PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Warfare Expectations

icest0rm
18th Oct 2001, 10:09 PM
What do you expect from Unreal Warfare? I remember when UT was released, I was not expecting much. I was actually looking forward to Q3 a lot more. But when I played the UT demo, Q3 was almost an afterthought.

Now I think the expectations of Unreal Warfare are quite high. But can Epic really satisfy the expectations of gamers? I mean, look at Q3. Expectations were high and most got disappointed by the game. I really hope this does not happen with UW.

hal
18th Oct 2001, 10:15 PM
I don't know... I was into Unreal in a really big way. When I first heard that Epic was working on a new Unreal game that was going to focus on multiplayer I was really excited because I could see the potential. (Unreal wasn't initially famous for it's network code ;))

When the UT demo came out I was extremely pleased.

When I bought the game I was floored. The depth, the look, the feel.

I have an idea that I'll feel the same way when I get my grubby paws on UW. I see the potential. :)

The Dopefish
18th Oct 2001, 10:20 PM
I really can't see how Epic can outdo themselves after we saw how well the transition from U1 to UT was. I think, after, U2, people are going to be asking themselves, "Now what?", and I think, in order to keep that Unreal pull they'll have to push the envelope a bit, maybe even reinvent some things.

IntRed
19th Oct 2001, 11:03 AM
i have no idea what to expect, there are so little things known about uw

Drevlin
19th Oct 2001, 05:51 PM
After uw... MMO-game maybe? :)
Would be great to run around with 10000+ on one server hunting down those damn Skaarj or just forming clans and guilds in massive worlds with real players

NeoNite
19th Oct 2001, 06:26 PM
That sounds interesting drevlin... but by that time everyone should have cable or dsl ...

Yeah I'd be a Necris bounty hunter.. :D

Gusher
20th Oct 2001, 12:43 AM
Unreal Warfare Editor is gonna "RAWK YOUR SAWKS AHPH!" You will be able to handle importing of your models made in Maya, Max, Lightwave, and whatever you use just as simple as the push of a button... No more massive scripting...well very little scripting especially on specialy made mods......Anyway "Where Do You Want to Go Today?" Answer=> Unreal Warfare!!

Gusher

DeRailer
20th Oct 2001, 02:08 AM
large natural terrains :tup:
Take a look at DeusEx2 screenies. thats how powerful the UW rendering capabilities is.
Unreal Developers Network (http://udn.epicgames.com/)

Drevlin
20th Oct 2001, 03:58 AM
Makeing brushes in Maya, max or lw will almost be a MUST in ued2.6 or higher.
These things are called "hardware brushes" and they are real sweet things.
They got perfect collision height/weight and the textures fall on them perfectly

And it raises the standard of mappers me thinks as people that map "just for fun" will see that they have to learn a new proggie and there for they MIGHT quit mapping... Left is a few, but qualefied mappers and so maybe we can get rid of all the crappy mappers out there :)

Ulukai
21st Oct 2001, 11:21 AM
I suspect that many people will just stick with UED and forego using MAX etc to build complex brushes.

Which means the community will be flooded with exactly the same kind of crap that appears today, only uber-high poly versions.

I **** you not.

Tetris L
21st Oct 2001, 01:14 PM
I expect something inbetween classic multiplayer (many independent servers with 10-25 players each) and MMO (single servers with 1000+ players). Maybe servers with about 50-100 players each, maybe servers linked together through "gates" somehow.

I expect roles and classes, vehicles, huge maps with lots of outdoor action, very complex teamplay and complicated mission objectives, so that a single game takes 1 hr or more.

And certainly I expect it to kick some serious booty. :D

REeeE{skullface}
26th Oct 2001, 05:24 PM
I've got my new system. I have my connection. I am learning UT as fast as i can, so i have the idea when U2 and UW come out. I have no idea what to expect, except for 1v1 matches. I expect that. I want to be able to play it well, UT imho is a warm-up for UW. I want blood.

