Don't make me sick.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
Epic, Legend, or whoever owns them has the right to not want their unfinished work floating around the web.

Planet Unreal and any other web site has the right to try to assist the above in keeping it from spreading.

BUT PUUUUUULLLLLLEASE don't try to give us a lecture on morals.

People want this game more than any other game ever. I bought a Geforce 3 months ago for one reason only, so I'd be ready for Unreal 2 when it came out.

I haven't played the pre alpha nor do I know where to get it. But make no mistake.... if I knew where to download it, I'd be downloading it right now no matter how big the file was or how slow the server was.

To equate that to stealing is insane. I AM GOING TO BUY THE GAME THE DAY IT COMES OUT NO MATTER WHAT. So will everyone else who has downloaded the pre alpha. Epic, Legend, whoever else are going to get their money.

As a matter of fact... if Epic were smart.... they'd go ahead and start selling the game right now. Charge 60 bucks a pop, with free upgrades as the game progresses. Let's face it, everyone does that to some extent now anyway. When's the last time you bought a finished game that didn't have a patch within a month of its release?

If Epic started selling the game now.... they wouldn't have to wait to start making money off it. They wouldn't have to worry about the deadline nearly as much. They wouldn't have to leave out features because they have to get the game out the door and start making some money off it.

I don't even care if there were only one level, or even half a level, I'd buy the game right here and now if I could.

So don't tell all us loyal fans that bought Unreal, Unreal Gold, and Unreal Tournament.... the very people that made it even possible to make an Unreal 2.... that we are morally bankrupt thieves if we download this 'stolen' pre alpha. Anyone who says they wouldn't is either a liar or not a fan. (Go ahead liars, make yourself look like an idiot and start replying how you wouldn't. Everyone who reads your post will be thinking, "What a friggin' lying 'tard.")

So while I understand PU's stance in assisting Epic, save the boyscout speeches for your mom.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
A general remark: Was it really necessary to start a new thread about it when there is already a thread about the exact same topic a few lines down the list of topics.

The opinions about the alpha even among hardcore Unreal fans vary widely. Some few claim that they don't do anything wrong at all when they download and distribute it. Many see that strictly reading the law they do something illegal, but they still do it because they love the game and feel that they don't do much harm. Another large group say they don't even want to download it because they don't wanna spoil their expectations for the game by looking at something raw. Another group say they don't download it because they feel it not only illegal but also immoral and respectless to Legend. All of these groups (except the 1st one IMHO) have good arguments pro and against. This case isn't black or white. It's all shades of grey.

Originally posted by Dances with Flak
As a matter of fact... if Epic were smart.... they'd go ahead and start selling the game right now.
That's so totally stupid, you can't possibly be serious about it.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Epic, Legend, or whoever owns them has the right to not want their unfinished work floating around the web.

Planet Unreal and any other web site has the right to try to assist the above in keeping it from spreading.

Absolutely right.

Who's lecturing?

People want this game more than any other game ever. I bought a Geforce 3 months ago for one reason only, so I'd be ready for Unreal 2 when it came out.

I haven't played the pre alpha nor do I know where to get it. But make no mistake.... if I knew where to download it, I'd be downloading it right now no matter how big the file was or how slow the server was.

That would make you a thief, then.

To equate that to stealing is insane. I AM GOING TO BUY THE GAME THE DAY IT COMES OUT NO MATTER WHAT. So will everyone else who has downloaded the pre alpha. Epic, Legend, whoever else are going to get their money.

As I've said before, those who were going to buy U2 upon its release would probably still do so even if this alpha wasn't leaked. This point is irrelevant.

As a matter of fact... if Epic were smart.... they'd go ahead and start selling the game right now. Charge 60 bucks a pop, with free upgrades as the game progresses. Let's face it, everyone does that to some extent now anyway. When's the last time you bought a finished game that didn't have a patch within a month of its release?

You've got to be kidding me, right? You're saying that Epic and Legend should release an unfinished, buggy game and present it as the finished article? I'm sure your school teachers praised you for handing in incomplete homework, or don't you have any memory of school?

If Epic started selling the game now.... they wouldn't have to wait to start making money off it. They wouldn't have to worry about the deadline nearly as much. They wouldn't have to leave out features because they have to get the game out the door and start making some money off it.

Yeah, and by declaring the game as finished and ready to be sold (which in this case would be the same thing), they'd be under the scrutiny of magazines, websites and the general public. I wonder how many marks over zero U2 would get in its current state. You clearly have no idea of how these things work. Look at Tribes 2. It was pushed out early by Sierra, 6 months early. The constant patching of the game and overall problems it's had have become a farce.

You also don't have any idea of the creative effort that goes into a game such as Unreal 2. It's not just all about money and selling the game. Game studios such as Legend treat their work as art, as a team-based creative process. It's the distributors who look at the bottom line, not the studio.

