VSYNC-- What is it, and what does it do?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
/me loves Vsync

Vertical Retrace (VSync) is a signal that occurs once per screen refresh, when the electron beam on the monitor starts drawing a new frame from the top-left corner of the screen. Usually all programs wait for Vertical Retrace to occur and then flip front and back buffers. This eliminates any "tearing" effects on the screen and results in a steady image being shown. If VSync is disabled, the programs do not wait for the electron beam to finish updating the previous frame but can change in the middle of the refresh, as soon as the back buffer image has been rendered completely.

Basically, it's an image quality feature and usually syncs your framerate to an absolute. Great for screenies (e.g., image quality tests) and just general play (if you have good HW), bad for benching. If I turn it off for UT I notice an unbelievable amount of "tearing", especially when turning 180°. Hope this helps. :)

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
That sounds like a good idea... I'm getting an average of about 45 now, but I've seen the so called "tearing". Not only does it confuse me in dark areas, but I can't see at a distance without a big red line across my field of view.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
It's when the top part of the screen is one frame and the bottom is another. It causes a visible difference in the display of the top half of the screen and the bottom.

Aeris

K.O.S (Determination)
Aug 9, 2001
Basking in African sun
Yeah when you move your mouse 180 degrees the top and bottom show diffrent frames, its only a spilt secont type thang.
Has never really botherd me, I dont get it too often. :D