PDA

View Full Version : insert cd please WTF//.....

[OF]candyman
24th Nov 1999, 02:20 AM
Please tell me they did not do this sh*t again....Anyone figured it out yet? I legally bought my copy and I would like to keep it from being destroyed by my 4 year old son. If I dont have to keep putting it in or just leave it in I can hide it from him....None of the old fixes work. Anyone figured it out yet? I figured hey what the hell just make a copy of it and put it in a good hiding spot but it wont let me copy it either..I have adaptec software anyone know where I can get the one called hmmmm something like cdwin (for coping cd's)
thanks in advance (they screwed up a good thing here) I love UT and in no way am flaming them but man I had to buy three copies of unreal before they eliminated this need cd thingy

DrAcO
24th Nov 1999, 04:13 PM
Candy man, you gotta remember that it was GT that put the cd protection in not epic.Remmber back in the ol unreal days when it first was out they had the same thing, but later on they(epic) took it out knowing how annoying and useless it was for those that were that presistant in getting it to work without a cd. I say just wait a while till they release a "patch" (here we go again) and remove it.
In the meantime, if oyu have the space on your hd you can alwyas copy the cd to a dir on your hd named something like UTCD than install the game from those files there into the default dir, and just let it sit there. I know that worked on uneal, haven't tried it on ut yet, this hasnt' gotten that annoying for me yet. Its worth a shot if its that big of a deal and you have the hd space. FAE

http://www.planetunreal.com/images/bullet2.gif
See ya, <3's FAE/JaK

[OF]candyman
24th Nov 1999, 06:27 PM
I tried that..my boy decided to add the second cd so I deleted (in explorer) The unrealtounamanet directory and copied the cd to the harddive and installed from there. It installed from there and even made the ini files say goto Utcd-1folder but it still requires the cd before every load..It may have been gt that put the cd check in it but I bet epic did the codeing that is required for it..maybe not but either way dam it is annoying!!!! I hope the first patch fixes this one!!!

Ding
24th Nov 1999, 08:58 PM
Check out the INI files or the registry. There should be a line defining the CD dir. Change that to the folder where you copied the disk and you should be fine.

Baulith
25th Nov 1999, 01:55 AM
Hi,

I am in the same boat except I have a daughter who has grubby little hands that likes to rough house with shiny objects.

1.) I have tried copying the cd to the HD then installing. Still requires CD to play.

2.) I have tried manipulating the *.ini files in the System sub-dir and still no success.

3.) I have tried searching the reg and really find nothing to the fact of checking a medium in HD or cd-rom.

I copied this software for back-up purposes with CD-Creator 4 and put it as a CIF first.

Now, I am going to try a cd-cd copy as well as a cut n paste to hd then copy to cd.

If anyone else finds a way to get around this for those that have truely purchased the product please let me know.

If I find a way to successfully produce a back-up I will do the same.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

IceStorm
25th Nov 1999, 03:43 AM
Guess I'll give it a shot with Norton VirtualCD (or whatever it's called) - I got a copy with each Soyo motherboard I bought.

I'll let you know what happens. It worked with Half-Life. Don't know if it will work with the CD protection on the UT disc. Perhaps copying it with the Safedisc cracks will work... Gotta dig up the info on that.

I fully sympathize with your problem. I'm getting annoyed with these games that do full installs, then make me stick in the CD to play. I didn't load out my game box with 30GB of drive space so that I would have to go find a silly disc to play.

[OF]candyman
25th Nov 1999, 06:24 AM
baulith email me...candy__man@hotmail.com or icq me (would be best) 473317 I figured out a way to stop little ones messing with our cds. You will want to hear this one!!!!

[OF]candyman
25th Nov 1999, 06:28 AM
check your email baulith...

SWITCH
25th Nov 1999, 07:32 AM
Dam no doubt! I'm frustrted as hell! I've tried all of the following and none of it has worked!

1) disk to disk copy - It kept telling me to insert a disk into the source drive (in other words it didn't know the UT cd was there.

2) Farstone Virtual Drive - When I atttempted to make the virtual disk file it would not recognize that the UT cd is in cdrom drive

3) I installed the cd from a mapped network cdrom and attempted to play and it prompted me for the cd

4) I created a burn copy using cut and past - installed just fine but when I went to play it same thing: insert cd. I noticed that if i put the cd in and select properties from my computer it report 630mb if I explore the cd and and select all it only report 611mb ? WTF DAM COPY RIGHT PROTECTION!

