PDA

View Full Version : Missing meshmap

Bytekeeper
23rd Oct 2001, 03:56 PM
Not a real uscript question but it has to do with it.
DA team leaders is trying his hands on modelling. But we have a problem, I get some missing meshmap errors.

If you want I can show you the import code, but it`s most likly not the code ( I code since a long time ).

Any ideas ?

Bytekeeper
23rd Oct 2001, 04:34 PM
Damnit, I say no code bug ;)
And it was one, the names of the mesh and the meshmap did differ due to a typoe argh!

ca
23rd Oct 2001, 08:57 PM
Damn typos.

vlosk
26th Oct 2001, 10:03 PM
and watch out for the infamous: material number 0, meshmap num 1 bug as well :P

navboy
27th Oct 2001, 01:59 PM
Could you explain this bug or point me to a page that explains it? I just now started using MilkShape to learn how to create my own models, and need to be aware of any pitfalls.

As a test, i just made a cube, slapped a wood texture on it, and pulled it into a map. It shows up and everything, but the texture looks bland and crappy compared to when i use the same texture on a brush with UED2, and i'm wondering what i'm doing wrong.

The example i was following also had line there:

#exec MESH LODPARAMS MESH=SimpleCube STRENGTH=0.5

but when i include that my cube is totally invisible in both the game and all editor views; i have to do a search for actors then delete it.

vlosk
27th Oct 2001, 03:00 PM
Level Of Detail.

Based on distance, the amount of vertices collapse, thus reducing the number of polygons, and increasing framerate... A cube, with 8 vertices, will look prettyy bad when you increase the amount it collaspes. (meant for 300+ polygon models, like people and weapons etc)

As for the bug, ut supports 8 materials (multiskins 1 - 8 (0 - 7 in the def props)) so if you make a model that is material number 2 in milkshape for some reason, import it, and set your texture for material number 1, you iwll have some problems.

navboy
1st Nov 2001, 12:25 PM
ah cool, that makes sense. thanks.

any idea on why the texture wouldn't look as good on the deco as opposed to on a brush built in ued2?

or if there's any way to get Detail textures attached to model textures like in ued2?

vlosk
1st Nov 2001, 05:08 PM
Well, for the most partt detail textures are a pain to use (i have them killking performance myself, so i disaible them) but as far as i know you cannot do this sort of thing to models, as models are rendered completely differently. You may try some effects with translucency or environment mapping which brushes cannot do, but otherwise you get what you see

Captain Kewl
1st Nov 2001, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by navboy
any idea on why the texture wouldn't look as good on the deco as opposed to on a brush built in ued2?

Might want to try setting LODSet=LODSET_Skin for the texture.

simianangel
2nd Nov 2001, 12:21 AM
also, keep in mind not to have any typos within the animation sequence import lines. and make sure all anims are within a bounding box of 128 units or you may crash.

to vlosk...

hi bud!:D

what is going on with synigen???

where is the site?:(

hope i helped

vlosk
2nd Nov 2001, 09:25 PM
e-mail me over at vlosk@powersurfr.com

The site is down, bu a hell of a lot has happened and i would love to give you a chance to see it!!! (Synigen just hasn't been the same without you, so really hope this heralds the end of you leave of absence! :cool: )

Captain Kewl
4th Nov 2001, 08:33 AM
Is there any kind of variable that can be modified in realtime to control mesh LOD culling? (Is that what LODBias is? How does it work?)

vlosk
4th Nov 2001, 07:42 PM
lod of one is normal; the lesser the float value, the greater the distortion and the larger the value, the less distortion.

Keep in mind a setting of 1.000000 is best unless you have somer error where the mesh visible breaks during lod culling, and in such a case, it would simply be better to fix the damage mesh

navboy
7th Nov 2001, 09:59 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys ... will tackle it again here shortly.

the lod line makes a lot more sense now. As far as setting lod to skins, what would normally be considered lod appropriate for a decoration ... for example a crate? i always assumed world.

vlosk
7th Nov 2001, 07:11 PM
Unless the model goofs, or the model is REally high poly (1000+ for some reason) don't even think of touching lod, as there is no reason to, you will have a performance effect measured in nanoseconds, and there is a good chance you will end up ruining your model in game. best bet is to leave lod alone, as the default is remarkably well in 99.99% of all cases. (as for lod set, i do not belive you would ever want to touch those options, though the lod bias may be changed if you want to decrease the amount of polies in an effect or something. )