No more MP3, RIAA strikes back

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Excelsiore

Binary Liberation Front
Mar 23, 2001
Sweden
www.geocities.com
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/22087.html

The music industry and its hired muscle, the Recording Industry Ass. of America, plans to step up its war against MP3 file sharing and CD ripping with campaigns targeting legal, technological and Internet access fronts, The Register has learned.

Last week, the RIAA hosted a secret meeting in Washington DC with the heads of major record labels and technology companies, plus leaders of other trade bodies and even members of the US senate.

Present, we are told by sources close to the RIAA, were Intel's Andy Grove; IBM's Lou Gerstner; Disney's Michael Eisner; Jack Valenti, head of the Motion Picture Ass. of America; International Federation of the Phonographic Industry chief Jay Berman; Vivendi Universal's Edgar Bronfman; AOL Time-Warner's Gerald Levin; EMI's Ken Berry; Sony's Steve Heckler; and from Bertelsmann, Strauss Zelnick.

Also present were the CEOs of Matsu****a and Toshiba, and senators Fritz Hollings and Ted Stevens.

The meeting's keynote was made by RIAA head Hillary Rosen. The drop in CD sales can be directly attributed to "the new generation of file sapping services", she said, and promised that her organisation would pursue the companies behind them vigorously.

What does that entail? According to Rosen, there are a number of tactics the RIAA will employ. First, she says, "we are working with sound card manufacturers to implement technology that will block the recording of watermarked content in both digital and analogue form". That will noble attempts to rip and distribute encoded material, but what about existing files and CDs? Step forward PC manufacturers, whose help the RIAA hopes to recruit to "find ways to block the spread of legacy content".

Register readers will recall the RIAA's attempts to prevent content distribution directly at the hard drive level through its Copyright Protection for Removable Media (CPRM) initiative, brought to light by The Register late last year. Such was the level of (entirely justifiable) anger at the prospect of the music industry say what users can and can't store on their own hard drives, that the plan was dropped, seemingly for good.

But not so. "The failure of the CPRM specification to be applied to computer hard drives was a giant step back for the publishing, music and entertainment industry," said Rosen, and promised to "develop a new specification that accomplishes what CPRM would have done."

In the meantime, the RIAA will be lobbying "our friends in Washington" for tougher laws that target "the hackers and file-sharers themselves", so clearly if you thought the controversial Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) was harsh enough already, think again. Indeed, the RIAA wants legislators to block any loophole in that law which can allow file-sharers to continue to distribute copyright material.

For example, Rosen wants the protection granted by the DMCA to ISPs from the infringing actions of their subscribers to be removed. If the RIAA gets its way, ISPs will be as guilty of copyright violation as their subscribers. "Because of the magnitude of the problem, ISPs can no longer be shielded from the wrath of the law," shrieked Rosen righteously.

Of course, Internet companies will have an even harder job of policing copyright infringement than the music industry has, undoubtedly leading to mass blocking of file-sharing software, preventing those applications' legitimate usage as much as their illegal usage.

Worryingly, legislation designed to protect computer users' privacy are likely to be tackled too. Disney chief Michael Eisner pointed out after Rosen's keynote that "privacy laws are our biggest impediment to us obtaining our objectives".

So too is the ongoing ease with which music recorded on today's CDs can be ripped onto listeners' hard drives. Rosen pointed out that trials of anti-rip technologies, such as Midbar's Cactus and Macrovision's SafeAudio have been "extremely successful", though we're not as confident as she is of the claim that "no one has been able to circumvent them".

The big labels are certainly keen on them. Vivendi Universal will be using anti-rip technology on all the discs it ships from Q2 next year. AOL Time-Warner will do the same in Q3 2002, following private and public trials with SafeAudio and Cactus between now and then.

All this points to a move by the major music labels - and undoubtedly the movie companies too - to do anything they can to halt the transfer and even the storage of copyright material without their explicit say-so, primarily by limiting content at source and using the law to block whatever material gets through the net. And if anyone's rights get in the way, well that's just too bad.

We'll leave the last, chilling word to Sony Music Entertainment's Steve Heckler: "Once consumers can no longer get free music, they will have to buy the music in the formats we choose to put out." You have been warned. ®

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
<center><b><h1>F<b></b>UCK!</h1></b></center>

Let's all pray we find a way around this. I guess there will always be IRC, albeit a harder task than turning on Morph (or similar P2P prog) and getting what you're looking for in less than 2 mins. However, the threat against ISPs seems to worry me the most. :( :mad:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The drop in CD sales can be directly attributed to "the new generation of file sapping services" ...
Sure a 25% increase in price doesn't alter the amount of CD's ppl buy one bit :rolleyes:

Average price here used to be fl 40,- (EURO 18,15) but now it's up to fl 50,- (EURO 22,69) ...