It really sucks for me because I have 3 pc's on a lan at my house...shouldn't I be aloud to play on all of them at once? Or is that a violation of the EULA?

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Voyd
25th Nov 1999, 08:02 AM
hey you guys should tell Epic about this. i am also annoyed at this stupid feature. i often listen to a music cd in my cdrom drive. then i decide to start playing some UT. but no...wheres that disc again. insert, remove, insert. bah...it sucks. i hope they take it away.

Choddo
25th Nov 1999, 08:29 AM
Yeah, its a pain for anyone who's bought the game legit, but if you look at the number of pirates who play Q2 for free cos you can just copy the files, you can understand how they'd like to get a little protection for their investment. GT have stuck by Epic through some pretty disgusting delays, and they deserve as much cash as they can get out of this. Besides, stop bitching, at least you've got a CD. In the UK we can't even get the damn game until next Friday /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Little-Zen
25th Nov 1999, 08:55 AM
just FYI because someone mentioned it up there... Epic didn't do any of the coding for the copy protection. it was all GT.

I *AM* The Little Zen Companion!

Voyd
25th Nov 1999, 09:19 AM
what i hope happens is that in a future patch epic releases the need to put in the CD. this would make sense becuase the original, out-of-the-box game would have copy protection, therefore already eliminating a major part of piracy from pewople who dont play online. and as for the online gamers, most of em will buy it or have already bought it so that a patch releasing the need for a cd wouldnt be that big of a deal. i mean, theres always gonna piracy of every game. people will hack the copy protection soon, its just a matter of time. it would just be better id Epic did it offically.

[OF]candyman
25th Nov 1999, 12:08 PM
Check your email guys...Merry Christmas from [OF]candyman

TheRock
25th Nov 1999, 01:31 PM
CandyMan The Rock was just going to say.
IF you want the CD-crack for UT.
To fix d3d performance and not need the damn cd. here is the Rock's ICQ number
9474056. The Rock will send it to you.

The Rock suggests that you uninstall UT.
Re-install Drop in the crack.
And then RUN IT for the first time.
IF you use a d3d card like the Rock does it will find the Card correctly this time.
The Safedisk Copyright protection hosed the
d3d configurator in UT. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
The Rock Says have a Happy Holidays.

The Rock is without a shadow of a doubt the most elecrtifying poster in PlanetUnreal Entertainment in the world today.

Baulith
25th Nov 1999, 05:47 PM
Hey you all,

Thank you all for your assistance in response and in listening to your rant. I hope the patch for UT will do away with this aspect.

Being able to play with music is a lot of fun and I do like that. Having to keep a cd for the game in the drive is a little stupid; however, I do understand GT's and Epic's desire to make some moola.

I hope in the end we can all 'just get along' and have what we want - which is a kick *** game without 'Please insert CD' when starting up the game.

Baulith

bongzilla
25th Nov 1999, 06:39 PM
For the person trying to play on a lan with one disc, just take it out once the game loads /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif. I know its still a pain in the *** though. Needing the cd for any multiplayer game is just crap.

IceStorm
26th Nov 1999, 12:12 AM
I'll know by the end of next week if UT is duplicatable or not.

In order to duplicate a Safedisk-protected CD, you need a CD burner that can write errors. Only certain burners can do this, from what I've read.

There's a duplication program out there called CloneCD - http://www.elaborate-bytes.com/english/corp/index.htm - they have a full list of what drives will work, as well as the drive's capabilities.

I need another CD-RW anyway, so I bought a Mitsumi CR-4802TE from AVLogic.com. It should be in my possession by the end of next week. I've already got a Toshiba SM-1212 DVD-ROM drive to read the Safedisc CDs, so we'll see what happens. I'll post more after I've tried it out.

This is actually cost-effective for me - the new CDRW drive costs as much as buying three backup copies of the three Safedisc protected games I have - Tiberian Sun, Opposing Force, and UT. It is a shame that legit purchasers of these titles have to go through so many hoops to get their games backed up so the masters can be tucked safely away.

