PDA

View Full Version : How do i import a texture? *blush*

ZitherMan
12th Oct 2001, 05:09 PM
Ehh, i suddenly caught myself not knowing how to import a texture to *.utx format. Could anybody please tell me or give me a link to a tutorial?

I wanna import from a *.gif, *.jpg *.bmp or likely.

Raeled
12th Oct 2001, 05:59 PM
If you want to import a texture to an UTX file, Unrealed 2.0 will help you

in the texture brower, go in the menu to file and then import.

Select the file(s) you want to import, and then in the window the package is the filename. so if you give as package: "mytex" then your file will be called "mytex.utx"

The texture should be a PCX file with 256 colors, and it's sizes should be powers of 2 (1,2,4,8,..) but no bigger then 256.

navboy
12th Oct 2001, 06:02 PM
first go into photoshop or equivalent, make sure the pixel dimensions conform to powers of 2 up thru 256 (like 128x256 or similar) ...

then convert the image into 8 bit color mode (256 color pallette) and export as either .pcx or .bmp

Then in the texture browser Import the .pcx, give it a package name (*not* one of the standard UT ones, a new one), make sure mipmaps is checked (unless importing a screenshot for your levelinfo) and hit Okay. Then make sure the package you imported it into is selected and Save, this will actually save the package file.

Conversely, while importing you can give it the package name of "MyLevel", in which case no external package is created but instead the tex is saved in with the map. HTH

vlosk
26th Oct 2001, 11:01 PM
Nifty import tricks with Textures:

Mipmaps off is useful for hud textures and anything that is not part of a level or on a model. also, if it is a small image and should not be blurred through mipmapping / texture detail (ie a 1 pixel image) the same holds true.

Animation: simple name the base textures (the raw images) as follows: [name]_a00, [name]_a01, [name]_a02 ... [name]_a10 [name]_a11, [name]_a13... Then under the properties of the first texture (in the animation branch) you ca adjsut the speed at which the series plays. This is useful for movie clips as textures, rendered 3d scense, effect textures, blinking lights, or even a slide show type system.

PCX though smaller causes a bunch of problems for me unfortunately, so i prefer using an 8 bit bitmap. Simple take your image with power of 2 dimmensions (ie 128 / 128, 64 / 256, 32 / 16 etc) and save it as 8 bit, or with an indexed pallette of 256 colors. Simply import it into the utx file as a standard pcx image, and for high color images, 24 bit works as well.

For mod designers: a utx is a great place to load your textures from. simply make one beforehand, and import it (and all the texts) using a single objload statement int the exec lines. (don't have a syntax example here, but ut (specifically effect clases and weapons that have a scripted display) has plenty of examples.