Nostromo SpeedPad

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Karma 13

Licensed to Bore into Submission
Oct 20, 2001
Outer Moon of Phobos
Visit site
Haven't tried it yet, but if you're looking for more info on it, check out the newest issue of PC Gamer (Dec. '01). They gave it a dazzling 90% score, which ain't too shabby! Price is right,too. I'd love to try it out, but my desk is already under three inches of clutter and the last thing I need is something else taking up space.;)

Oh, one more thing.... If you get the edition that comes with a CD-ROM, you also get TacOps beta2. For all us silly 56K'ers, that's pretty sweet!:D Also on the disk, for those of you old enough to remember, you get Zork 1,2 & 3! And Dope Wars! I forgot how addictive that simple-ass game was!

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
looks pretty good, but it also looks as if you'll be needing both hands to operate it. if this is the case how you're gonna use the mouse?

SpeedPad can best be described as a combination keyboard and game pad.
Great for any game that normally would use a keyboard

it doesn't say anything about replacing the mouse...i think i'd prefer this thing. :)

Some1else

Like Some1
Apr 24, 2001
Right here
Visit site
Just Got Mine!!

And I must say, I like it. For starters, it does not take two hands. It has a pre-made profile for UT, that looks okay, but not being a weapons player, I cant really say. What I will say, is once I got it tweeked the way I wanted it, I found it very funtional!! Being a LGI player, I set it up to dodge with the cross pad(still on learning curve on that),and yes, you can bind the dodge with it VERY easily. But for just standerd movement, it is really comfortable. If the palm rest is to high, it just pops off. The one thing they should have done, is to make the cross pad position adjustable.
If you decide to get one, be ready to wait a while, mine was on back order for two weeks, and PCGamer just reviewed it with a very good rating, even calling it the Holly Grail of FPS controllers, so my guess is the waiting list just got longer!!
S1E
P.S. It is not ment to replace the mouse, just keyboard!! the pic Belkin shows, just happens to have their mouse with it!!

7thPixel

Dot Com CEO
Feb 15, 2000
www.7thPixel.net
is it sturdy?

The only drawback I've heard is that it's a pretty flimsy piece of hardware.

I don't expect it to weigh like 10lbs or anything.. but I don't want it to feel as if I'm going to break it in the heat of battle either :)

more toys.. must.. have.. more .. toys

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
like i said before. this baby is more my kinda thing:

lg-claw1.jpg

rawwwr!

Viking1

Highly Unstable
Aug 12, 2000
Winnipeg
www.cainsunited.net
Woohoo.

Went to Future Shop today and plucked one off the shelf.

Gettin ready to plug 'er in now :)

Oh yeah, Ive looked at the Claw too, but I don't think it would have near the functionality of the Speed Pad. And the button configuration on that thing is just too restrictive.

Speed Pad = 10 buttons + 3 function levels + D-pad

Some1else

Like Some1
Apr 24, 2001
Right here
Visit site
Re: is it sturdy?

Originally posted by 7thPixel
The only drawback I've heard is that it's a pretty flimsy piece of hardware.

I don't expect it to weigh like 10lbs or anything.. but I don't want it to feel as if I'm going to break it in the heat of battle either :)

more toys.. must.. have.. more .. toys

I have used mine for a week, and am getting much more comfortable with it. As far as sturdiness, I would give it a 6, on a 1-10. Could be a little heavier, but controls have solid feel. The only other thing I dont like, but have gotten use to, is the size of the keys. They are just a little bigger then a keyboard key, so you have to move you fingers just a little futher. I would really like to see the next version have it so you can adjust the distance of the key pad to the palm rest. other then that, SWEETA!!!:D

S1E

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
This peripheral reminds me of a thread some guy posted a while back...I did a search but couldn't find it. It was some guy who had made a prototype of a special "gamepad/keyboard" thingy. He was saying whoever named it would get a free one.

Anyone remember what that was?

This Nostromo pad looks interesting...I'll have to check it out.

-I_AM{skullface}

Viking1

Highly Unstable
Aug 12, 2000
Winnipeg
www.cainsunited.net
Been using mine for a few days now. Pretty sweet.

Tried to use the thumb pad for movement, but I am WAY past making that change :) , so I use the thumb pad as 4 command keys giving me 14 keys in all (Not gonna try multi-level controls just yet).

Comfortable, versatile, I wub it :D