PDA

View Full Version : New coding reference site. (Please Everyone read)

Euphoric Beaver
7th Oct 2001, 03:49 PM
A new coding reference site has just been opened which plans to be an entire function reference. Like rand and stuff. :D

Now I can see you clicking the back button about now but please read on.

Each function has the following descriptions;
Class:
Complete function definition:
Description/summary:
Example code:
Contribute by:

There is big search function aswell, which can search by word or class.
There is also an offline version that gets all the entries and puts them in a big document for you. :)

Now although this proberly isn't much use to veteran coders it's very useful for noobs starting out and I feel alot questions would be answered once this site gets lots of contributions. :)

So yes since this site has just started out it needs your help to send contributions. Please help....

navboy
8th Oct 2001, 12:07 AM
um, and where is this site?

the banner link at the bottom took me to a site that a link to smattering of UScript stuff, but nothing like what you described ... Did i miss something?

Euphoric Beaver
8th Oct 2001, 02:08 AM
:lol: I can't believe I forgot to give you the address. :D

Here you go....
http://www.unreal.co.za/shrimp/tutorials/script/functions.php?sortby=function&class=Object&search=

navboy
8th Oct 2001, 11:33 AM
out of curiosity, what database software was used for this site? i've been using Perl cgi scripts with MySql and want to learn php and wonder what a typical (cheap/free) setup might be?

Euphoric Beaver
8th Oct 2001, 01:49 PM
:hmm: Dont know anything about .php

ca
8th Oct 2001, 09:53 PM
Why not just write a simple parser to dump the UT class heiarchy in your database first, and then have people add in comments/explanations as they want...?

The benefit being that you could easily/quickly add in new content for the various licensees as they ship their games - that is if you planned on expanding this to cover more than just UT.

Papapishu
9th Oct 2001, 08:04 PM
I know (allmost) everything about PHP.
c'mon ask me a question.
I can tell you that you can get a webserver with PHP and MySQL completely free (except download cost ofcourse)

(I once made a "object-tree-generator" for UScript in PHP, but it didn't work out well, since it should have processed over a thousand files, and it took over 30 seconds, the timelimit for a page to load...)

navboy
10th Oct 2001, 01:26 PM
more than anything i just wondered what kind of database people commonly used with php at the low-cost end of things ...

php i'll just buy a book and start building something and learn it that way, but wondered if there's a better choice than MySql out there to go with it; i was feeling rather limited with MySql unless it's changed significantly in the last year.

aspie
11th Oct 2001, 05:47 AM
active server pages with access databases all the way

navboy
11th Oct 2001, 08:51 AM
well, i'd probably pick it up quickly, since i've written several frontends and other programs using Access and VBA, but for now i've avoided asp ... Most of the asp sites i visit are wrought with errors and problems, and they're incredibly slow. Probably learn asp when time affords, maybe let it evolve some. Perl's still my favorite but i guess i need to learn some less platform-specific ways of doing things.

Hugh Macdonald
19th Oct 2001, 06:41 AM
I've always been a fan of a php/mySQL combination - when I was first looking, it was the only one that I could get for free (running on a server at uni)

clambert
19th Oct 2001, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by papapishu
I know (allmost) everything about PHP.
c'mon ask me a question.

:D
If I have a script containing the following lines:
<?
print "this is";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "cool";
?>
And I wanted to page to only render one line at a time, pausing 2 seconds between each line, what's the best way to do it? :-)

clambert
19th Oct 2001, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by aspie
active server pages with access databases all the way
There's no better way to kill a site. :-)

ca: I like you're suggestion about dumping the UT class heiarchy... is that something you'd want to do on chimeric?

ca
19th Oct 2001, 04:33 PM
Yeah, that'd be a nice bit of reference to add to the site. Of course this means I have to find some free time to do it, and I still have a lot of catching up to do as it is... :)

Graeme
4th Nov 2001, 09:48 PM
I used to use ASP/Access, but I use PHP/MySQL now and I like it a lot more... It's faster, and in my opinion PHP is easier to code once you're used to it.

I'm making a UT site right now. I'm using PHP/MySQL to make a Forum script. And I already have the news, tutorials, and files databases fully setup and scripted.

I just have to wait for my god damn host to start working again :D