PDA

View Full Version : Yay, UW will be mo-cap animated!

Tetris L
11th Oct 2001, 12:37 AM
Read this press release by Epic. (http://www.voodooextreme.com/articles/epicgameschoosesviconmotioncapture.html)

I think we all remember the very impressive Karate scenes from the U engine tech demo (http://www.voodooextreme.com/article.taf?articleID=121). The most realistic animation I've seen in a computer game by now. It seems that Epic were just as impressed as we were and decided to buy a system. And why should they invest so many money if not for UW?!

Yay, Epic, make us all move as realistic as Lara Croft!! :)

UnrealGrrl
11th Oct 2001, 11:53 AM
dont know if i get the tech of it all... but i know what i see and i like what i see...
very cool newsage!

Tetris L
11th Oct 2001, 12:11 PM
Some interesting add-on info from the VE comments (http://www.voodooextreme.com/comments.taf?postID=21474):

Epic's Mark Rein pointed out that VE goofed with Mr. Root's name: "Our animator's name is John Root, not James Root." :)
3DRealm's George Broussard let us know that the price for Vicon 8i system is about $200'000.

BTW, does anybody have a download link to the other version of Epic's tech demo? The one with the german subtitles and the "© 2000 by Computec Media" at the end. That version had a lot more mo-cap karate scenes than the original! I've got it on HD, but I don't know where to find it on the web.

StormHammer
11th Oct 2001, 07:06 PM
Yes, I read about that mocap system. Veeeery nice. It sounds like they're really ramping up for their next game, which is pretty much assured to be Unreal Warfare.

I've seen that karate footage, and it blew me away the first time I watched it. That's the kind of fluid movement I'd love to see in every game from now on.

Based on their past efforts, I think Epic may be in a position to blow all the competition out of the water. :eek:

Kail
12th Oct 2001, 05:05 PM
Yeah, the animation in that piece of footage even beats the animation in the Final Fantasy movie. It's amazing that a game looks better than a big-budget movie.

Tetris L
12th Oct 2001, 06:47 PM
I'm uploading the other version of the tech demo right now. In a few minutes it should be here (http://www.unreality.org/cleaned/Download/u2-engine.mpeg). It has slightly different content: Some scenes are missing; but the mo-cap karate scenes and the facial animation scenes are much longer. Have a look; it's 14 MB.

IntRed
12th Oct 2001, 06:49 PM
much appreciated
makes you wonder what kind of production uw is going to be, they sure do expect a lot profit from it, and i'll be happy to give them some :)

UnrealGrrl
12th Oct 2001, 11:14 PM
cool, ill setup a dl before i hit the sheets and maybe itll be done by the time i wake up :)
tanx tetris!

@kuma
12th Oct 2001, 11:48 PM
the animation in those clips is stock mo-cap footage.

but mo-cap's characters look great :)

hal
13th Oct 2001, 02:46 AM
/me looks forward to seeing those models running around great third party maps.

hint hint. :D

Tetris L
13th Oct 2001, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by @kuma
the animation in those clips is stock mo-cap footage.
What do you mean by "stock"? Standard?

Sorry, English is not my native language.

Master_Blaster[MASTER
14th Oct 2001, 08:51 AM
I am english and i am not sure what it means. Must be an american thing.

@kuma
17th Oct 2001, 06:44 PM
"stock" meaning it's an animation set that's been done by some company and you can buy it to use with your characters in demo's. That's the beauty of skeletal animation.

Traditionalists have a stick up their ass about mo-cap but IMO it's a whole level of quality better than most hand animation

Tetris L
18th Oct 2001, 06:34 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Gotta agree about the quality of mo-cap. I have yet to see a non-mocap-animation that is anywhere near as life-like. Lara Croft's animation in TombRaider 1 still beats most nowaday games hands down, and that game is 5 years old now!

ravenus
18th Oct 2001, 01:25 PM
Mo-cap is good so long as a real-world person-type moveents are needed. With Alien characters (like say Orbb from Q3A), it'd still have to be done the traditional way.

