PDA

View Full Version : U2 Sniper non-hitscan?! (GC Screenshot)

Tetris L
8th Oct 2001, 01:48 PM
If these are sniper bullets, then this means that the U2 sniper rifle is NOT hitscan! Yay! :D

Image courtesy of Computer Games Magazine (http://www.cgonline.com).

NeoNite
8th Oct 2001, 01:55 PM
If so it rules
:)?

Tetris L
8th Oct 2001, 01:56 PM
Why does the text say "marines", in plural? I can only see one (plus the sniper, if it is one).

Telling from their size and their smoke trails, those sniper bullets look much more like rockets. :hmm: I hope the author wasn't just guessing. On the other hand: The Chaos:UT (http://www.planetunreal.com/chaotic/) mod had a non-hitscan sniper rifle and one that left smoke trails. Those sniper rifles were good fun and took a lot of skill to use, much more than UT's original sniper rifle. :):tup:

The Dopefish
8th Oct 2001, 02:38 PM
I have the magazine in front of me right now.

That is a rocket, it seems. I think the caption either refers to the guy on the ledge, or is talking about some guy that doesn't exist. ;)

Tetris L
9th Oct 2001, 02:15 PM
I don't know what the guys at CD magazine are smokin' and where they see a sniper on this screenshot, but I got confirmation that these two things are definetly not sniper bullets, but rockets. Case closed.

Damn, I would have liked the U2 sniper rifle to be non-hitscan. :(

UnrealGrrl
10th Oct 2001, 03:41 PM
well keep hope alive, ya never know...
seems like whoever wrote the picture caption was smoking some bad stuff :(

Kail
14th Oct 2001, 09:32 AM
What is hitscan?

It sounds to me like hits are determined when you click your mouse button instead of when the actual bullet (the 3D object) hits the target object and causes a collision which triggers the hit. Am I right?

That would mean that a sniper rifle would have a delay, a very short one but a delay indead. It might be noticed over great distances (2000 m) and with fast-moving targets.

Master_Blaster[MASTER
14th Oct 2001, 09:46 AM
Thanks, I was about to post that question.

Tetris L
14th Oct 2001, 09:47 AM
You got it right, Kail: "Hitscan" aka "Tracehit" = instant hit. There is no bullet flying, not even in slow motion mode.

If there is a bullet that flies at a limited velocity, then you have to aim ahead on moving targets, which takes more skill and makes it much more difficult to hit targets that are very far away. I helps a lot to balance the power of the sniper rifle. Like I said: The Chaos:UT sniper rifles were nom-hitscan and I liked that a lot.

Kail
14th Oct 2001, 10:36 AM
What about the Quake III railgun?

There is a delay from the moment one presses the button and the moment when the weapon fires, but is it hitscan?

Tetris L
14th Oct 2001, 10:46 AM
That would still be considered hitscan. There is no projectile flying. The firing is delayed, but the moment the weapon fires, it hits instantly.

On a side note: One more argument against hitscan sniper rifles: Aimbots. Sooner or later U2 will have aimbots. And a hit-scan sniper rifle makes them twice as dangerous. :(

Kail
14th Oct 2001, 10:58 AM
A non-hitscan weapon is as good as useless with an aimbot. For the aimbot to hit, the target must be stationary or the aimbot has to be able to track a target and also determine it's next location much like the targeting system in space combat sims such as Wing Commander and FreeSpace.

Corona-Device
16th Oct 2001, 12:21 PM
Those are clearly rocket launcher bullets :D

I love what they've done witht hat fog it's amazing. But the gun meshes still look crude. =o

Kail
16th Oct 2001, 04:30 PM
Yes, but I believe we'll see some major improvements of the gun meshes. If character models are 2500+ polys then I believe guns will be at least 300-400 polys if not even more.

UnrealGrrl
16th Oct 2001, 05:01 PM
yea the fog does really rock...
from what ive seen the weapons look better already, they can only improve by the time the game is out...

somewhat offtopic - speakin of weapons (and items) i always wondered, how come is it that the items seem to vary in size? like sometimes you die next to a weapon but it looks 5 times your player model size...

{-Dark/H\Fox-}
16th Oct 2001, 05:33 PM
Those looks like rockets... Not bullets... notice the flare behind them..

Tetris L
16th Oct 2001, 05:47 PM
Like I said: I got confirmation that these are rockets, not bullets.
The U2 sniper rifle is hitscan (unfortunatly :().

Kail
16th Oct 2001, 06:06 PM
So, who's in for making a non-hitscan sniper rifle mod ;-)?

grimstar
17th Oct 2001, 06:06 AM
Grant will be posting all the new Unreal II images featured in CGM up on Unreal2.com (http://www.unreal2.com/) once the next issue of CGM has been released. :)http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/icons/icon14.gif (High Res)

So you should all be able to get a closer look.

hal
17th Oct 2001, 06:22 AM
Oh cool! Those mag pics were kinda fuzzy when I scanned them in (which just made them fuzzier). There are still several left that weren't posted here... did anyone else scan them at ina or some other forum? I've got the mag, but I know it wasn't widely available... others might like to see.

Tetris L
17th Oct 2001, 06:38 AM
No, the images posted on INA were the ones that you scanned, hal. Don't bother scanning more (unless you're very bored ;)). We'll just wait 2 more weeks 'til the next month issue of CG is out and Grant puts them on u2.com. :)