Teach Yourself Modeling! Part 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
Ok, today were gonna actually do somthing with our new skills.

Objective 11 - Creating a model
We are going to create a barrel! loads of fun. create a cylinder, 8 sides, 6 stacks. select the top vertices, and use vertex>snap together. repeat for the bottom ones. now, move them into the model, so they are a few units inside. scale the 3 center vertex groups out. then scale the middle group down a bit. this should leave you with a nice barrel form (compare with attached pic) and center it on the axises.

Objective 12 - Mapping your model
ok, we have to have some coords to skin with, so were going to export this model to a lightwave object (*.lwo). the next step it to import it to Lithium Unwrapper. (if you dont have it, check http://www.geocities.com/lithunwrap/ )
use Select>all, then tools>uv mapping>cylindrical>Y. Edit>Template>copy to clipboard, then paste it into your favorite art program. save the wireframe, and From LithUnwrap, save the model to a .obj file import the model to MS3D, and re-save. now, take some time to apply a skin to your model. its ok to paint outside the lines. after your done, resize it to 256x256, and decrease the colors to 256. save as a .PCX

Objective 13 - Applying your skin
Go to the materials tab, and click 'new'. fine the two <none> buttons, and click the top one. point it to your skin. now, go to groups. there should only be one object, if there more,regroup them to one. click on the group, anc click select. go back to materials, and click the assign button on the bottom. you should notice, your model is still grey. right click on the 3d view, and change the mode to textured.

Objective 14 - Importing your model
Center your model on all axises, then go file>export>Unreal/UT .3d save it as mybarrel. in your unrealtournament\system directory, edit unrealtournament.ini, and find the 'editpackages' lines. add a line fo the bottom of those lines, 'editpackages=Mybarrel'. now, make a new folder in your unrealtournament directory, called mybarrel. make 3 subfolders, Classes, Models, and Textures. in the classes folder, put mybarrel.uc. in the models folder, put the .3d files (should be 2 of them) and in the textures folder, put your texture. now, we need to edit the .uc file. open it up in notepad.
Change 'Class mybarrel expands actor;'
to 'Class Mybarrel expands StationaryPawn;'
wherever you see 'jtex1' change to 'Jmbrl'
change both 'texture1.pcx' to 'textures/' followed by the name of your texture (if your texture is called mybarltex.pcx, then use 'textures/mybarltex.pcx')
in the DefaultProperties section, add this line:
Physics=PHYS_Falling
Open up a Dos window, and type (where x is the drive UT is on)
x:
cd unrealtournament\system
Ucc make
open up UT, start a practice session, and type 'Summon mybarrel.mybarrel' if the barrel does not appear, look back through, or ask here. if you ask, please PLEASE post your .uc file!

Objective 15 - Class tricks
to make the first pallete entry transparent, add
Style=STY_Masked to default properties.
you can change the scaling of your model with the
#exec MESHMAP SCALE MESHMAP=mybarrel X=0.1 Y=0.1 Z=0.2
line.
you can change your offsets with the
#exec MESH ORIGIN MESH=mybarrel X=0 Y=0 Z=0
line.

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
says page is temporarily unavailable..
if one of you has the prog , could u attach it here plz? if it fits

EDIT:an old version will do.....

Lemoni

The Philosapher
Feb 17, 2001
members.lycos.co.uk
Originally posted by FireSlash
Geo****ties has limited bandwidth/day.
look for it on Google.com or maybe someone here will post it for you (i have a old version)

I had a account on Geos***ise
till they decided i wasn't good enough the refused my paswoord hey i didn't have any stuff up

simianangel

Aug 12, 2001
Delaware, USA
MAD PROPS TO FIRESLASH!!!!

I really appreciate what you are doing for the UT modelling community.
and i am sure many others do too.

When i first started out modeling for ut, i couldnt find much help anywhere, most of my skills came from my own trial and error.
it took me over 8 months non-stop just to get my first success. i think i may have lost my sanity while doing it. i had to let go of all rationality and just guess to make things work.
i think what you are doing here would have been a godsend for me and will make it POSSIBLE, if not easy for any newcommers to learn modelling.

many commendations on your efforts. you have my full support for anything you need!

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
I’m following along :D

In the past I have skinned characters manually in Milkshape by selecting polys then grouping them, and then arranging them in that popup texturing window, this new program looks to be a real lifesaver, wish I had known about it sooner.
:cool:

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
its axis is okay , it just spawns at whatever angle i was looking at the time.
im going to make a weapon today , and try and import it