Trash the Desert Eagle !?!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[b][size=6]Should we keep the Desert Eagle?!?![/size][/b]

• [img]http://phatcat.animedominion.com/de-yes.jpg[/img]

Votes: 51 56.7%
  • [img]http://phatcat.animedominion.com/de-no.jpg[/img]

Votes: 39 43.3%

• Total voters

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Is it possible we had this discussion a few times before?

I'd say scrap it. It ain't milspec, it isn't suited for military service, and I personally dislike it..(last one is no real reason..)

Drop it when the SOCOM is introduced, so larger caliber fanatics have something to play with..

Snakeye :D

Battosai

The Great Southern Thread Killer
Jun 6, 2001
Roaming
Do you think the team will just do away with all the time and code it took to put the de in the game?

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
They also scrapped the AT4 - though to different reasons.
I suppose that future versions might have updated models and skins of in-game weapons, like the new Beretta model.
Updateing the DE would mean to put more work into a gun, which quite a lot at this MB dislike and of which even some team members think it should never have been in.(though there's also a big number of DE fans around here..)
Now if it isn't updated anymore, it will look bad in future versions, hence it should rather be dropped.

IMO the DE doesn't belong into any realism mod, but since all the previous threads about dropping the DE didn't change anything, I suppose this one won't do anything too.

Snakeye :D

Battosai

The Great Southern Thread Killer
Jun 6, 2001
Roaming
Hey Snakeye i gotta question. Isn't or wasn't the DE used by Israel military????

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Hrm.

I suppose it is the .357 version. I guess I can live with it.

The difference between it and a SOCOM in power terms will be pretty negligable (especially since the SOCOM is DA and should fire faster), so why not?

When they add armour, they could put in differences in penetration.

BrownyMan

Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?
Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
WellÉ

There is no logical/practical reason to take it out. None.

It isn't milspec: So what, who cares if ONE weapon in the Inf arsenal isn't milspec. It's not like there's a written in stone law that says you can't include a non-milspec weapon.
You just should because I think so: I've been told mine's a subjective opinion

And further the more why would anyone in their right mind want to decrease the variety of weapons in a mod regardless of reasonsÉother than balance, that for which the Desert Eagle posses no context for removal.

IMO it's the best looking skin of any weapon I've seen in Unreal Tournament. Whoever skinned the DEagle did the best skinning job I can remember, just look at these and tell me which is the best:

First up, Infiltrations Desert Eagle:
Shot0045.jpg

Second Tactical Ops Desert Eagle:
fdeagle.jpg

Thirdly Strike Forces Desert Eagle:
K-DE02.jpg

Fourthly Counter-Strikes Desert Eagle:
eagle.jpg

Fifthly Firearms Desert Eagle:
weapon_de.jpg

And yes, even though some of them are good, none of them have the detail that Infiltrations does.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
There is no logical/practical reason to take it out. None.

The fact that Infiltration prides itself on military realism is reason enough to remove the DE.
If the INF team weren't such sticklers for realism than they would have kept the M3 and just made it semi-only instead of replacing it with the M1. Instead of just lowering the price of the PSG-1 they're replacing it with the MSG-90.

None of those are changes are logical or practical. But they were made because they were in the spirit of INF.

BrownyMan

Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
WellÉ

The reason that the changes are being made it too balance out gameplay a bit. As far as I can tell the Desert Eagle doesn't disrupt anything.

GenoOfTheCrayon

l33t 14 year old with an iron sight RC50
Sep 30, 2001
Middleof Nowhere
Visit site
Why should we remove such a great weapon? When I hold, I have a feeling of power as if i could go to a war and come back a hero with only my little DE. So it's against the "spirit" of INF. So what? If the SOCOM is going to replace it then just make the DE armor piercing when armor does come out. Then there will be a purpose for it in the later versions. But for now, It has the most power of any sidearm in INF right now and it as great accuracy. The feeling of one in your hand makes you feel invincable to that other guys AKSMU /w drum. PSG1 also has a reason for it being removed, so does the Benelli M3. PSG1 is too pricy, so they're turning it into another gun while they're at it. Benelli M3 shotgun is being replaced because it's model isn't right, so they will just change that while they're at it too. So, I just say, keep the DE. There's alot of fans out there who'd be outraged if the most powerful sidearm was taken away.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
They load for me once in a blue moon.

And I voted in favour of the DE, for reasons cited above.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
Im not keen on removing my favorite hand pistol for starters.
using the socom as a replacement for a DE is like replacing a humvee with a kia.
(yea they both get the job done, but one lacks "wang" :p )
its especially disturbing when you could have both weapons, that you want to remove one.

fyi, Im also against the removal of the psg.
its not that I dislike the replacement, but we're long overdue to get an extra sniper rifle.

Far as the de supposedly not being a milspec weapon, this is just one more reason for me to remind everyone how much I dislike milspec used as a weapons inclusion rule. its too inconsistent.
I dont think that rule of thumb caters to this groups tastes.
I know for sure it dosent agree with mine.

Quite a few people have said de's been issued and used in combat befor.
if thats true, its good enough for me.

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
Nah. Just skin it black or something. Just because the military doesn't use it, doesn't mean we can't have it in. That's my excuse for wanting the g11. After the g11 and fixing of the eagle, I'll be happy.

"Pikachu, I chose you!"
"PK7, I choose you." Bang
"Squitle, Charmander, attack!"
"PK7 evolved into DESERT EAGLE!"

BrownyMan

Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
WellÉ

Actually the German Bundeswere, used the G11 back in the day, but they stopped using it for some reason, I love the G11 and if I didn't think we should get the New Berreta M9, the H&K MSG-90 and the Benneli M1 Super 90 in first, I would say add the G11 in 2.87 if you can and if not in 2.87.5 or whatever version comes next.