I don't even care if there were only one level, or even half a level, I'd buy the game right here and now if I could.

"A fool and his money are easily parted".

So don't tell all us loyal fans that bought Unreal, Unreal Gold, and Unreal Tournament.... the very people that made it even possible to make an Unreal 2.... that we are morally bankrupt thieves if we download this 'stolen' pre alpha. Anyone who says they wouldn't is either a liar or not a fan. (Go ahead liars, make yourself look like an idiot and start replying how you wouldn't. Everyone who reads your post will be thinking, "What a friggin' lying 'tard.")

Go on then, call me a "friggin' lying 'tard" for not wanting to assist in the theft of stolen property; because I don't want to spoil the experience by downloading a 10% finished build of the game. You call yourself a loyal fan? I'm guessing not, because you sure don't have a shred of respect for the hard work of those who make it possible for you to sit on your computer and play these games.

So while I understand PU's stance in assisting Epic, save the boyscout speeches for your mom.

All you seem to understand is greed. So, you're saying that we, and by we I mean those who want to see a well-made Unreal 2, shouldn't be speaking up against the blatant theft that is caused every time someone downloads the alpha?

Read the other thread about this (which you seem to have conveniently sidestepped in order to get some attention) and Prophetus' post near the bottom of page 1. He mentions how crackers and cheaters can now get hold of the U2 alpha code, root through it and perhaps discover how to make a great aimbot, or just steal ideas for themselves, the same way they stole the alpha in the first place. When U2 is out, I'll be the first to call you a hypocrite if I see one post from you condemning a U2 aimbot.

Legend can try to contain the spread of the alpha by shutting down sites where it's available for download, but they know that they can't totally stop it spreading. No-one can actually stop you from downloading the alpha, but by doing so it just shows your total lack of respect for Legend's work. And you call yourself a true fan? Bull...

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
k, time for my opinions on this:
That would make you a thief, then.
you are not going to tell me, you never ever had an illegal copy of some sort of software

You're saying that Epic and Legend should release an unfinished, buggy game and present it as the finished article
i know tons of examples of games you described as being unfinished, buggy, as you stated tribes 2, even ut had its bugs (though limited)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars

OH BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT don't worry about that big mouth.. :)

The way I see it... anybody who doesn't understand the hard work people put in when creating a game, even if it takes them over a year, maye 2 or the "when it's done" style --> dukenukem forever.. probably has no problem finding and dling the unreal2 alpha.

I admit, I clicked the link someone had put it with SCREENSHOTS of an alpha version from Unreal2.. but I didn't realise at that time it was stolen property, which makes it not ok to view.

Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
Think outside the box for a second...

Someone said, "That's so totally stupid, you can't possibly be serious about it."

Another person said, "You've got to be kidding me, right?"

I'm not kidding and there is nothing stupid about it. It is a simple fact that games get released every single day that are not complete. Look at UT for example... How many patches did UT get? About one a week it seems like there for awhile. Epic not only fixed bugs with the patches, they also added features. They even released a number of map packs for UT after the release.

Another sad fact is that everyday games are released minus some really cool features because there simply was not time to implement them. Game companies do work on a deadline, from the day they start work on a game they know when it has to be out the doors. If a feature doesn't look like it will be completed in time, it gets the axe. This is because the whole time the game is in development, money is being poured into the project without any money coming in.

However, what if the game was making money before it was even complete? There wouldn't be the great need to get the game out the door fast to start seeing a return on their investment. They could take all the time they needed to implement all the features that will make the game great.

When whoever started throwing words like 'stupid' around, he should have been more careful as it often comes back to you in spades.

Just weeks ago ID released a public test for Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It was downloaded hundreds of thousands of times the very first day! This was far from a complete game, it was one multiplayer level only. Yeah, sounds to me like most people just want to wait for the finished product. Stupid me.

Let's say ID didn't release the multiplayer test, let's say they instead started selling RtCW. Everyone knows they are going to buy it anyway, they've been looking forward to it for years. Why not go ahead and buy it now and just apply updates as they are completed? There quite simply is no reason not to. You can start playing the game you've been waiting forever for now instead of waiting another 6 months to a year. Everytime an update is released it will be like Christmas all over again. And quite frankly you will have a leg up on all the losers who are waiting to read the hundreds of reviews that say the same old tired, "Best game I've ever played." over and over again.

And all those people saying, "I wanna wait for the final release so that I can play it all at once and not ruin it."

A) You can't play it all at once. Let's say there were only 10 solo player levels (I'm sure there will be more). You would need 10 computers and 20 hands to play all the levels at once, and it wouldn't make much sense that way anyway.

B) Did you tape each episode of Seinfeld so that you could watch them all at once at the end of the season? I didn't think so.

C) I suppose if Epic asked you to help beta test U2 you'd turn them down, give me a break.

