New coding reference site. (Please Everyone read)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
A new coding reference site has just been opened which plans to be an entire function reference. Like rand and stuff. :D

Now I can see you clicking the back button about now but please read on.

Each function has the following descriptions;
Class:
Complete function definition:
Description/summary:
Example code:
Contribute by:

There is big search function aswell, which can search by word or class.
There is also an offline version that gets all the entries and puts them in a big document for you. :)

Now although this proberly isn't much use to veteran coders it's very useful for noobs starting out and I feel alot questions would be answered once this site gets lots of contributions. :)

So yes since this site has just started out it needs your help to send contributions. Please help....

ca

CHiMERiC Grandmaster
Oct 11, 1999
www.unrealscript.com
Why not just write a simple parser to dump the UT class heiarchy in your database first, and then have people add in comments/explanations as they want...?

The benefit being that you could easily/quickly add in new content for the various licensees as they ship their games - that is if you planned on expanding this to cover more than just UT.

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
I know (allmost) everything about PHP.
c'mon ask me a question.
I can tell you that you can get a webserver with PHP and MySQL completely free (except download cost ofcourse)

(I once made a "object-tree-generator" for UScript in PHP, but it didn't work out well, since it should have processed over a thousand files, and it took over 30 seconds, the timelimit for a page to load...)

more than anything i just wondered what kind of database people commonly used with php at the low-cost end of things ...

php i'll just buy a book and start building something and learn it that way, but wondered if there's a better choice than MySql out there to go with it; i was feeling rather limited with MySql unless it's changed significantly in the last year.

(OT tangent)

well, i'd probably pick it up quickly, since i've written several frontends and other programs using Access and VBA, but for now i've avoided asp ... Most of the asp sites i visit are wrought with errors and problems, and they're incredibly slow. Probably learn asp when time affords, maybe let it evolve some. Perl's still my favorite but i guess i need to learn some less platform-specific ways of doing things.

clambert

Jul 18, 1999
Boston, MA
Originally posted by papapishu
I know (allmost) everything about PHP.
c'mon ask me a question.
:D
If I have a script containing the following lines:
PHP:
<?
print "this is";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "very";
print "cool";
?>
And I wanted to page to only render one line at a time, pausing 2 seconds between each line, what's the best way to do it? :)

clambert

Jul 18, 1999
Boston, MA
Originally posted by aspie
active server pages with access databases all the way
There's no better way to kill a site. :)

ca: I like you're suggestion about dumping the UT class heiarchy... is that something you'd want to do on chimeric?

ca

CHiMERiC Grandmaster
Oct 11, 1999
www.unrealscript.com
Yeah, that'd be a nice bit of reference to add to the site. Of course this means I have to find some free time to do it, and I still have a lot of catching up to do as it is... :)

Graeme

back from the dead
Oct 4, 2000
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I used to use ASP/Access, but I use PHP/MySQL now and I like it a lot more... It's faster, and in my opinion PHP is easier to code once you're used to it.

I'm making a UT site right now. I'm using PHP/MySQL to make a Forum script. And I already have the news, tutorials, and files databases fully setup and scripted.

I just have to wait for my god damn host to start working again :D