Master_Blaster[MASTER
18th Oct 2001, 03:56 PM
unless they could hire an alein :P

Kail
19th Oct 2001, 02:31 AM
Yeah, but I've got one in my wardrobe. You can hire him if you wish. He's been unemployed for some time now and some work would certainly cheer him up :-).

Tetris L
26th Feb 2002, 10:57 AM
It was announced today (http://gopostal.com/pr/mocap.htm) that the U engine FPS game Postal² will use mocap animation! Sweet, this should be the first U engine game we see with this feature. :)

http://gopostal.com/mocap/mocap2.jpg

Prophetus
26th Feb 2002, 05:59 PM
Does she come with the system too?

/me goes off to purchase that system!

[IsP]KaRnAgE
26th Feb 2002, 06:11 PM
U engine is the engine of unreal and UT right?I always get confused...:)

RegularX
26th Feb 2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by [IsP]KaRnAgE
U engine is the engine of unreal and UT right?I always get confused...:)

Yes. U Engine = Unreal Engine. All the Unreal games are based off of different builds of the same engine. Lately the press has been calling it the "Unreal Warfare" engine, which is incredibly misleading.

rgx

I wonder if she wears that out on dates.

hal
26th Feb 2002, 07:53 PM
The press started calling it that because for a while... that's what it was called!

Tetris L
27th Feb 2002, 01:07 AM
That's what it's still called. Actually it wasn't the press but Epic themselves that called it that way, the "Warfare Engine" as the short version of "Warfare Generation of the Unreal Engine".

RegularX
27th Feb 2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Tetris L
That's what it's still called. Actually it wasn't the press but Epic themselves that called it that way, the "Warfare Engine" as the short version of "Warfare Generation of the Unreal Engine".

Well, that's what I mean. I had gotten the impression that the Warfare moniker wasn't really supposed to be for public consumption. Wasn't UW supposed to be a secret after all? But leaked it's been, and now not only are people confusing UT2, U2, and UC but they're wondering what the heck all this Warfare is about...

...now if someone would only compile a handy FAQ....:D

Course, it's all semantics anyway. Kinda like the difference betwen the Quake and Q2 engines. And how many times have we read how Half-Life is a Q2 based game? (which it isn't)

rgx

hal
27th Feb 2002, 01:39 AM
I don't know how secret it was supposed to be. I remeber seeing a .plan update of a Legend (?) mapper many months ago that had a screenshot of a map in progress. The Window Title was "Unreal Warfare Editor", and the map was either an Unreal2 map or a test map. Also, several times the engine was referred to as Warfare Engine by Epic/Legend employees.

Then a while back, I remember an interview with a Epic/Legend employee saying the engine is just called the "Unreal Engine".

Don't ask me to dig up all the interviews/pics. I don't want to. :p But I do remember those factors. All this leads me to:

Little bits of information parceled out by dozens of different people from two or three different companies leads to all sorts of misunderstanding, speculation, and misinterpretation. INFOGRAMES.... PLEASE... see to it that all the Official sites are updated. Release OFFICIAL information.

Tetris L
27th Feb 2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by hal
Then a while back, I remember an interview with a Epic/Legend employee saying the engine is just called the "Unreal Engine".

Don't ask me to dig up all the interviews/pics. I don't want to. :p
No need to do much digging. You know where to find all the info. ;) :

What engine will U2 use? What is the "Warfare" engine?

U2 will use the latest, much improved version of the Unreal engine, also known as the "Warfare" engine, modified by Legend in some respects (particles, model animation, …). Note that the Warfare engine is still the Unreal engine, just the latest generation! Strictly speaking it should be called the "Warfare generation of the Unreal engine".