D) I suppose if you were at E3 and Epic offered you a press pass to see the private backroom demonstration of U2 you'd turn them down and tell them to give it to someone else.

Simply put, way more than half the people that will buy U2 would buy U2 V 0.1 today. Epic wouldn't have to wait another 6 to 12 months to start showing a profit on it and the fans wouldn't have to wait that long to get their hands on it.

Please note: nowhere did I ever say that, "Epic and Legend should release an unfinished, buggy game and present it as the finished article? I'm sure your school teachers praised you for handing in incomplete homework, or don't you have any memory of school?"

I don't know about him, but my teachers never required me to hand in a years worth of homework at the end of the year. I pretty much had to turn in homework every day. As for presenting it as finished, I never said that, I never even said anything that sounded like that. HOWEVER, Apple did just that with OS X and people ate it up with a spoon. PEOPLE EVEN PAID MONEY TO BETA TEST OS X!!! Full well knowing that they would have to pay the full price of OS X when it was complete. LOTS OF PEOPLE. Then, just as an added kick to the teeth, Apple is charging TWENTY BUCKS for the update that actually makes OS X a finished product.

So as you can clearly see, I haven't suggested anything extreme or beyond the bounds of reality.

1. EVERY game gets a patch these days, therefore NO game is actually complete when it ships. "We'll fix it in a patch, now let's get it on the shelves." is the game development motto.

2. Hundreds of thousands of people downloaded ONE and only ONE multiplayer level of RtCW the first day it was released.

3. Millions of people PAID MONEY to beta test OS X.

4. MILLIONS of people bought the OS X release knowing it wasn't quite finished.

5. MILLIONS of people are going to pay another twenty bucks for the update that actually completes OS X. AND THEY LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT AND WILL TELL YOU APPLE IS THE BEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD!

So perhaps the person that likes to call other people stupid should take a look in the mirror, read about what's going on in the world, and get in touch with reality.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
yeah i have to second that, the alpha thing has gone a bit to far imo, i mean not looking at it cause its stolen property :rolleyes:
i can easely say that all of you have or are in one way or another using illegal software or copied software, this reminds me of a saying: (though badly translated)
He who is without sins may throw the first stone
and i'm sure that no-one here is entitled to throw a stone

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
No cause if it would hit someone he or she would probably get injured and then we would have to take them to the hospital and then we'd be in one hell of a mess...

Oh oh spaghetti ooooooh :D

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
Dances With Flak, there's is one huge gaping flaw in your whole argument, along with a whole lot of smaller ones.

Unreal 2 is a single player experience first and foremost. If the game were released right now, characters, maps, models, triggers, and stability would be missing. The game would crash, thousands of people would complain about how their computer should be able to play the game at 150 fps but it won't.

Unreal was about atmosphere. Its one of my favorite games of all time because you felt like you were there. How would it feel to reach the end of the hardest level in the game only to have it crash because the boss hasn't been implemented yet. Releasing Unreal 2 when its only half done would be a huge mistake. Take a good look at Tribes 2, that game was much farther along than U2 is right now, but it was still released early. It was unplayable for a large percentage of users because of its bugs. It only reached playable status in July (was released in April).

Now if you realize how bad a situation like that would be for a single player game, then you might begin to understand why you're so wrong. When I pay $50 for a new game I expect a finished product, that's why I'm paying for it. The excuse that "everyone else is releasing games early" is about as poor as it gets.

I want my Unreal 2 finished.

Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
Nobody said YOU would have to buy it.

I think a few people here read on a 3rd grade level. I NEVER SAID RELEASE IT NOW AND SAY IT'S DONE.

What I said several times now is that there is so much demand for this game that hundreds of thousands of people would buy the game before it was even done. Even if there were just a couple solo levels and one multiplayer level.

That does not mean that I think everyone in the world would buy it before it was finished. If you're so worried about it having bugs in it then you should wait a year after the final release so that all the bugs can be fixed with patches.

Obviously they would have to make it VERY VERY clear that it isn't a finished product so that people like you don't start crying and whining if you encounter a bug. Buy it now and deal with it or wait for the finished product.

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
most normal people wont pay full price for one map some place holders and a few unfinished things, with the hopes of downloading 1 (maybe 2) CDs worth of data over a period of months.. that is STUPID. plain and simple. this isnt a true demo or a beta of the game. Its an alpha, not even a true dev alpha either... which means its practically NOT UNREAL 2! This is nothing more than a playable tech demo. Tech demos arent games. I think you are a bit too excited about Unreal 2. It might be great, yeah woopity doo, but there is no reason to download something stolen, that is practically useless, just to get a small glimpse of what might be. I would understand the enthusiasm behind this stolen tech demo if it were actually a stolen Test Demo, where the game itself is the subject, and not the engine. I mean, the Unreal2 pumped UT CTF game demo they had probably has way more playablilty, its an actual CTF game for crying out loud. But you people downloading the stolen prealpha are getting excited at nothing. Have you never played a game with big maps? High poly models, and nice textures b4? Thats all the tech demo is. it doesnt reflect unreal 2 at all imho. go buy a new game, or go outside or something, there is no need to defend your position. The reason why the guys behind u2 dont want you to have it is because it doesnt reflect the product they are working on properlly. They can give two ****s whether you think the tech demo is a good game or not, its outdated and its theirs. Would you like it if you were working on a science project for a year only to have an early mock up that only displayed the basic idea, and not the true theory, of the project was stolen from you and everyone decided that it was free pickings. I dont think anyone would like that.