Datred
26th Nov 1999, 02:05 AM
I also must say that the CD Protection sucks.
I love to listen to Metallica or something and that stupid CD Protection sucks. All GT has to do to fix Piracy is to keep the CD Protection on your game till you register it, then You get a Code to deactivate CD Protection on the computer. Can anyone send me a cd crack? Thanks.

Zaccix
26th Nov 1999, 02:37 AM
OK, UT isn't out until next Friday over here, and I was just wondering is this the same Safedisc protection that makes the CD drive spin up, spin down, then spin up again?

I hate it when my Tiberian Sun CD does that.

DrAcO
26th Nov 1999, 01:50 PM
Yea that was the link =) sorry about that, i was kinda out of it when i posted that =) FAE

See ya, <3's FAE/JaK

B_DAS
26th Nov 1999, 06:12 PM
Help!!! CandyMan Please send me this fix. This insert CD stuff sucks!!!!

~
Lis

Guinness
26th Nov 1999, 09:39 PM
FINALLY!
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!
Frag HAPPY!!!!!

TheWiggin
27th Nov 1999, 12:34 AM
hey freakout, thanks for that website, that gave me a chance to figure something out, ever since I bought the full version I've had trouble running the game because it would go off into Never Never Land about 9 out of 10 times and that one time it was because I had reinstalled my OS and drivers and the game

"Daniel" KaMi
27th Nov 1999, 11:09 AM
Just do what I do and always make a CD backup, then keep the original somewhere safe. You can treat the backup like crap and not worry.

kami

Guinness
27th Nov 1999, 10:15 PM
Any chance to get the URL for the patch again? LOST IT!!!!!
Thanks

Stallion
28th Nov 1999, 12:21 AM
The next person who posts the patch URL will have the post deleted and may be banned. The patch allows warez copies to be used with ease, and PlanetUnreal will not serve as a medium for distribution of illegal binaries.

Chris «Stallion» Lambert
clambert@gamespy.com (http://wwp.icq.com/16435685/)
ModCentral (http://www.planetunreal.com/modcentral/)/PlanetUnreal (http://www.planetunreal.com/)

DrAcO
28th Nov 1999, 01:34 AM
Whoa!! A tough guy ehh?! Wanna take this out in tbe bedroom?!! =) <kiss> J/k FAE

See ya, <3's FAE/JaK

[OF]candyman
28th Nov 1999, 07:10 AM
Stallion, I would never ever want anyone not to pay for a game or play it illegaly. The fix fixes 3 different things..one naturally the cd problem. two it fixes peoples problems while playing with an orb contoller. Three it fixes the d3d glitch with the installer. Any warez site (or people involved with warez) dont need this fix. (I am sure they can make one their selves if not they already have one by now) They can make a backup cd without it. You just gotta have the right cd players to copy the disc. I am truely sorry If this topic offends you but I have a true reason for worrying about my disc being destroyed and I for one do not like paying for a game three times (I did for unreal). Feel free to eliminate this topic...again I am sorry this (my) topic was never meant for anyone that would warez copies of games!!!

SWITCH
28th Nov 1999, 07:26 AM
Yeah what's the big deal Stallion? No one here has talked about making illegal copies for sale or any other use. We have the right to install the patch so we don't have to put the dam cd in every time. I would understand if we were all talking about making copies so we can sell them but that's not the case! We just want to be able to plan the game without all the hassles!

Take it easy big guy!

bootybandit
28th Nov 1999, 09:26 AM
Would someone be kind enough to email me the link to the CD-check crack? Thanks in advance.

bootybandit
28th Nov 1999, 11:55 AM
By the way, the post above is a legit request. I have paid retail for every game I own and believe that artists should be compensated for their creativity. I run off-site servers and do not wish to purchase multiple copies of the game just to be able to play on my own server. Copyright protection and encryption schemes only drive people to try harder to crack them and is an inconvience to casual users. Why bother?

Sniper Storm
28th Nov 1999, 12:01 PM
I took out the CD check on my game becausd I was sick of it checking the cd and I wanted to make a copy for myself. It was not that hard. E-mail me! SniperStorm@aol.com

Sniper Storm
28th Nov 1999, 12:08 PM
Make that SniperStormUT@aol.com

bootybandit
28th Nov 1999, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the response Sniper Storm but, I found it. Just wasn't lookin' hard enough. Found a way around the safedisk thing too.

