PDA

View Full Version : Scripted textures

Eater1
24th Oct 2001, 02:54 PM
I don't if this is the right place to post this (maybe a more modeling-oriented forum would yield better answers...) but I'm trying (or rather, will soon be trying) to do some interesting things with scripted textures, and have pretty much no idea how to go about doing it. If you don't know what I mean by scripted textures, the best example is the ammo indicators on the UT weapons (you know, the red text...). The scrolling marque in some UT levels is also a scripted texture, but I'm interested only in scripted textures as skins. What I need to know is:
A. How can I make an actor have a scripted texture on it.
B. Is it possible for a single actor to have more than one scripted texture on it.
If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it very much... I think I may have seen a tutorial on this somewhere a year or so ago, but I have unfortunately lost the URL if I ever had it.

Eater.

mr.s-d
24th Oct 2001, 06:01 PM
WoD have an excellant tute on scripted textures:

http://www.planetunreal.com/wod/tutorials/scriptedtextures.html

Eater1
24th Oct 2001, 09:00 PM
Well, thanks for the link... It will really help me get thruogh the first part, but that still only explains how to implement it in a map... Oh well, I'll figure it out myself I guess. Thanks for that link.

Eater.

nighthack
25th Oct 2001, 04:17 AM
For Point A:

Take a close look at a Weapons PostRenderFunction especially the ones that have scriptet Textures like Eightball, Flak. Schould be really selfexplenatory to a point.

For Point b:
Dont know, but probably yes , you have to figure that out yourself ....

Eater1
25th Oct 2001, 02:32 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure that the "scripted skin" calls a RenderTexture(ScriptedTexture Tex) function (or something like that) every Tick... But that's the reason I asked about point B - if you have more than one scripted texture on one actor, there is no way to tell which texture "Tex" is, or is there?

Eater.

Raeled
25th Oct 2001, 05:49 PM
If (MultiSkin[2] = Tex)
{
}

i think that will tell you wich texture you got

after all scripted texture is a subclass of texture

Eater1
26th Oct 2001, 02:39 PM
But isn't MultiSkin used for something else? I know that some functions in the TournamentPlayer class deal with mulitple skins (when assigning the face and body skins), so I guess I could look into that... And I'll check on the MultiSkin thing again, although I doubt that's it. Thanks for the help anyway.

Eater.

Raeled
26th Oct 2001, 06:48 PM
multiskins is just an array of texture

and scriptedtexture is a subclass of texture. it got all the stuff the texture got, and a little more

Eater1
27th Oct 2001, 02:50 PM
Well yeah, I realize all that, but what exactly is the MultiSkin array used for?

Eater.

Raeled
27th Oct 2001, 03:01 PM
multiple skins on 1 actor (instead of 1 per actor)

Eater1
27th Oct 2001, 09:09 PM
You're sure about that? Well, OK, I'll experiment with it a little bit when I get to it. Thanks for the help.

Eater.