My point is stop being "fiends" (READ:Wanting the game more than anything else that could possibly be owned.)

Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
You're not very bright, sorry. :(

I could excuse the first dude that called me stupid as merely being ingnorant of the facts. However, the facts are right there in my post and I assume you read them. Therefore I have to think that you are stupid, touched in the head, not playing with a full deck, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, or mentally challenged.

"most normal people wont pay full price for one map some place holders and a few unfinished things, with the hopes of downloading 1 (maybe 2) CDs worth of data over a period of months.. that is STUPID."

First, I never suggested they sell this tech demo non alpha. I said if they had a couple of solo levels and a multiplayer level complete they could sell that as version 0.1. LEARN TO READ PLEASE.

Second, it isn't a theory that people <i>might</i> buy it before it was finished. It is a FACT that people HAVE bought products before they were finished. (see OS X) It is also a fact that hundreds of thousands of people downloaded one single solitary multiplayer only level of RtCW.

Lastly, something you and all your literary challenged friends seem to keep missing is the most important part..... I NEVER SAID PAY FOR THE WHOLE GAME AND ONLY GET A SMALL PART OF IT. I said, buy the game now and play what IS done while waiting for the rest to be completed. As the game is completed you can get point releases (v0.1, v0.2, v0.3...) until finally one day it is a finished v1.0 release product.

THIS ISN'T SOMETHING NEW HERE PEOPLE!!! This happens everyday with hundreds of software titles. There are many many benefits to it as well. For example:

I bought the release version of Unreal Tournament. Unreal Tournament v1.0. Is that the final product? Hell no. So now everytime I want to reinstall UT, I have to do the CD install and then apply a patch and map packs. If I had the ACTUAL final release of UT I could simply install it off the cd and I would be ready to play. This may seem like a minor thing, but when you consider that EVERY SINGLE GAME SOLD TODAY is the same way, if you have to reinstall Windows for any reason you have a lot of work ahead of you reinstalling games AND THEN UPDATING THEM.

As games get more and more complex, they of course take longer and longer to develope. The potential for bugs also increases dramtically, adding greatly to the development time. Companies don't like to wait years to see a return on their investment. Gamers don't like to wait years to play the games. Since there is a point in time where the game engine is complete as well as several levels, yet there is still six months to a year to go before ALL the levels are designed, mapped, modeled and textured, why not start selling it before it is complete to people who would rather wait for it to be complete WHILE they are playing it?

There simply is no reason not to, especially when the demand for the game is as high as it is for Unreal 2. Even so, why the hell do you even care? If you don't want to play it until it is finished, NO ONE is going to force you to buy it before it is. So it's really no concern of yours. Every game you buy is incomplete and buggy anyway, the only difference is that they try to pass it off as complete. At least this way you know it isn't the final product.

I don't see why you mental midgets are getting so up in arms over this idea. It's already being done, and only good comes from it. Everybody wins. So take your own advice and go breath some fresh air.... ya never know, it just might stimulate some brain cell growth.

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
save for maybe tribes 2, games for the most part are released finished. Patches fix bugs that are found after more people start playing the game. Some compaines, like Gravity (Ragnarok) allow for public testing so that most kinks can be found b4 the game is released but most companies simply cant or are forced to do otherwise. thousands downloading a one level demo doesnt mean much. It was hyped to hell n top of the fact that it is the first wolf game fans of the series have seen in ages.

about adding some sp levels and stuff to the prealpha U2 and then selling it.... its still a dumb idea. Adding levels, cleaning up the code, and adding whats missing to that prealpha would make it a regular demo, something that would normally be FREE on a website or in a magazine. This isnt an operating system, its a game. People want a finished product. Not some half assed version. Its people like you who are willing to buy unfinished trash that make companies like Sierra think that releasing games 6 months b4 they are finished is ok. You cant wait for U2? go read a book until its finished.

:rolleyes:

Note: im expecting another read my post better replies to one of my statements. Read my post real well before you do

Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
I'm done with you....

I've made it as clear as I could possibly make it. You just have a reading comprehension problem. I'm sorry you were unable to understand.

Good luck in life...

...you will need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.