CyanideTriscuit

UScript hack
Jun 25, 2001
The Triscuit Zone
Visit site
First, she says, "we are working with sound card manufacturers to implement technology that will block the recording of watermarked content in both digital and analogue form".
:lol:

That might scare me if my ripping software had anything to do with my sound card. God, these people are dumbasses.

That HD bullshit is just that: bullshit. Now that I've got my beautiful 80 GB HD, I won't be needing a new one for a looooooong time. If they actually do go through with that and establish a new industry standard, you can guarantee that there will be companies continuing to manufacture "outdated" drives that allow ripping. If not, you can always import HDs.

Of, course, this assumes that hacker, crackers, et al. don't break this POS within a day. ;)

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
"Recording Industry Ass. of America"

that wasn't intentional or anything ;)

Wouldn't surprise me if major ISP's start to keep a blacklist of some kind for their own safety from the RIAA...

to anyone who tries to say how I can or cannot use things I've payed for:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Damn strait. If I want to listen to my CD's in my computer, I rip 'em. Why would I ever fu<b></b>cking want to take them from my car to my computer, and back, every single day just to listen to my music??? What about like my friend who has a CD-jukebox and wants to have copies in there and his car??? Users used to be able to make backup copies. Is that what they're trying to prevent? Stuipid companies. ggrrrrrrrrrrr......

oh get real :p

the "big name" sound card manufacturers will be smacked down by no-name brands that will sell there products without the watermark. Also there will be a bigger market for older cards. :p

they are holding back technology by trying to restrict our rights.

same with XP, I like XP as a OS but its "big brother" registration (which is only the registration, its not that big of a big brother) erks me enought so that I may not buy it either :hmm:

bahh..

Mr. Big corporation is not going to tell me what I have to buy. Thats my choice. some one needs to read up on how capitalism works. I create the demand, NOT you. If not Sony, I"ll buy a LG, if not a Sound Blaster, I'll get a Santa Cruz.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
You are missing the point phatcat.

the "big name" sound card manufacturers will be smacked down by no-name brands that will sell there products without the watermark. Also there will be a bigger market for older cards.

The SSSCA (Security Systems Standards and Certification Act) will outlaw non-approved hardware. It will be illegal to sell hardware that has not been approved by a specially created body (you guessed it, made up of media moguls). The text of the upcoming SSSCA legislation reads: "It is unlawful to manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide or otherwise traffic in any interactive digital device that does not include and utilize certified [DRM] security technologies."

Mr. Big corporation is not going to tell me what I have to buy.

He can, and he will.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
This is utter and complete bull****. Maybe they should outlaw radio too! And what about all those bands who use MP3's to reach their audience online? I can name about 20 that are unsigned and distribute their music in MP3 form! What about other formats? RAM, WAV, OGG, STT? How are they gonna stop those? :mad:

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
And that BS about making older hardware illegal? Like to see em try! How are they gonna tell anyway, aside from forcing you to register your PC online! There are soooo many loopholes here its scary.

What are they gonn a do though? Give me a nice fat check to buy a whole new system at twice the regular price because its 'certified'? Utter BS.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
Linux will also become illegal. These "certified [DRM] security technologies" would obviously be closed source, ultra secretive affairs. Every single line of code of linux is available to you or I to inspect, modify or distribute.

it would be impossible for linux to continue to exist under its current open/free license, and also support DRM.

CyanideTriscuit

UScript hack
Jun 25, 2001
The Triscuit Zone
Visit site
Geez, Mickey, stop being so pessimistic. The RIAA is blowing hot air out of their collective ass. Nothing that they will ever be able to do will stop the free flow of music. As for closed source... nothing is closed source if you know assembly language.

Whatever software solutions that they devise will be cracked, and whatever hardware solutions that they devise will be thwarted by holding on to old hardware or importing stuff from Europe or Asia. It would be insanely expensive to enforce the SSSCA, and it would be an even bigger failure than the current war on drugs.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
Well they truly are ****heads, the only reason i would by a CD would be to rip it so i can use it on my mp3 player, but if they make that impossible i'll never buy one again

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
The RIAA is blowing hot air out of their collective ass.

Just like they were when they used their power to force the DMCA through huh?

If they want the SSSCA to happen enough, it will.

so keep your pants on, your Sound is not in danger. and if it is, just write, protest, or whatever it takes.

Again, there were relatively big protests against the DMCA in the US and the RIP act in the UK, and look how much good that did.