REeeE{skullface}

@kuma
27th Oct 2001, 12:35 PM
I expect Ulukai will be right.

Machismo
28th Oct 2001, 03:32 AM
Drivable veichles of the kind seen in HALO movies. give me some :D

Tetris L
28th Oct 2001, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Machismo
Drivable veichles of the kind seen in HALO movies. give me some :D

This turret (http://mrgreen.com/images/renders/turret.jpg) doesn't look like it's made for shooting at infantry. ;)

Machismo
28th Oct 2001, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by -The-Tetris-L-

This turret (http://mrgreen.com/images/renders/turret.jpg) doesn't look like it's made for shooting at infantry. ;)

true. i did see yo previous post on the U2 board :p

but it better be good, the veichle physics that is :D

hal
28th Oct 2001, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Machismo

true. i did see yo previous post on the U2 board :p

but it better be good, the veichle physics that is :D

But did you see this thread? http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89278

Machismo
29th Oct 2001, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by hal

But did you see this thread? http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89278

yes now I see the light at the end of the karma :p

Prisoner Number 9
29th Oct 2001, 07:36 PM
My expectations are for great tools for landscaping and outside terrain work. Im looking forward to being able to 2D heightmap and deform from within the editor , then use intelligent texturing tools. I want to play and make games for landscapes bigger than Operation Flashpoint maps but with the lighting and game dynamics of Unreal....a pretty tall order I know...but im sure they can do it.

GringoLoco
3rd Nov 2001, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by @kuma
I expect Ulukai will be right.

me too.

Rev Billy G
8th Nov 2001, 03:13 PM
I expect @kuma to driving around in a Ferrari by then :)

Magick
8th Nov 2001, 07:09 PM
being able to have independant servers hooked up through portals would be awesome, the MMO potential for uw is great

want to see what they do with U2 first and how they can move to even better things from there

Prisoner Number 9
9th Nov 2001, 01:21 AM
Doesnt UT already contain the skeleton for portals. Just no one has ever used it. The possibility of having game/maps spread over multiple servers has always been there since teleport dests can be a unique URL.

I have never seen this done. Maybe its another one of those tantalising bits of code Epic put in but never implemented.

hal
9th Nov 2001, 07:56 AM
Oh yeah, it's something that's already in place in some fashion. Someone already made an interesting portal-based front end for UT, it's just never used.

TD|-XinderblocK-
9th Nov 2001, 04:26 PM
I expect to start up U2 and see smoke then a large xplosion.. as i duck for cover.. i hear voices coming from my speakers.. I suddenly in a amazement see it was only the intro to U2 with my GF-3. :p Hopefully i will aford the GF-4 coming out in Q2 02

Unreal2-Warrior
14th Nov 2001, 01:20 AM
I cant wait to see the Giblets.. I hope they have Insta, I am a INSTA-freak. Wow The detail will be mind blowing, I am droolin over my keyboard just thinking about this.

J. Speed
25th Nov 2001, 04:06 PM
There is much to expect from Epic when UW or whatever it will be named when it hits the shelves. I dont expect it to be a MMO game but if it is all the better.

Most people already know the poly count will be bumped up as well as the inclusion of terrain.

Lets go a step further. I hope UW will have some kind of skill system for certain things. Vehicles is a must-ground and air.
I hope, but dont believe this will happen, there will be space craft and more than one planet. Now this sounds like MMO game.

[DTK]~*2FazE*~
26th Nov 2001, 08:25 PM
by the time UW comes out my comp will be outdated then ill need to upgrade the mother to handle GIg cpu

J. Speed
26th Nov 2001, 10:14 PM
Yeah no doubt on needing an upgrade. Im going 1.3 MGHZ+ w/ an Anthlon XP hopefully soon! Plus many of the servers these days run on faster machines. If you dont have, guessing, 700 Mghz+ you may be in trouble online and a cable connection wont help much w/ a slow machine.