PDA

View Full Version : how hard?

FireSlash
22nd Oct 2001, 07:12 PM
im looking into actually using my copy of Sound Forge, but i have one question. i have no midi keyboard around, nor the money to afford one, but im thinking of dipping in a few hours here and there, i always love learning somthing new. im in band, so i have a genreal understanding of music, and terms, notes, chords, key signature etc. but, is there anything else i critically need?

zynthetic
23rd Oct 2001, 03:45 AM
That all depends on how your going to be applying your music.
All you basically need a an undersadning of music and a little creativity. After that figure out what type of medium you want to use. Learning to use new software is much like learning a new instrument, it takes time. If your going to buy anything to enhance or develop music with research it a lot before so. I have a $900 recirding studio and I'm still reading the instruction manual and trying to get the mixes to sound as good as they do in my tracker:(

FireSlash
23rd Oct 2001, 07:06 AM
ok. i have hit a very annoting problem, i cant seem to get my samples to play loud! half of them arnt even audible... the volume setting seems to do nothing, the only thing that works is bringing them up an octave, and thats not what i had in mind. :hmm:

FireSlash
23rd Oct 2001, 08:16 AM
i also cant seem to find any good samples, GM.dlu is very limiting.

Prophetus
24th Oct 2001, 10:34 PM
If you really want to make music, you should invest in some good software. Sound Forge is good, but it's mainly for editing sounds/samples. If you plan to use any midi devices, you should use Cake Walk or Acid Pro.

The only reason I use Sound Forge is to finalize and professionalize finished music I made using Acid Pro or Cake Walk. SF is a good tool to grab and edit samples.

Prophetus
24th Oct 2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by FireSlash
ok. i have hit a very annoting problem, i cant seem to get my samples to play loud! half of them arnt even audible... the volume setting seems to do nothing, the only thing that works is bringing them up an octave, and thats not what i had in mind. :hmm:

Did you record them at a low volume? If you did, use SF to increase the wav's volume. (Click Process>Volume then OK)

FireSlash
24th Oct 2001, 10:49 PM
no, there actually from GM.dlu, the samples file that comes with modplug. i got it worked out though, i had the init volume a bit low... now if i can make somthing that dosnt sound like **** i might just post it (dont expect anything though ;))

FireSlash
25th Oct 2001, 11:06 AM
ok, this is bad, REAL bad, but i cant get much better put together yet...

change it to .s3m
and cover your ears!

zynthetic
26th Oct 2001, 02:31 AM
heh at least you know what your doing. Took me about 6 mo after I had MODPlug to actualy try to track anything:p

Fuzzpilz
30th Oct 2001, 02:50 PM
GM.dls comes with DirectX from version 7 upwards, in case you care. I don't think that matters, though. I can recommend Buzz (http://www.buzzmachines.com) for non-UT music. It has a steep learning curve (I've been working with it for a few months and am still not really that very good of it, though I make most of my music with it), but it pays off.