Mark Poesch stated in this Q&A on UnrealCenter, published on August 30, 2001:

Q. A lot of people are wondering what the Differnce between the UW engine and the U2 engine is? Such as Niko 65 pointed out, not a lot of people know this, could you explain?

Mark’s Answer: Unreal II is based on the latest version of the Unreal engine - sometimes called the “Warfare engine” in the press and in the community. Many of our subsystems have been modified and augmented to an extent that our engine and Epic's are different. But, at its core, Unreal II is powered by the Warfare engine.

Epic's Mark Rein explained about this in this Interview on FGN Online, published 23 Jan 2001:

Q: Do you continually evolve the engine's technology and what is the Warfare engine?

A: Yes, the Unreal Engine is a constantly evolving product. The technology you're seeing in this build of the engine is the basis of what will power future Epic games including Unreal 2 (being developed by Legend Entertainment), an unannounced Xbox title and then eventually a game codenamed Unreal Warfare way down the road.

This is why you'll occasionally hear us or licensees refer to the 'Warfare' version just as we referred to the 'Tournament' version of the engine to represent the feature set of the engine built between the releases of Unreal and Unreal Tournament. The name of the engine is still the Unreal Engine but internally we'll refer to Warfare build xxx where xxx is the latest actual version number.

(Note: The "unannounced Xbox title" is UC, which was not announced yet at that time.)

Builts 0xx-3xx are the classic Unreal engine; builts 4xx-5xx are the "Tournament" engine, builts 6xx-7xx are the "Warfare" engine. The latest built available to licensees is 854. For both the Tournament and the Warfare engine at least the engine core code has been completely re-written, based on the experience with previous versions.

For more detailed information and news regarding the Unreal engine, check Epic's Unreal Engine News.

Originally posted by RegularX
Well, that's what I mean. I had gotten the impression that the Warfare moniker wasn't really supposed to be for public consumption. Wasn't UW supposed to be a secret after all? But leaked it's been, and now not only are people confusing UT2, U2, and UC but they're wondering what the heck all this Warfare is about...

...now if someone would only compile a handy FAQ....:D
UW wasn’t really leaked. Epic’s VP Mark Rein first mentioned that Epic are working on a game with that name about 1 year ago. If you wanna read all the facts about the game that are known to date, here (http://cleaned.beyondunreal.com/UWFAQ/UWFAQ.htm) is the FAQ that you asked for. :)

Fisherman's Friend
28th Feb 2002, 01:32 AM
Why didn't the Postal2 guys use Epic's studio? One would think that Epic has the best experience and equipment to make the format such that it is easy to implement into a U engine game?!

Prophetus
2nd Mar 2002, 02:00 AM
Actually, Tim confirmed the Unreal Warfare engine and possibly UW as a game to us last year too. It wasn't a leak.

RegularX
2nd Mar 2002, 02:25 PM
I had made the assumption it was leaked prior to announcement due to Rein's choice of words "Unreal Warfare is the title of our next game and one of our worst kept secrets" (from Tetris' faq)

But at any rate, the press doesn't do anything to alleviate confusion by swapping out names for what is really the same engine, especially when they use a name that doesn't have any reference for most people (hence the reason it's a frequently asked question)

Blues' posted recently an article that said the next Rainbow Six might use the Unreal 2 engine and that would it would be out for XBox. Some gamers posted confusion because they understood Unreal 2 wasn't coming out for XBox.

I guess the "warfare" name has been tossed out enough that it's becoming more clear, but people shouldn't necessarily need to do research to understand it when "latest Unreal Engine" or "latest technology from Unreal" or "enhanced Unreal Engine", etc. could do just as well. Calling it the "Unreal Warfare" engine may be technically correct, but so would calling it "build 836 of the Unreal Engine", and that would utterly confuse most people (but possibly less....hmmm....) There's enough brand confusion with U2/UT2/UC coming out all at the same time.

Sorry, this is ranting and officially wayy off-topic. I just wish game articles generally had about 3 more edits to them.