[OF]candyman
28th Nov 1999, 03:01 PM
As far a legallity is concerned it is our right to make a backup copy of UT. Now if someone decides to copy it and give it away or even sell it that makes it illegal but by law we are allowed to make a backup copy of a program we bought and paid for.

Stallion
29th Nov 1999, 05:54 AM
Its not a matter of what you're doing with it, but the CD crack is what makes it possible for UT to be warezed. Without it, you can't warez it; with it, you can. As I said, PlanetUnreal will not serve as a platform for distributing any material which is illegal. If Epic doesn't give it to you, there's probably a reason.

Chris «Stallion» Lambert
clambert@gamespy.com (http://wwp.icq.com/16435685/)
ModCentral (http://www.planetunreal.com/modcentral/)/PlanetUnreal (http://www.planetunreal.com/)

DRT-LadyK*W
29th Nov 1999, 08:01 AM
If some one finds a way around the insert cd thing please email me and let me know. I have a 4 yr old and a 6 year old and they love to destory things on me. I really would like to keep my cd locked up away from there hands.

bootybandit
29th Nov 1999, 08:45 AM
If I'm allowed to legally make a functional back-up, and the distributor's media does not allow this, is it a violation of my rights as a consumer? Seems to me that this behavior could result in a class-action. GT should implement registration and allow registered users a key to permit the creation of a functional back-up. Or GT should provide two identical disks. Warez downloads are risky business and is not practiced by the majority. I suspect that most serious gamers respect game creators and are more than willing to support them. These protection schemes do less to prevent warez and do more to create animosity among loyal customers.........IMHO

End of rant.

Thrasher
29th Nov 1999, 11:56 AM
Candyman, ICQ me. It's (OF)Thrasher

***It's Only A Matter Of Time***
{OF}Thrasher

[OF]candyman
29th Nov 1999, 01:03 PM
On a plus side If for any reason your disc becomes unusable...Gt (or the makers) will replace that cd for I think fifteen dollars plus shipping. Although not exactly the best answer it is one I can live with.....Plus it is alot cheaper than buying the game again at full price. I feel that price still a bit high considering we already bought the licence it is a decient medium for all involved. Again I do not and will not ever support warez or pirating....I just want the inconvient tasks removed from the greatest game out there on the market today!!!!

bootybandit
29th Nov 1999, 08:51 PM
To candyman: Are the Old Farts recruiting? I think I qualify, just so long as good DM skills aren't important. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

SWITCH
30th Nov 1999, 01:48 PM
MADMAN is right the above does work but you'll still need the no cd crack to play the game! E-mail me and I'll send it to you if you need it.

IceStorm
2nd Dec 1999, 08:52 AM
I have successfully backed-up UT disc 1 to a CD-RW. No cracking needed, CD-check intact, but it's on a CD-RW, so I can tuck the master away.

Here's how:

1) Get a CD/DVD-ROM drive that can READ errors - Toshiba SM-1212 DVD-ROM, in my case.

2) Get a CD-RW that can WRITE errors - Mitsumi CR-4802TE, in my case.

3) Get CloneCD from http://www.elaborate-bytes.com/english/corp/index.htm - 10 burns for free, $70 for the proggie.

4) Create an image of the CD using the reader and CloneCD. Check off all the obvious options (Read protected discs, extra data, don't report read errors).

5) REBOOT. CloneCD doesn't seem to WRITE once you IMAGE something. Go figure.

6) Create a CD from an image, at 1x speed (MAX generated a write error - thank goodness for CD-RW, I just rewrote the disc).

7) Test the created image.

That's all there is to it. Legal owners of software - 1, SafeDisc - 0.

[This message has been edited by IceStorm (edited 12-02-1999).]

[This message has been edited by IceStorm (edited 12-02-1999).]

Lanik
5th Dec 1999, 12:32 PM
It works, but as soon as the new patch comes out (they say Monday), then we're back where we started.

This is quite annoying, I guess I'm stuck passing the cd around when we start planning on a LAN.

BillyBadAss
5th Dec 1999, 01:12 PM
There should be a patch soon. Everyone just needs to sit tight.