat(a lot more real-life tactics used than most fps today)
Rogue Spear
Operation Flashpoint
Swat 3 Demo(no $$$ to buy it)

btw, I really wouldn't consider TO as tactical fps. It's plays like a UT version of CS. ie, teamwork and strategy isn't as efficient as CS imo. Hope this will be fixed.
The ones I really like are DoD, Rogue Spear, OFP and a little bit of CS. CounterStrike for the fact that we DO have some good servers and community in Singapore.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Operation Flashpoint: Very good, but it could've been great. It could have set a new standard for realism games to follow, but instead conitued the precdent of "balancing" things for "gameplay".

DF3: Pure shit. They took a reasonably intelligent series of games and dumbed it down to a 2nd grade level in everything. Graphics, AI, Weapons modelling, story, level design, etc etc.

Rainbow 6: Now, this is a classic. This game basically started the current trend in realistic shooters. But I fear it's predecessor Ghost Recon my take a less realistic road to try to gain popularity.

Strike Force: An unfocused mod with some real weapons and not much else.

Urban Terror: Interesting, slithly unique feel. But not really grounbreaking in any way.

Q3 True Combat: Doesn't live up it's name. Has a lot of potential though, and i can see it gaining fanbase with it's halfway INF/ halfway CS gameplay.

FireArms: Doesn't even pretent to be realistic. It feels like what I would have imagined Rambo the game would have felt like.

SoF: Fun. Entertaining. Unrealistic compared to reality. Die hard realistic compared to B-grade action movie realism.

Project IGI: Had potential but that was thoroughly clensed before it's release.

Counter-Strike: Fun. Entertaining. Highly unrealistic. The worst community I've ever seen in my life.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
-Soldier of fortune ? Tactical ? :lol:
Ok, now for the real thing :
-Hidden and Dangerous : why nobody quotes it here ?
It was ultimate, unequalled ambience, real sights aiming, EXCELLENT level design (remember the sinking battleship), highly strategic, good graphics, driving vehicles, a whole "look-and-feel" that i didn't find anywhere else. And the Sturmgewer 44 (aka MP 44). :) It's a shame INF fans never quote it, since it is BY FAR the closest game to inf i know (i must say i never tried OFP)
- SWAT 3 : highly tactical, interesting AI and level design, and a "police" whole feeling you find nowhere else. An excellent yet simple idea : you can arrest people !
- Rogue Spear / R6 : i liked many things but stopped playing it when i saw missions objectives that were :"kill all the terrorists". Unforgivable for a a tactical antiterrorist game.
- FireArms : my favourite before infiltration, even if it's not at all the same kind of mod. I just found it fun to play.
- Project IGI : any "one-man operations" tactical game doesn't really interest me, since you can't rely on teamwork ---> you have to rely on reflexes.
- I don't own Q3 so i can't tell you about its mods.
- TO : gameplay wise, it is exactly the same thing as CS.
- CS : had great fun playing it on LAN, much less fun playing it online. It depends who you're playing it with, in fact. Fun but of course unrealistic ( nothing original in this comment)